Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your 1st days and weeks of Conceal Carry... I'm about to start my journey.

Share your 1st days and weeks of Conceal Carry... I'm about to start my journey.

1. Honestly, before I even got my permit, which might have been naive, but I was spoiled... my permit class was at Rangemaster with Tom Givens as my instructor.

2. Make sure that you understand the gravity of what you’re doing and potential consequences of actions. The time that my then girlfriend flipped off a driver in traffic and I reached back for my gun as he got out of his truck and started walking back toward mine was a pivotal moment that I still remember 20 years later.

3. I always carry a flashlight. No matter where I am. Work, airplane, even when I don’t have my gun, I carry a light. Not because I need it to use my gun, but because I use it a lot more than anything else I carry.

I applaud you on your decision to take personal responsibility for your own safety. There is a wealth of information on the subject available these days. Take advantage of all of it, but think critically about all of it. Username #43under and I are co-founders of a blog that was initially somewhat dedicated to new gun owners. If you look back at some of our early posts, I’d like to think that it would be a useful resource. Check out www.civiliangunfighter.com

That URL will redirect to our Wordpress site.

Try to take at least one class per year from a vetted trainer to maintain your skills and always strive to learn. There are a lot of well known good voices on this forum. Read and learn. I know I have.

Take Mike Pannone’s advice (and take his Covert Carry class)... Do ten practice draws every day before you walk out the door to make sure your concealment garment and method of carry work as you expect. Among the many resources available, Pannone just recently started “Concealed Carry Wednesdays” on Instagram, where he does a short video instructional point related to CCW. Look up his company CTT Solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LJP; 12-08-2017 at 10:56 PM.

#3- Since you're in Illinois, do not leave your house with your gun without your permit. Ever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I had grown up being around guns and shooting, then went into the military and was there for more than 10 years. When I got out, I eventually went into law-enforcement when I was 35. When I graduated the academy, I immediately started carrying off-duty also. I started out with an IWB holster from Don Hume but just your everyday, run-of-the-mill belt. I quickly learned a few lessons.

A - Get a good belt made specifically as a gunbelt. There are a large selection of makers to choose from now that weren't there 20+ years ago when I started carrying all the time. The same goes for the holster.

B - Most people around you are so absorbed in their own little world, they're lucky to not walk into lamp posts and other obstacles, so they'll probably never even consider that you're armed, much less "make" you. Just watch people at some mall, a big parking lot or other similar location. Very little movement of the head left or right, with quite a few staring at that magic box people call a cell phone. Once I realized that, I got an OWB holster for more comfort. Now, if I was not an LEO and I lived someplace like you apparently do, with liberals all around and a gun-hating government culture, I'd probably still try very, very hard to ensure I never printed or let anyone see I might be carrying.

As for what I carry with me all the time besides the weapon, it's going to be at least one reload (mag or speedloader), pepper spray, cell phone, good folding knife and a flashlight. There's a couple of other things that I carry when I know I'll probably have to go into a bad area.

I always carry a gun, a spare mag and a light. Lately it’s been a G17 and streamlight protac 1L. Going back to a G19 because concealment is easier with it. Common shit is common for a reason - don’t needlessly complicate your life trying to constantly search for “better.”

My best advice would be to get into a class with Tom Givens as soon as you can. If a person could only take one training course that’d be a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small powerful flashlight on weak side.

Small Sabre Red - using the gun might let you survive, but your life will NOT take a turn for the better and more likely may take a turn for the worse no matter the circumstances.

Bladetech 1.5” biothane belt - price is right, always looks good, works like a boss. Surprisingly thin and cost-effective.

Use a quality holster. Don’t be afraid to try something else.

A concealed carry class that focuses on the legal obligations, risks and ramifications - even better with a local focus (maybe USCCA). I observed a discussion between a local prosecuting and defense attorney who were also aware of local history and politics - the experience was priceless.

People are clueless. Don’t fiddle with your gun, it’s the most obvious ‘tell’ that you are carrying.

Lear about dry fire and practice. Test your dry fire practice in live fire.

