Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your 1st days and weeks of Conceal Carry... I'm about to start my journey.

I’d recommend that you spend a couple of years with a holster at 3-4:00 and get really comfortable with concealed carry in general before you do this. For seasoned pistoleros, AIWB is marginally faster than the 3-4:00 position and it has a few other minor advantages, but it’s really not the place to start out. Let me know what kind of pistol you're carrying and I might be able to send you a good non-AIWB holster to use until you get your feet on the ground.

Welcome to P-F.com and to the world of concealed carry, but please rethink your use AIWB.

Okie John
    Thanks for everyone’s reply. I’m not opposed to trying 3/4 position for what you commented on. I will be having my 1st holster class next week with live fire. I’m using a USP Compact 9mm.
    Last edited by sissupr; 12-09-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sissupr View Post
    Thanks for everyone’s reply. I’m not opposed to trying 3/4 position for what you commented on. I will be having my 1st holster class next week with live fire. I’m using a USP Compact 9mm.
    Can't help you with a rig for that one, but the Blade Tech Nano is a good place to start. https://shop.blade-tech.com/?cPath=1_13_16#.WixDfbQ-d-U They're cheap and adaptable.

Don't worry that you've already got holsters on the way. One of the best-kept secrets of concealed carry is that you quickly end up with a big box full of holsters that were almost right.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 12-09-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Banned
    First I have to say that there are literally hundreds of people on this forum better qualified to answer this question. I started carrying in 2007 and I really don't think I actually was properly prepared until about 2013.

I started carrying a 1911 with an empty chamber (for "safety"). One morning someone tried to mug me and I "whipped out my piece". It wasn't till after He was gone and I stopped shaking that I realized I'd never made any attempt to chamber a round. Carry with a round in the chamber.

I spent probably 4 years and several hundred dollars trying to get around buying a decent holster designed for MY gun and a purpose designed gun belt. Listen to the people who are telling you to buy the correct equipment.

From 2007 to about 2013 my only source of knowledge WRT firearms and concealed carry was Internet gun forums (unfortunately not this one then) and YouTube videos. In 2013 I actually got a chance to be professionally trained by a guy who has received extensive training at Gunsite. With all my internet knowledge I was literally lost in the first class I took. I've made it a point to take 2 classes every year from this guy since.

The primary result of what little experience and training I've managed to accumulate is that my main goal is to look for ways to simplify the process. I started with 1911s then transitioned to TDA guns then to Striker fired guns.

The things I never leave home without are a Multitool, flashlight, folder and phone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’d recommend that you spend a couple of years with a holster at 3-4:00 and get really comfortable with concealed carry in general before you do this. For seasoned pistoleros, AIWB is marginally faster than the 3-4:00 position and it has a few other minor advantages, but it’s really not the place to start out. Let me know what kind of pistol you're carrying and I might be able to send you a good non-AIWB holster to use until you get your feet on the ground.

Welcome to P-F.com and to the world of concealed carry, but please rethink your use AIWB.
    I think this is pretty good advice. I carried at the 3-4:00 position for a bunch of years before I transitioned to AIWB. The first few classes I attended I used an OWB holster at 4:00. After switching to AIWB I attended another class and shot from the AIWB position and wore clothes that are typical for me when carrying. That really helped me analyze the performance of my gear and carry method.
    Last edited by Robinson; 12-11-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    There wasn't a big hurdle to go over. I just started doing it. There was no "Ok, now I'm ready" moment, even though now I can look back and obviously I know a whole lot more now than I did then.

First time you do it you think everyone knows you have a weapon. Turns out nobody pays a damn bit of attention, especially if you don't look and act like a banger, which I'd wager most of us here don't. Other than that there's been a carousel of holsters trying to find the perfect one. I also started at 4:00 then switched to AIWB before it was cool. I just decided it worked better, even though at the time the prevailing sentiment on gun forums was "you'll shoot your nuts off". Fortunately, I didn't.

Other carry gear is the usual - knife, flashlight, tourniquet. TBH I don't carry my weapon or tourniquet at work on site (contractor/carpenter). But I use my knife and flashlight all the time.

My 1st holster class is this Sat 12/16 at a LGS in Chicago. I'll post my experiences and FOR questions on my 1st day EVER drawing from a holster. Here's the LGS website... I'm in no way affiliated with them, or ever been to this range. It's about 45min from my house and the only range I found that has a holster class, or at least advertises it.

https://www.gatguns.com/next-step-co...ctical-holster

I get my Vedder Light tuck holster for my carry gun today, one for my USP Compact 9 and another for my P238. So I'll be walking at home at 3-4 position and get as comfortable as possible for the next 5 days...

Thanks again everyone. By far more replies that I ever thought I would get. I'll keep building on this thread with new ones about my 1st day experience drawing/live fire. This thread has some great information for other newbie CCW license holders and I'm glad the community here is willing to help out...

Stay tuned!

Joe
    Last edited by sissupr; 12-11-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Paging @Les Pepperoni.

Finding the correct pants rise is one of the most important factors in AIWB comfort and conceal-ability.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sissupr View Post
    My 1st holster class is this Sat 12/16 at a LGS in Chicago. I'll post my experiences and FOR questions on my 1st day EVER drawing from a holster. Here's the LGS website... I'm in no way affiliated with them, or ever been to this range. It's about 45min from my house and the only range I found that has a holster class, or at least advertises it.

https://www.gatguns.com/next-step-co...ctical-holster

I get my Vedder Light tuck holster for my carry gun today, one for my USP Compact 9 and another for my P238. So I'll be walking at home at 3-4 position and get as comfortable as possible for the next 5 days...

Thanks again everyone. By far more replies that I ever thought I would get. I'll keep building on this thread with new ones about my 1st day experience drawing/live fire. This thread has some great information for other newbie CCW license holders and I'm glad the community here is willing to help out...

Stay tuned!

Joe
    Lots of shooting talent in the Northern IL area. Wish I could direct you further, but guys like Les Pepperoni will have some very solid recommendations.

I think Excel training group works out of GAT from time to time, and they have some good beginner level classes, if you're looking to try a few different guns.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It was a long, long time ago.

As a prudent man, my first carry was a Sterling .22 in a home made boot holster.

User Tag List