Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: California Travel

Hammertime

RFI: California Travel

We will be headed to California to the Sierra Nevadas for a week this summer. Not a dangerous area.

Assuming I transport firearms locked in a separate compartment, exactly what is legal?

Purpose would be as cabin defense/go away bear for our residence.

Options:
    Glock 26 Gen 3 or 4? Not sure if different Gen Glocks legal or not?
    Beretta 1301T probably best, but sure if legal?
    Ruger Mini 14 (I only have stock 20 round mags.)

May be best to just leave the guns at home from what I have heard of CHP.

We loved our trip through Mammoth Lakes on the way to Lake Tahoe.

Can’t advise like a local Ca resident, but I did end up with:

Absolutely no magazines above 10 rounds (mailed them ahead) in our RV, and a locked up unloaded P30SK LEM while underway.

While camped , our Airstream became our domicile, and thus I was more, uh, prepared, in accordance with California law.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Read everything here and linked from here.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Glock 26 Gen 3 or 4? Not sure if different Gen Glocks legal or not?
    Beretta 1301T probably best, but sure if legal?
    Ruger Mini 14 (I only have stock 20 round mags.)
    As a CA escapee with most of my friends and family still stuck there, I still keep up on stuff there. All of the options you list are fine, minus the 20 round mags. Remember that there is an unloaded requirement as well as the locked part.

The roster of approved handguns only applies to residents, and does not actually prohibit them from owning guns not listed. For example, get 4 and up Glocks are not approved, but there are still a number of ways to acquire one legally as a resident. Private party transfers are the name of the game there.

Tube fed semi-auto shotguns are a solid California option in general, since California's war on scary guns has primarily focused on detachable magazines and scary features, none of which your 1301 has.

I'm assuming the Mini 14 is the standard version w/o a muzzle device, in which case it is a "featureless" gun, and thus good to go. CA frowns on flash hiders, so having one of those on an otherwise fine Mini 14 adds a scary feature and magically makes it an assault weapon.

Whatever you elect to take, remember that your camp is considered your temporary residence, so there is no need to stay unloaded if in your tent.
    TY83544

Hammertime
    Thanks all this is just what I was looking for.

Site Supporter
    So, here is my scenario:

Traveling from Nevada to central California to attend a 3-day competition handgun and PCC class. Taking three pistols with a bunch of 15 round magazines. Taking two AR type 9 mm PCCs with a bunch of 30 round magazines. 2,000 rounds of ammo.

Can I travel to a motel with everything separated?
    Do I need the guns locked in a box?
    Can I bring everything from car to room and back in the morning to go to class?
    Can I load my magazines if I keep them separate?
    Can I shoot what I brought at the class?
    Anything else I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    So, here is my scenario:

Traveling from Nevada to central California to attend a 3-day competition handgun and PCC class. Taking three pistols with a bunch of 15 round magazines. Taking two AR type 9 mm PCCs with a bunch of 30 round magazines. 2,000 rounds of ammo.

Can I travel to a motel with everything separated?
    Do I need the guns locked in a box?
    Can I bring everything from car to room and back in the morning to go to class?
    Can I load my magazines if I keep them separate?
    Can I shoot what I brought at the class?
    Anything else I need to know?
    Which CA state prison would you like to visit for a few years?
    Seriously, all those mags are felonies in CA unless you are an active or retired CA peace officer. Your AR PCC will undoubtedly meet the definition of banned CA “Assault Weapons” if they take detachable mags. What does the host of this class say about bringing that stuff into CA?

Loaded mags in same container with gun = loaded gun in CA. Unloaded in locked container with ammo separate is required. Any gun stuff visible in passenger compartment will likely result in uncomfortable questions and a search of vehicle by LE.
    Last edited by LtDave; 07-06-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    I am also traveling to CA for a couple of days, for a professional conference, en route to family events in other western states.

Everything locked up and inaccessible and unloaded while anywhere but in the hotel room is a given.

The pistol case is a Pelican that will contain only guns and magazines that take 10 or fewer rounds. There will be a couple of pocket Glocks for carry after CA is in the rear-view. There will be at least one .22, a 9mm, and a .380 or two. There may be an 870 stripped down in a duffle bag full of clothes.

The last time I went to this conference was in a different state. Carry was not an issue there due to reciprocity. I hope that my family enjoys the beach and aquarium while I am in classes.

Site Supporter
    I wonder how different CA LEO mindset is vs Texas LEO mindset.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I wonder how different CA LEO mindset is vs Texas LEO mindset.

Not all CA LEO's think the same (Some are also members here)
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List