Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Share your 1st days and weeks of Conceal Carry... I'm about to start my journey.

Quote Originally Posted by sissupr View Post

Three questions for the forum...

1. When did you know you were (at least the most ready you would be) ready to walk out of your house and start carrying?

2. What was one lesson learned from when you did start carrying?

3. Besides your firearm, what's the one item that you always bring with you (flashlight, knife, etc...)?

Tx. Joe
    Greetings!

Answers:

1. I was mandated to carry, so there was no such thing as “knowing” I would be “ready.” My training had been in a police academy, with the duty rig. There had been no training with our concealed-carry rigs.

2. Well, that being March 1984, I am not sure I can remember “one” lesson learned at the “start.” I remember that I started carrying a 2.5” S&W Model 66, but that I soon gravitated toward concealing a 4” duty revolver, rather early, and have tended to favor carrying 4”-to-5” barreled handguns as “primary” since that time. Now that I have retired, and my mission has changed, it remains to be seen whether I reduce the size of my favored carry weapons.

3. I have been carrying a knife, or two, since grade school, in the Seventies. Carry a knife. Even computer geeks carry knives. Opening tamper-resistant packaging with one’s teeth is difficult, and looks silly. Stout blades, and substantial handles, make it easier to cut precisely, without making slip-ups and errors.

Lights: I favor the Surefire LX2 Digital Lumamax. I have several, and a very nice thermal-molded Kydex-like belt carrier. It has been superseded by newer models, by now, but every Surefire light seems to require a different-sized sheath or holster, so I am not going to change lights for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Greetings!

Answers:

1. I was mandated to carry, so there was no such thing as “knowing” I would be “ready.” My training had been in a police academy, with the duty rig. There had been no training with our concealed-carry rigs.

2. Well, that being March 1984, I am not sure I can remember “one” lesson learned at the “start.” I remember that I started carrying a 2.5” S&W Model 66, but that I soon gravitated toward concealing a 4” duty revolver, rather early, and have tended to favor carrying 4”-to-5” barreled handguns as “primary” since that time. Now that I have retired, and my mission has changed, it remains to be seen whether I reduce the size of my favored carry weapons.

3. I have been carrying a knife, or two, since grade school, in the Seventies. Carry a knife. Even computer geeks carry knives. Opening tamper-resistant packaging with one’s teeth is difficult, and looks silly. Stout blades, and substantial handles, make it easier to cut precisely, without making slip-ups and errors.

Lights: I favor the Surefire LX2 Digital Lumamax. I have several, and a very nice thermal-molded Kydex-like belt carrier. It has been superseded by newer models, by now, but every Surefire light seems to require a different-sized sheath or holster, so I am not going to change lights for a while.
    1. As others have stated, a good belt and holster are real keys to comfort. I would recommend a double layer belt (Beltmens) or something with a kydex backing for stiffness (Comp Tac, Crossbreed for example). These distribute the weight and you will forget you are carrying.

2. To your question. I also carry a SWA and my phone has a light. More importantly I carry a spare mag, more to equalize weight and habit. When I started we were advised by our attorney plus some of the wife's former coworkers (police) to carry as her ex husband was a stalker and always fully loaded with vicodin. We were told to be ready to empty the mag reload, be ready to empty that mag, and be prepared to beat the guy with the pistol while trying to get away. Hopefully your need is not like that.

When I got on the job, I began to carry my service revolver, a SW Mod10 4inch barrel religiously. Easily motivated since I lived in a less than desirable neighborhood in NYC. One day I went to the bank ( back when banks where open 9-5 and limited ATMs existed. As I walked around the streets of Queens I realized that no one was looking at me, no one had a clue I was carrying a gun. Secondly, I realized how limited the gun was. While on line in the bank I did a If/Then scenario involving an armed hold up. I quickly figured out if I discharged my weapon, some innocent person was likely to get shot, as the area is densely populated. As I left, to my surprise, an old high school buddy was actually walking a foot post (NYPD) in the area. We chatted on the street corner. When he found out I was in the academy he asked if I was packing. He then pulled up my jacket fully exposing my sidearm. Even with dozens of people walking about, no one even noticed my exposed firearm. Most people are oblivious to what is going on around them, even in close proximity.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Site Supporter
    I started carrying in early '82 when I got firearms certified as a jail deputy. The 4" M64 .38 I was carrying felt like a brick and I was convinced everyone could tell I had it. I wore the gun around my place for a week or two getting used to the weight and just threw a cover garment, if not already concealed, over the gun when I went out. This is essentially what I do thirty-six years later. A service size semi-auto (usually) or a five shot airweight revolver (when my back is acting up) is my constant companion, with at least one reload, even when at home. If I need to leave, I just ensure everything is covered up and out the door I go.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 04-12-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    I started carrying concealed when I became a cop (1981). My state did not have CCW for private citizens until 2011.

Recommendations:

(1.) Buy a quality gun. Years ago I knew of cops who bought a Bryco or a Bersa or an AMT Backup for off duty or backup use and then were all unhappy when the gun wouldn't function with hollowpoint ammunition. Or maybe wouldn't reliably function at all. One guy I used to work with justified buying cheap by saying "I'm not like you. I don't go target shooting. I just need a gun that I can use in an emergency to save my life . . " (he was NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer).
    (2.) Buy a quality holster and belt and ammunition carrier combination. Friends don't let friends carry Fobus. Get a real holster. Buy quality. A good holster will last about forever.
    (3.) Always carry at least one reload.
    (4.) Dress around the gun. Buy a variety of clothing items useful in concealing a firearm in a variety of weather conditions. If you carry IWB then buy pants specific for that purpose that are about two inches bigger in the waist.
    (5.) It's the 21st century. Always carry a fully charged cell phone. A cell phone is more useful in most emergencies than a gun is.
    (6.) A good quality folding knife and a small high intensity flashlight are also useful items to have.

I personally don't usually carry IWB and I never carry in a pocket (too hard to access the gun while seated or moving -- and besides, I NEED my pockets to put stuff in). My primary off duty gun was a 3 inch S&W Chief's Special Revolver for YEARS and now it's a Glock 43 or Glock 19.

PRACTICE on a regular basis with your carry gun & gear FROM CONCEALMENT if you can (I know some private and commercial ranges have rules that may limit what you can do)

User Tag List