Carry a quality gun but always know it is the indian more than the arrow.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

1. Ready to?
    In hindsight I probably wasn't actually ready. But I got my carry license at 23 just after I graduated, and with no more training than an Appleseed weekend and an Army officer meeting me at the range one day to teach me a tiny bit about pistols, immediately started carrying my PT-111 MilPro. I started with an empty chamber at first because I was somewhat nervous and convinced that everyone could see I was carrying.

Eventually several years went by where I didn't train or practice at all, and generally only pocket-carried a .380. (yes, yes, I was bad)

Beginning of this year, I got more serious and my wife started getting into it. I went out and got a better quality pistol, a good holster and belt, and took a training class from a local ex-LE/mil instructor. I shoot more regularly than I ever have before. I know I still probably don't train/practice "enough" and some additional training classes would be great... but I'm better off than I was before. It's kind of one of those "the more you learn, the less you know" sort of things. Admittedly I sometimes feel rather inadequate around here, in a crowd where lots of members regularly shoot more in a few months than I have my entire life.

Ideally everyone would start from the very beginning with a world-class instructor, just like it would be ideal if every brand-new pilot could learn from the likes of Bob Hoover... but that's not really practical. I guess you just do the best you can, and at some point you just have to start.

2. What I learned...

* Maintaining any kind of practice regimen gets infinitely harder when you have a toddler and a wife who can't drive at the moment
    * For me, at least, practice is like working out. If I don't enjoy it or I don't have some kind of competitive link/accountability/group thing to make me do it, I tend not to. That's why I don't generally lift weights and tend to stick to bikes, running, and cardio machines. Same goes with shooting--I'm really bad about doing regular dry fire practice, somewhat better about practicing with my airsoft clones and the laser trainer, and using some of the drills posted here puts pressure on me when I'm live firing. Competition shooting will do that too--I can't do much of it because of my work schedule but both from my class this year and from the 3-gun match I shot, shooting with that time/competition pressure is both humbling and eye-opening.
    * Buy once, cry once. Stick to a reputable brand and be prepared to spend at least the cost of your gun on a holster, class, and practice ammo just to get started.

3. Thing I bring

In general, I try to always have some kind of knife or multitool. I probably ought to have at least a small flashlight but I rely on my phones for that, usually.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sissupr View Post
    Three questions for the forum...

1. When did you know you were (at least the most ready you would be) ready to walk out of your house and start carrying?

2. What was one lesson learned from when you did start carrying?

3. Besides your firearm, what's the one item that you always bring with you (flashlight, knife, etc...)?

Tx. Joe
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your permit!

1) Training told me I was as ready as I could be at the time. Keep in mind that I was taking classes before 'shall issue' was implemented in VA and thus got my permit later.

2) Be as aware of your surroundings as much of the time as possible. Avoid stupid people and stupid places (especially the ones where emotions can easily run high). Most conflicts you encounter in your daily life are stupid and not worth fighting over.

2) Good gun belt, holster and spare mag carrier; spare mag, flashlight, knives (yes plural).
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

You're lucky that you found this forum so early on. I started carrying last year. Expect to spend more money than you think on gear, but it's not that bad if you don't have to do the trial and error that most people, do. Having said that, it is always what works for you.

IMO, mandatory reading is: 1. Deadly Force by Mas Ayoob, where he goes into the legal and mental aspects of everyday carry. 2. Law of Self-Defense, by Andrew Branca, and he also goes into the legal aspects.

1. Holsters: stick with the vendors on this site - I started with Stealthgear, which is a nice beginner holster, in that it's very comfortable and doesn't take much adjustment - but as you start to train more, you'll notice that Kydex is the best. I'm converting everything over to JM Custom. That was costly (I also got Stealthgear when they were priced lower and with a military discount, so it wasn't as expensive as it is now).

2. You have to get a gun belt. I use Relentless Tactical, which is nice enough to look as a regular belt, too. They have great customer service, and will exchange if you get the wrong size, with no problem.

3. Agree, that you may have to start dressing around the gun. I struggled with pants for a bit, and I think I have a thread on it somewhere - but I then Vertx Delta stretch is the best (pricey, but if you wait for a sale around $65 bucks), but also happy with 5.11 Apex tactical.

