Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative to 1911 for appendix carry

StraightR, good points but i must add that I have way more rounds through DA/SA (free ammo from the Navy and Army) than I do in my current carry weapon. And I doubt I'd buy a new Sig anyway, if I got one it'd be a trade-in.

Doc, I think the most practical choices for me at this point would be either a G19 with gadget and sights, or an MP 2.0 compact with thumb safety. The latter would be far cheaper as I could carry it stock, and put the price difference into practice ammo.

I will have to try out an M&P with a safety to see if it's shootable for me. I already know I like Sig triggers, but I've never got an M&P on the range yet, much less one with the thumb safety.

Site Supporter
    One thing to consider is the shape of the weapon effects concealability. IME the Glock 17 is more difficult to conceal than other full sized service pistols. Another example would be the USP Compact vs the P2000. They use the same magazines and often fit in the same holsters but IME the P 2000 conceals better due to slight differences in shape.

If you are already up to speed in a 1911, I would take. Hard look at the DW Valkyrie - Buds gunshop has them very well priced a the moment.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-09-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara View Post
    Hi folks. I'm down to just one pistol at the moment, having given my gen4 G17 to my brother as a birthday present last year. Which was dumb, since he already has a 9mm P30, but oh well.

Currently I carry a full size 1911 in a JMCK appendix holster. I love it, except for two things... I am most familiar with TDA due to lots of time with the M9, but I'm open to other types.
    I got into Sig because the P220 was pretty close to a TDA 1911. You wouldn't be saving any size with a full size, but they do make a "carry" with a shorter slide and a "compact" that is shorter in both the slide and grip. The P245 is the older version of the P220 compact.

If you're really looking to stay with a 1911, a commander with a bobtail might work for you, but I've been out of the 1911 market for awhile so I'm not the one to ask for a specific recommendation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    A lightweight commander and a claw holster will fix it and keep you in platform.
    What he said. I carry a Commander-size 1911 AIWB regularly and it works fine. Even a steel Cmdr is pretty easy to carry. If the butt is too prominent there are round butt options available.

Glock 17/19, Beretta 92 Compact, etc... there are some good choices out there but I would probably pick one of those.

LW CCO (over a Commander of Government) is my choice for a 1911 AIWB.

If the length of the pistol is digging into sensitive bits or you've got issues with the grip, you may want to give the Px4 Compact another look. It's a good DA/SA, and has a very high capacity to "size" ratio. The grip is pretty squat, but importantly, the length is very squat for a 15 round gun, from the muzzle end, so you might find that it digs in less than some other options. With Beretta parts you can convert it to a G/Decocker only model since you said you don't like the Decocker safety.

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    If the length of the pistol is digging into sensitive bits or you've got issues with the grip, you may want to give the Px4 Compact another look. It's a good DA/SA, and has a very high capacity to "size" ratio. The grip is pretty squat, but importantly, the length is very squat for a 15 round gun, from the muzzle end, so you might find that it digs in less than some other options. With Beretta parts you can convert it to a G/Decocker only model since you said you don't like the Decocker safety.
    PX4 compact also has rounded edges
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    There are some 1911 pistols made with a rounded grip. The grip is rounded at the back/bottom. Sig makes the Nightmare and there is an EMP version. I am thinking of AIWB carry and have learned a little from this thread. I am leaning toward a Sig P225- slim slide and a nice and round grip.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    For clarity, can we assume this is a typo?

Should probably be "inexpensive"?
    Yep. Typo.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

My 3 main carry guns are full sized 1911 70% of the time, beretta m9a1 compact 20%, and a g19 10%. I carry aiwb 99% of the time and find the 1911 is the most comfortable and easiest to conceal. I use a jmcustom aiwb 2.0 with extra tuck. The Glock holster is the same but without the extra tuck. It prints more and I do notice the width difference. I need to throw some foam on it.
    The beretta uses a m3 tactical aiwb holster but I have another 2.0 with extra tuck getting made by jmcustom.

In the end i think your belt and holster has more to with concealability than the gun.

User Tag List