Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Serious Accuracy

Had a chance to fondle the VP-9 and PPQ today - both fit my hand well and much better than my Gen 3 G17. With the Glock in a one hand "Bullseye" hold, I can just barely reach far enough to deactivate the trigger safety. While I've always been able to shoot the Glock just fine with two hands, one hand has been a challenge due to the bulk of the grip and the long heavy pull of the trigger. So in a way I'm going back to my roots as a Bullseye competitor and looking for a defensive pistol that I can shoot well single handedly.

In terms of trigger pull the PPQ and VP-9 differ a bit from each other, but as expected both are noticeably smoother and lighter compared to the Glock. While the VP-9 has smoother take up to the wall, there is discernable travel from the wall to the break. To me it feels like a smooth take-up and then a smooth, short roll to the break.

Compared to the VP-9, the PPQ has a longer and not-quite-as-smooth take-up to the wall, but once there the break is amazing: short and clean, much like a SA trigger. A key factor for me is that the PPQ's trigger stages further back in the pull, thus making the trigger easier to reach and control for precision shots. Holding the PPQ in a proper one hand "Bullseye" hold (barrel axis aligned with forearm), I had no problem staging the trigger and then squeezing a clean break - nice!

While I have no plans of joining a Bullseye league with the PPQ, I do plan on burnishing my one-hand shooting skills. I'm going to test fire a PPQ next week and if as I suspect I can shoot it better than my G17, my decision will be made. I'm glad I finally got around to seriously looking into alternatives to my Glock.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    One of the guys on Lightfighter did some serious testing on the VP-9. Best 50 yard group from 6 fired was 1.52” with a 2.40” average. The HK45’s will throw down groups that will make custom 1911’s look average.

I think that was "Molon"
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

I think the HK USP 45 or 9MM Expert would qualify. Sights can be changed to Meprolight Tritium as it is a factory catalog replacement. I can't do it but the gun will hold less the 2" at 50 yards without a problem. DA/SA "Sweet" Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Had a chance to fondle the VP-9 and PPQ today - both fit my hand well and much better than my Gen 3 G17. With the Glock in a one hand "Bullseye" hold, I can just barely reach far enough to deactivate the trigger safety. While I've always been able to shoot the Glock just fine with two hands, one hand has been a challenge due to the bulk of the grip and the long heavy pull of the trigger. So in a way I'm going back to my roots as a Bullseye competitor and looking for a defensive pistol that I can shoot well single handedly.

In terms of trigger pull the PPQ and VP-9 differ a bit from each other, but as expected both are noticeably smoother and lighter compared to the Glock. While the VP-9 has smoother take up to the wall, there is discernable travel from the wall to the break. To me it feels like a smooth take-up and then a smooth, short roll to the break.

Compared to the VP-9, the PPQ has a longer and not-quite-as-smooth take-up to the wall, but once there the break is amazing: short and clean, much like a SA trigger. A key factor for me is that the PPQ's trigger stages further back in the pull, thus making the trigger easier to reach and control for precision shots. Holding the PPQ in a proper one hand "Bullseye" hold (barrel axis aligned with forearm), I had no problem staging the trigger and then squeezing a clean break - nice!

While I have no plans of joining a Bullseye league with the PPQ, I do plan on burnishing my one-hand shooting skills. I'm going to test fire a PPQ next week and if as I suspect I can shoot it better than my G17, my decision will be made. I'm glad I finally got around to seriously looking into alternatives to my Glock.
    Depending on your planned use for the gun it may serve you to look at the Q5 Match. It has an even better trigger, better sights and is optic ready too. I personally would go with a 5" PPQ for any defensive role due to the light trigger of the Q5 but they are basically the same gun.

O/P is a revolver out of consideration? I'm also ignorant of the rules but many revolvers will do the accuracy part with the right load.

Edit: Just checked. I'd look at the Walther, HK or Sig options already stated in that order.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 12-13-2017 at 10:47 PM.

If the various USPs can be used, I'd be hard pressed to be convinced to not acquire a USP9 Expert with an LEM Match Hybrid Trigger installed. Or a USP9/45 with LEM Match Hybrid.

Alternatively, an LEM HK45 would be next on my list.

VP9 would come after that.

Then P30L.

I wouldn't bother with anything not an HK or well built 1911 for production with these accuracy requirements.

I've lost count of how many times I have hit a soda can at 50 yds on my first or second shot with various Hks.

This was also my first shot at 50yds:
    Name:  tmp_18853-20170312_1129451038918101.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  88.7 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Oils and Lotions SME
    It doesn't meet your criteria exactly, but a used S&W 5906 PPC is a horse made for this course. I've used both the 5" and 6" variants and they are lovely.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Depending on your planned use for the gun...
    It will be used as my primary HD weapon (currently the G17), be carried occasionally in lieu of my PPS, and for ringing steel and shooting tiny groups at the range. I'm also planning on taking it to the Sig Academy (short drive from where I live) for their Low Light Pistol Operator course, where I will use a hand held only.

I think for a good crossover HD/Competition gun, the PPQ is excellent. The only reason I don't still have one is that I have a budget and am heavily invested in HK p-series mags and equipment.

I found the same experience comparing the VP9 and PPQ shooting characteristics. Very similar in capability, but I liked the PPQ trigger a bit better as it is as close to a LEM type pull that I've found in a striker gun. I also like the long take up to a crisp break and found it easy to stage for precision shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a PPQ .45 as a "certification loaner" in my CCW classes due to New Mexico's goofy ass permitting rules.
    Amazingly accurate and easy to shoot pistol, EVERYBODY shoots it well.
    As a range or comp pistol it'd be perfect, but IMO the trigger is too light for HD and WAY too light for AIWB.
    Granted this particular pistol has a lighter trigger than my wife's older PPQ M1 and her new PPQ Q5.
    The gun shoots so well that I've researched ways to add 2-3# to the trigger just so I can make it a HD pistol, but it seems adding weight to triggers isn't the popular thing to do these days.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List