Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic AIWB Holster Recomendations

Basic AIWB Holster Recomendations

Hi all,
    So I have tried aiwb in the past and liked it very much, but I had a couple issues that I couldn’t work out, so I switched to 4:00 carry. My issues were the gun poking out away from my body rather than straight up, and the grip sticking out too much. Well I recently read an article about using a gel heel insole between the muzzle area of the holster and the body to increase comfort and push the back of the slide in towards the body. After learning about this, I’d like to give aiwb another try. I’m looking for recommendations on a cheap kydex holster for this, less than $40. I don’t want to spend much on it because it’s only an experiment at this point. I’d love to get a Trex arms sidecar, but I’m not going to spend $100+ when I don’t even know how well this is gona work out. I’ve seen a couple cheap options on amazon and eBay, but I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations. Also, to those of you who have used the “claw”, does it really do much to tuck the grip in to the body?
    Thanks
    Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    I’d love to get a Trex arms sidecar, but I’m not going to spend $100+ when I don’t even know how well this is gona work out.
    The T.Rex Arms Sidecar is garbage, according to a lot of shooters that I trust. Check out this thread for a more technical discussion of the concept itself: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....le-vs-separate

I've not used their products, but Mastermind Tactics is a Supporting Business of PF, run by @Mack, and has stuff that meets or barely exceeds your desired price point: https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shopmastermind/
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 12-09-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Trex is 100% garbage stay far away.

As for cheap, you'd be best to post in the WTB sub or see if anyone is selling an older JM or DSG holster for cheap.

Also, just to point out the obvious, the gel thing is not designed for aiwb and it won't work the way a proper wedge system developed specifically for aiwb will. I did a post about this topic - http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/07/the-fac...ene-wedge.html
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If you're going to spend money on quality, you can't go wrong with JMC Custom kydex. Plenty of info on this site on his holsters, they are highly recommend. Personally I have had the T-rex and you are way better off for the money to use JMC.

In terms of fantastic quality/value, I highly recommend you try Mastermind tactics. Also read this, it may help; https://www.mastermindtactics.com/re...ster-selection

Edit, I guess I was slow to his the reply button. Good info by both.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 12-09-2017 at 02:04 PM.

You won't go wrong with a MasterMind holster imho, speaking from experience carrying a Glock 26 and 19 in mine.

You have the option of going with or without the claw. (But for the extra $7.50 it costs you can be a sport and get the best of both worlds, and you can remove it if desired.)

BTW, YMMV but I like the tall wedge when wearing without the claw. Whether you need the claw or not will be a function of your body type and how you wear the holster. I have a few holsters with, and a few without, and each works well for me by and large.
    Last edited by blues; 12-09-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Basic AIWB Holster Recomendations

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You won't go wrong with a MasterMind holster imho, speaking from experience carrying a Glock 26 and 19 in mine.

You have the option of going with or without the claw. (But for the extra $7.50 it costs you can be a sport and get the best of both worlds, and you can remove it if desired.)

BTW, YMMV but I like the tall wedge when wearing without the claw. Whether you need the claw or not will be a function of your body type and how you wear the holster. I have a few holsters with, and a few without, and each works well for me by and large.
    I would have to disagree with that. There designs are not very well thought out. I have also see huge inconsistencies holster to holster. I actually suspended my test of the holster. Tbh I dont trust it enough to carry it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ob1sbo; 12-09-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'd go with a Dark Star Gear holster, which is a much better option, along with JM. Keep in mind that as long as it's for a common gun the resale on these is pretty good assuming you decide to sell it.
    Last edited by Up1911Fan; 12-09-2017 at 03:57 PM.

First: what gun?

Second: honestly look at CCC, JM custom, Dark Star gear. They are all sponsors and put out great stuff, you can’t go wrong with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I'd go with a Dark Star Gear holster, which is a much better option, along with JM. Keep in mind that as long as it's for a common gun the resale on these is pretty good assuming you decide to sell it.
    I 100 percent agree. It seems like they copied a picture without understanding the idea behind the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ob1sbo View Post
    I would have to disagree with that. There designs are not very well thought out. I have also see huge inconsistencies holster to holster. I actually suspended my test of the holster. Tbh I dont trust it enough to carry it...

Sorry to hear it. Mine has been 100% reliable for both G26 and G19 for EDC, LEOSA qualifications and excellent retention and presentation. No issues with hardware, wedge nor soft loops.

Not that I doubt you may have had issues, but just to avoid any misunderstanding...I'd never recommend anything I didn't find to be worthwhile from personal experience. This goes for their other gear as well, such as belts.

I own several DSG and JMCK holsters with which I can compare and the Mastermind holster does not come up short. Each has features that keep them in my personal inventory. However, the OP set up price as a qualifier and the Mastermind is within his budget.

I have to say, though, I'm very surprised and disappointed to read of the negative experience.
    Last edited by blues; 12-09-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List