Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Basic AIWB Holster Recomendations

OP, I would not recommend going cheap on something that positions a loaded handgun at either your femoral artery or your testicles.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    Maybe I am completely wrong
    I’d certainly agree with this sentiment.

You are basically disagreeing with people who have a tremendous amount of expertise because you don’t want to spend $30 extra bucks on a holster that is holding a firearm aimed essentially at your femoral. Not only is it a safety issue, but it’s also a form/function issue. Some of us here compete in USPSA from AIWB concealed and put down 35,000+ rounds per year that way. We have a BJJ black belt posting who is part of a handful of individuals who basically wrote the book on close quarter fighting with a handgun. We have several LEOs posting and a guy with an SOF background posting. They are all saying to try a handful of products because they have been pressure tested to death and work.

I get it though man, if the financial aspect is a deal breaker it’s all good. No one can force someone else to spend money on something they don’t want. However, I think many of us started out trying poorer quality holsters and evolved through numerous steps over time to what we use now. You can shortcut all of those steps and purchase a quality holster now that you can have for years. I can almost guarantee though, if you start with something cheap now for AIWB and carry/train a lot, it’s going to go into a box and collect dust after you order one of the holsters listed here. I’m certain most of us here all have a “holster box” full of things we’ve thrown in there in exchange for what we use now lol. I definitely do.

leathermaneod, I can give you some info on this statement (Do you happen to have a list of your required features? Maybe I am completely missing something....I thought aiwb holsters were pretty much a shell and a clip, with minor additions like a claw or a wedge...) from the perspective of one of the holster makers mentioned in this thread.

The basic characteristics of purpose built appendix holsters. This is an extremely condensed version

They rotate the grip into the body.
    This is done in basically 2 ways. First is an angular wedge built into the body of the holster during the molding process (Keepers Concealment Keeper, JMCK AIWB & George, CCC Shaggy, maybe some more that I haven't seen yet or am not aware of). The only real issue with this design for some people is belt line bulge problem. The pistol disappears, but the bulge created by the wedge can print and be an issue for skinnier people or those who wear fitted clothing. This is a very minimal design as most of the good ones will remove all the material that isn't necessary.
    The second way is to attach a claw/mod wing/tuck strut of some kind (DSG, JMCK, VDEV, MM, PHlster, etc). The claw rotates the grip into the body very well and this design usually has minimal belt line bulge. It is wider than a wedge design and has more material under the dust cover for attaching the claw.

They tilt the muzzle away from your body.

This is done by either adding a ergonomic shape into the holster during the molding process (JMCK Extra tuck, Phlster,VDEV, Henry holsters, etc) or by adding foam or neoprene wedges (JMCK, Keepers, MM, Raven, etc) that are attached to the outside of the holster by either bolting it on or by Velcro. The muzzle tilt can also be accomplished by adding length to the holster. More length equals more leverage and less roll out. Plus added length may get past your pelvic bone instead of sitting on it (this is completely body type and style dependent)

They have ride height and/or cant adjustment capabilities.

Appendix carry is usually about micro adjustments in carry position, ride height, cant, etc.

The fourth and probably most important. The holstermaker tries to put all three of these characteristics together without compromising one for the other and has the customers comfort, safety, and concealment needs in mind when we design the holster.

We all have subtle differences in how we achieve this, but in my opinion, this is where the separation of really good appendix holsters begins (and any good, well thought out, purpose driven concealment holster be it leather or kydex, for that matter) . Price point of any holster will go up the harder the maker tries to blend all of these characteristics together as seamlessly as possible, which will usually require more time spent per holster.

Other characteristics are belt loop style (fixed versus quick on/off), sweatguard styles (full, mid, none, in between, rear sight protection,) finishing process and results, etc:

In my opinion, unless you know something about what you are trying to achieve with the end result, buying a cheapo holster and trying to make it perform like a purpose built appendix holster is futile, it just won't be the same thing.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Tony Mayer; 12-10-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    leathermaneod, I can give you some info on this statement (Do you happen to have a list of your required features? Maybe I am completely missing something....I thought aiwb holsters were pretty much a shell and a clip, with minor additions like a claw or a wedge...) from the perspective of one of the holster makers mentioned in this thread.

