Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 7 Days in Entebbe

They fucked up a movie about killing terrorists then. Jesus.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So.... stick with the 1970s TV movie versions?
    That would be the best course of action.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Well, shit. Guess I'll go watch 6 Days again instead.
    I've watched 6 Days twice. a third viewing would still be infinitely better.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Okay, I finally saw it on pay per view.

Not much to add except it seemed strange to see all of the Israeli commandos armed with AKs for this mission. It isn't like they were trying to blend in and be Arabs, or they were a unit that would have had to have used captured weapons because it was the best thing that they could get.

I would have thought they would have shown them using Galil SARs in 5.56mm, The SAR is the version with the plastic handguards rather than the had the bulky wooden handguards and bipods, and are thus lighter weight and lend themselves better for shooting from various positions someone involved in a raid would find themselves in. These guns are more accurate than am AK, and have sights that are better and easier to adjust to hit a precise point of impact. I would think if they were going to do a hostage rescue operation having a gun with better sights that can be sighted in easier and is more accurate would be an important factor.
    Last edited by Ed L; 07-12-2018 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Not much to add except it seemed strange to see all of the Israeli commandos armed with AKs for this mission.
    Well, the events in Entebbe took place in 1976. The Galil was only formally adopted in 1972. It's possible that not all the units in IDF had Galils at that point?

And the Galil is an AK variant.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Okay, I finally saw it on pay per view.

Not much to add except it seemed strange to see all of the Israeli commandos armed with AKs for this mission. It isn't like they were trying to blend in and be Arabs, or they were a unit that would have had to have used captured weapons because it was the best thing that they could get.

I would have thought they would have shown them using Galil SARs in 5.56mm, The SAR is the version with the plastic handguards rather than the had the bulky wooden handguards and bipods, and are thus lighter weight and lend themselves better for shooting from various positions someone involved in a raid would find themselves in. These guns are more accurate than am AK, and have sights that are better and easier to adjust to hit a precise point of impact. I would think if they were going to do a hostage rescue operation having a gun with better sights that can be sighted in easier and is more accurate would be an important factor.
    Knowing Hollywood I wouldn't have been surprised to see them packing Tavor's.

So, I went to see what was available on Amazon. Searched "7 Days in Entebbe" and scrolling down, between "Beirut" and "Operation Thunderbolt" I see "Gigahoes"
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    It's possible that not all the units in IDF had Galils at that point?
    Or the movie gun company didn't have enough of them

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Added to My List on Audible.
    I downloaded and listened to the book back when I posted this. Fascinating story but maybe the first two thirds was the political debate (including man drama) leading up to the decision to even try.

I haven't seen the movie or how the raid was portrayed on screen, but my understanding is that the Israeli plan to move from the runway to the terminal involved presenting the facade of a Ugandan military unit, as there was hundreds of Ugandan troops at the airport. Though I've noticed the occasional error in an Osprey publication, Israel's Lightning Strike: The Raid on Entebbe 1976 notes the use of Ugandan paratrooper uniform by Sayerat Matkal.

As for the Kalashnikov, there is a quote from one of the commandos...

The moment that the wheels touched down I immediately loaded my weapon - a Klatch [AK47 Kalashnikov]. One of my friends shouted: "Don't load your weapon in the plane." But I told him to shut up. This is a real war. No rules anymore! (p.42)

According to the Osprey panel below, the Sayerat Matkal force was equipped with the Kalashnikov to present the appearance of Ugandan troops, while some of the paratroopers who were not involved in the deception but instead tasked to prepare the runway for the follow-on aircraft were equipped with the Galil.

Name:  Entebbe.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  55.5 KB

ETA: This thread caught my attention as I was hoping the movie offered a decent rendition of the events...but apparently...no.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 07-13-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I liked the movie that Charles Bronson was in: Raid on Entebbe.
    I saw it the night it premiered. I really liked it.

Lessee, is it available on Amazon Prime? Nope. Slackers!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List