Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7 Days in Entebbe

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Not having seen it yet, my guess is... They watered it down so as not to offend anyone, or to make the Israelis look too good?
    Yeah, because they get so much good press on a daily basis. Wouldn't want that to happen. Might go to their heads.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

My guess is that if you want to see it, you'll have to wait for it to come to Redbox, a cable movie channel, or the $5 bin at Wally Woild.
    Otherwise known as my cheap ass standard operating procedure.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Odd, it's really hard to fuck up terrorists getting shot and killed. That's like an instant thumbs up movie element, what the hell.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Odd, it's really hard to fuck up terrorists getting shot and killed. That's like an instant thumbs up movie element, what the hell.
    Maybe they were just in the process of turning their lives around...

/s

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe they were just in the process of turning their lives around...

/s
    "Just one more job, Ma, then I'ma gonna enroll in medical school."

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    "Just one more job, Ma, then I'ma gonna enroll in medical school."

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk

Well, that was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not by much.

This is what happens when the movie industry takes an actual historic event, full of enough genuine drama and intrigue for anyone, and decides to "interpret the real truth" as they like to say. I can understand what the production team was attempting to accomplish, they just failed miserably at it. The objective was obviously to present a more complicated and nuanced version of the events. Something more than the, "evil hijackers, heroic commandos" treatment you'd get from a Steven Segal or Chuck Norris flick. Unfortunately, big fails on all fronts.

The problem is that by trying to delve into all perspectives of the issue, none of them are well served. The only two characters you get to know in even the most basic sense are the two German extremists, played by Daniel Bruhl and Rosamond Pike. Bruhl's character is rather feckless and naieve throughout. He really seems to think that Israel will capitulate to their demands and never dreams that violence could be necessary. Pike's character is far more committed, until the end. Then, she seems to have an inexplicable turn of character in which she then believes they'll be killed and it was all a mistake. This 180 degree turn of the character seems to rest on the weak plot device that she's popping quaaludes throughout the movie, until Bruhl throws them across the room and she's forced to come down from her trip. Then it's, "oh fuck, where are we?" for the rest of it.

All of the other characters are just place fillers and you never really get to know them at all. The Israeli officials are just a bunch of old men sitting around bitching and whining. The commandos are just clothes hangers for their uniforms. When Yoni Netanyahu is killed it's no big deal, because you have no idea who he is if you're not up on the actual history. The only commando with anything to say is a young Lieutenant who seems to be there to add emotional weight, by way of his relationship with his dancer girlfriend.

Now we get to what everyone's been wondering about: the dancing.

An Israeli modern dance troupe is featured throughout, from the opening credits through to the raid. The Lieutenants girlfriend is a member of the company who serves as the typical female at home trope. The one who's questioning where his priorities lie and if it's all worth it, thereby making him ask the same questions. She looks great in a pair of shorts and leg warmers, but that's all I can say for the character. The whole relationship and the inclusion of the dance is obviously done to impart emotional impact, but it fails horribly. It winds up being a severe distraction in a movie that's already weak enough without any help.

The raid itself is hardly covered. Scenes of the commandos deploying from the C130's are interspersed with scenes from Hebraic All That Jazz. A huge artistic boondoggle. The whole sequence probably lasts less than a minute and a half. The young Lieutenant, whos commitment was openly questioned before deployment, jumps up and takes charge when Netanyahu is killed, while everyone else freezes like deer in the headlights. Again, a tired trope ill used. Dora Bloch, an elderly woman sent to the hospital and later killed by Amin's troops in revenge for the raid, is nowhere to be found. The film fails to lend any sense of risk or immediacy to the raid itself. It completely fails to project what a risk the operation was for the Israelis all the way around.

The film has been criticized as being pro Palestinian and anti Israel. I didn't get that sense and unless you're in the camp of, "The Jews are God's chosen people and Israel is always above reproach." I don't think you will either. The film makers tried to present a more nuanced and complex approach to the subject. The result is an unfocused mess of a movie that comes off like an expensive History Channel Docudrama.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-19-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    So.... stick with the 1970s TV movie versions?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Trooper- for saving me some time and frustration watching the movie.

And thanks Blues, for recommending the book “Operation Thunderbolt.” It was a much better use of my time.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 03-19-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Well, that was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not by much.

This is what happens when the movie industry takes an actual historic event, full of enough genuine drama and intrigue for anyone, and decides to "interpret the real truth" as they like to say. I can understand what the production team was attempting to accomplish, they just failed miserably at it. The objective was obviously to present a more complicated and nuanced version of the events. Something more than the, "evil hijackers, heroic commandos" treatment you'd get from a Steven Segal or Chuck Norris flick. Unfortunately, big fails on all fronts.

The problem is that by trying to delve into all perspectives of the issue, none of them are well served. The only two characters you get to know in even the most basic sense are the two German extremists, played by Daniel Bruhl and Rosamond Pike. Bruhl's character is rather feckless and naieve throughout. He really seems to think that Israel will capitulate to their demands and never dreams that violence could be necessary. Pike's character is far more committed, until the end. Then, she seems to have an inexplicable turn of character in which she then believes they'll be killed and it was all a mistake. This 180 degree turn of the character seems to rest on the weak plot device that she's popping quaaludes throughout the movie, until Bruhl throws them across the room and she's forced to come down from her trip. Then it's, "oh fuck, where are we?" for the rest of it.

All of the other characters are just place fillers and you never really get to know them at all. The Israeli officials are just a bunch of old men sitting around bitching and whining. The commandos are just clothes hangers for their uniforms. When Yoni Netanyahu is killed it's no big deal, because you have no idea who he is if you're not up on the actual history. The only commando with anything to say is a young Lieutenant who seems to be there to add emotional weight, by way of his relationship with his dancer girlfriend.

Now we get to what everyone's been wondering about: the dancing.

An Israeli modern dance troupe is featured throughout, from the opening credits through to the raid. The Lieutenants girlfriend is a member of the company who serves as the typical female at home trope. The one who's questioning where his priorities lie and if it's all worth it, thereby making him ask the same questions. She looks great in a pair of shorts and leg warmers, but that's all I can say for the character. The whole relationship and the inclusion of the dance is obviously done to impart emotional impact, but it fails horribly. It winds up being a severe distraction in a movie that's already weak enough without any help.

The raid itself is hardly covered. Scenes of the commandos deploying from the C130's are interspersed with scenes from Hebraic All That Jazz. A huge artistic boondoggle. The whole sequence probably lasts less than a minute and a half. The young Lieutenant, whos commitment was openly questioned before deployment, jumps up and takes charge when Netanyahu is killed, while everyone else freezes like deer in the headlights. Again, a tired trope ill used. Dora Bloch, an elderly woman sent to the hospital and later killed by Amin's troops in revenge for the raid, is nowhere to be found. The film fails to lend any sense of risk or immediacy to the raid itself. It completely fails to project what a risk the operation was for the Israelis all the way around.

The film has been criticized as being pro Palestinian and anti Israel. I didn't get that sense and unless you're in the camp of, "The Jews are God's chosen people and Israel is always above reproach." I don't think you will either. The film makers tried to present a more nuanced and complex approach to the subject. The result is an unfocused mess of a movie that comes off like an expensive History Channel Docudrama.
    Well, shit. Guess I'll go watch 6 Days again instead.

User Tag List