The basic characteristics of purpose built appendix holsters. This is an extremely condensed version

This is done in basically 2 ways. First is an angular wedge built into the body of the holster during the molding process (Keepers Concealment Keeper, JMCK AIWB & George, CCC Shaggy, maybe some more that I haven't seen yet or am not aware of). The only real issue with this design for some people is belt line bulge problem. The pistol disappears, but the bulge created by the wedge can print and be an issue for skinnier people or those who wear fitted clothing. This is a very minimal design as most of the good ones will remove all the material that isn't necessary.
    The second way is to attach a claw/mod wing/tuck strut of some kind (DSG, JMCK, VDEV, MM, PHlster, etc). The claw rotates the grip into the body very well and this design usually has minimal belt line bulge. It is wider than a wedge design and has more material under the dust cover for attaching the claw.

This is done by either adding a ergonomic shape into the holster during the molding process (JMCK Extra tuck, Phlster,VDEV, Henry holsters, etc) or by adding foam or neoprene wedges (JMCK, Keepers, MM, Raven, etc) that are attached to the outside of the holster by either bolting it on or by Velcro. The muzzle tilt can also be accomplished by adding length to the holster. More length equals more leverage and less roll out. Plus added length may get past your pelvic bone instead of sitting on it (this is completely body type and style dependent)

Appendix carry is usually about micro adjustments in carry position, ride height, cant, etc.

The fourth and probably most important. The holstermaker tries to put all three of these characteristics together without compromising one for the other and has the customers comfort, safety, and concealment needs in mind when we design the holster.

We all have subtle differences in how we achieve this, but in my opinion, this is where the separation of really good appendix holsters begins (and any good, well thought out, purpose driven concealment holster be it leather or kydex, for that matter) . Price point of any holster will go up the harder the maker tries to blend all of these characteristics together as seamlessly as possible, which will usually require more time spent per holster.

Other characteristics are belt loop style (fixed versus quick on/off), sweatguard styles (full, mid, none, in between, rear sight protection,) finishing process and results, etc:

In my opinion, unless you know something about what you are trying to achieve with the end result, buying a cheapo holster and trying to make it perform like a purpose built appendix holster is futile, it just won't be the same thing.

Hope that helps.
    ...ya...what he said [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is just an honest question, MM can handle themselves on here; but did you contact MM and give them a chance to resolve the problem?

I’ve got three of their holsters, they work great. They’re not quite as good as my “Mercedes class” VoodooMan AIWB, but I don’t see the problems you saw.

OP, I believe that JM allows you to return the holster if you don’t like them. You can’t go wrong with JM Custom. You can’t go wrong with the recommendations from our experienced users in this thread and the fact that nearly everyone is saying the same thing is what they call “a clue”.

If I was offered a TRex sidecar for free, I’d rather pay for a VDM/JM Custom/MM.
    Sorry for the late reply. No I have not contacted the maker. So I apologize for not stating that previously. I have however had three different versions all have left me displeased. Again I feel like its a less well done dsg or vdev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not worth buying a cheap holster to futz around with and potentially creating an unsafe carrier for a firearm. If you wanted to play around with a blue gun or inert equivalent knock yourself out.

Tony from JMCK is top notch, I would 100% endorse picking up a holster from him and giving it a whirl. You will always end up with more holsters as you find one that works for you. Part of the life.

The majority of the folks on here have more experience than I do and I take their recommendations very seriously.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you, this was very helpful. And just so everyone knows, I went ahead and ordered a Mnmlist aiwb holster from Mastermind Tactics. Chris was extremely helpful in answering some questions I had and in giving some recommendations. He also responded very quickly, even though it is a weekend. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I will report back once I receive the holster and get a chance to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hope that helps.
    This should be a sticky. After doing a lot of reading and looking, this thread finally got me off my ass and I ordered a JMCK.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

See now that is the sort of info I was looking for when I asked a while back what sets the P-F endorsed holsters apart from the dime-a-dozen variety who just slap on a RCS wing and call it an AIWB holster.

I agree on the sticky sentiment. Too good a nugget of information to get buried when this topic eventually becomes old news.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I like the 'Atom' by Clinger Holsters. You can find them on eBay for $25. I added an RCS Overhook and a Claw. Thinking about adding a silicone cosmetic sponge for a wedge.
    Last edited by RolandD; 12-11-2017 at 07:36 PM.

User Tag List