4. It is a 100% normal to fiddle with the firearm when it's in your holster; don't.

5. Don't take it out of the holster to show people, even at the range or LGS - that's how bad things happen; the only time you take it out of the holster is if you are training or about to use it for real.

6. I started by getting a WML on my EDC, because I thought I needed it - further study and reading has convinced me that it is not a necessity; and it only adds to the difficulty of matching a holster with your EDC+WML; but you DO need a light source. A lot of great options out there. I also carry a folder, as I'm sure most people do. Less so for self-defense, though.

7. My CCW license - sounds stupid, but I've heard of cops pulling people over, and they don't have it on their person.

8. Join Armed Citizen Legal Defense Fund: there are a lot of these carry insurance products - this one is the best one, and they give you a lot of training and educational products.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Small powerful flashlight on weak side.
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    3. I always carry a flashlight. No matter where I am. Work, airplane, even when I don’t have my gun, I carry a light. Not because I need it to use my gun, but because I use it a lot more than anything else I carry.
    This. I have come truly close to drawing my gun 1, *maybe* 2 times in 4+ years of carrying, but I use my light and/or knife nearly every day. If you're not already carrying a light everywhere, you'll be surprised how often you use it once you have it with you all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sissupr View Post
    Hi All, Just joined the board and I think it's appropriate considering that I just received my CCL in the mail a couple weeks ago, started my CCW safe plan, my holsters arrive tomorrow (12/9), and my 1st holstering class is next week.

The entire journey from knowing I wanted to CC to the point I am now, was about 3 months. I didn't grow up in a household of firearms, nor did I ever shoot one till about 4 months ago. It's now more then a hobby for me as I continue to find firearms I like, don't like, wish I had etc... It's definitely been a wild turn in priorities for me over the past months.

I'm not sure when I will actually start to carry, but I feel like I'm close. My holster class is next week, which allows for holster practicing at the range after you attend their 2h class in Chicago-land. I'm pretty sure I will be walking around the house with my firearm on my person AIWB for while until I feel totally comfortable with drawing from concealment.

Until then and after... I will continue to learn and learn and learn and train and repeat, watch youtube, read forums, take classes, go to the range, practice one handed, off handed, etc...

Three questions for the forum...

1. When did you know you were (at least the most ready you would be) ready to walk out of your house and start carrying?

2. What was one lesson learned from when you did start carrying?

3. Besides your firearm, what's the one item that you always bring with you (flashlight, knife, etc...)?

Tx. Joe
    1. I wasn’t ready, I just read about concealed carry in Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, and the American Handgunner, then bought the gear they recommended and started doing it. This was a long time ago in a non-permissive environment and I didn't realize for many years what a massive risk I had been taking. I didn’t actually become ready until a couple of decades later when I took a two-day class from a nationally known instructor with an LE background and realized how fucked up I was. I made major upgrades in mindset, gear, and technique after that.
    2. Other folks have covered this well.
    3. Spare mag, knife, light, and phone.

I’m a little surprised that no one has commented on AIWB carry, so I’ll take on that one.

Drawing a gun for keeps—even if you don’t fire—comes with a massive adrenalin dump that can make it very hard to do things that require fine motor skills: decocking, reholstering, swapping mags, etc. Even in training, more people have negligent discharges while reholstering than in any other part of the process. Unfortunately, reholstering in AIWB puts the muzzle of the gun very close to your femoral arteries, your genitals, your pelvis, and the north end of your femur(s). None of those things respond well to getting shot. Seriously, spend some time reading posts by Nyeti, Wayne Dobbs, anyone with “LSP” in their handle, Lost River, and other folks who go armed for a living. Pay particular attention to their thoughts on what happens in the first few seconds/minutes after a shooting.

I’d recommend that you spend a couple of years with a holster at 3-4:00 and get really comfortable with concealed carry in general before you do this. For seasoned pistoleros, AIWB is marginally faster than the 3-4:00 position and it has a few other minor advantages, but it’s really not the place to start out. Let me know what kind of pistol you're carrying and I might be able to send you a good non-AIWB holster to use until you get your feet on the ground.

Welcome to P-F.com and to the world of concealed carry, but please rethink your use AIWB.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 12-09-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List