Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your 1st days and weeks of Conceal Carry... I'm about to start my journey.

Share your 1st days and weeks of Conceal Carry... I'm about to start my journey.

Hi All, Just joined the board and I think it's appropriate considering that I just received my CCL in the mail a couple weeks ago, started my CCW safe plan, my holsters arrive tomorrow (12/9), and my 1st holstering class is next week.

The entire journey from knowing I wanted to CC to the point I am now, was about 3 months. I didn't grow up in a household of firearms, nor did I ever shoot one till about 4 months ago. It's now more then a hobby for me as I continue to find firearms I like, don't like, wish I had etc... It's definitely been a wild turn in priorities for me over the past months.

I'm not sure when I will actually start to carry, but I feel like I'm close. My holster class is next week, which allows for holster practicing at the range after you attend their 2h class in Chicago-land. I'm pretty sure I will be walking around the house with my firearm on my person AIWB for while until I feel totally comfortable with drawing from concealment.

Until then and after... I will continue to learn and learn and learn and train and repeat, watch youtube, read forums, take classes, go to the range, practice one handed, off handed, etc...

Three questions for the forum...

1. When did you know you were (at least the most ready you would be) ready to walk out of your house and start carrying?

2. What was one lesson learned from when you did start carrying?

3. Besides your firearm, what's the one item that you always bring with you (flashlight, knife, etc...)?

Tx. Joe
    Last edited by sissupr; 12-08-2017 at 07:14 PM.

1. As soon as I got my permit when I turned 21 I started carrying on a semi regular basis. Was I ready? I thought I was.

2. Don't fiddle with the gun/holster when you're walking around. I went full potato and thought everyone and their grandmother could tell I was carrying. Adjust if necessary when you get outta the car and leave it alone. Get a real gun belt.

3. Always carry a spare mag now. A knife in my pocket and flashlights in the vehicles. I only carry a light on me when I know I'll be out after dark.

1) I always wanted to, but motivation for actually spending the time and money was lacking- right up until a friend was shot and paralyzed during a bank robbery.
    2) #1 is to spend the money and get a good belt and holster. #2 is actually carry a gun. #3 avoid the temptation to have a carry rotation just because
    3) Knife,
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 12-08-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

1) The second I got my permit. Figured I had enough gun experience from the military. Not quite, but I never went full potato.
    2)...except for starting with a cheap nylon holster and often carrying off body when I was at school. Also the whole carry rotation/gun of the month thing but I worked at a gun store and took advantage of my discounts in order to get experience with as many guns as I could. If it weren't for that I'd probably still be packing a cz75 and doing just fine with it.
    3) a pocket knife, flashlight, and bottle opener

Edit: also welcome! This is the best gun forum on the internet and there's a TON of experience here. Even paying to be a site supporter feels like a steal imo
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 12-08-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Share your 1st days and weeks of Conceal Carry... I'm about to start my journey.

Welcome to p-f Joe.

You are in a good place.

1. After my class with John Murphy at Rangemaster’s Tactical Conference in Memphis in 2016. Attending that segment and shooting the competition, all with my carry Gear (at the time, a Walther PPS M2 in a JM CK holster), gave me a huge confidence boost.

2. I discovered that the idea that you might be carrying a gun is so far removed from the average persons awareness you might as well be wearing a howitzer.

No one, I mean, no one, even remotely thinks about you having a gun. Get your pistol, get training, and start carrying.

3. Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. Sabre Red OC spray with Flip Top. H&H compression bandage. Celox Rapid Z fold gauze. SOFFT-W on a Phlster Flatpack.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-08-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Werds r hard

1) I thought my shooting skills were adequate, but carrying was intimidating. So I carried a bluegun for a while. It got me used to the routine and dealing with everyday situations(restrooms, cars, etc.) with a lot less worry. Once I was comfortable with that I transitioned to the pistol.

2) Good holsters are worth the money.

3) Pocketknife. Phone. Gloves.
    Last edited by peterb; 12-08-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    Buy your clothes with the gun in mind. A couple of extra inches in the waistband of your pants, or even better, buying "relaxed fit" in your regular size, adds considerably to the comfort and concealability of IWB as well as pocket carry. Buy shirts that can be worn untucked, sport jackets, sweaters and sweater vests for various temperatures, etc. to hide the gun easily.

Good holsters and belts go a long way towards comfort, concealment, and speed of access. The rule that you get what you pay for applies absolutely when going from low-priced to mid-priced, but not necessarly when going from mid-priced to high priced. What works for me: Blade-Tech IWB holsters, Custom Carry Concepts basic spare magazine and light pouches, and Beltman 1 1/4" cowhide belts (7 holes with 3/4 inch hole spacing). Rigidity as well as precise fit both contribute to good concealment, so 3/4 inch hole spacing is better than 1" hole spacing. If you are wearing a closed-front concealment garment, a Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt works really well, and the infinite adjustability really helps.

For pocket carry, the Aholster pocket holster is the best thing I have found. Round off the hook by the rear sight, and wrap some "Moleskin" around it. You can find this in the foot care section of your pharmacy.

Before leaving the house, check your concealment when standing, sitting, bending at the waist, etc. For me, a 3:30 position on the belt results in the least printing.

Keep your mouth shut about the gun. The most likely thing to give you away is a friend who doesn't know to keep his mouth shut.

People love to make fun of the little guns, but a tiny .380 is worth its weight in gold when you need to conceal your gun with a tucked-in shirt in hot weather in a place where you cannot afford to get caught. If you are truly serious about being armed all the time, you need one.

Besides the gun, I always carry:

1) A handheld light on my weak side, typically a Klarus XT2C or XT1C. The rule about always identifying your target, and knowing what is behind and around it, ALWAYS applies.

2) 1-2 spare magazines.

3) Folding knife, most often a Spyderco Waved Delica or Waved Endura.

4) My iPhone.

Seriously some good info here. Keep it coming...

Hammertime
    1. I was ready after months of chamber empty pocket carry. To prove the concept that the trigger would not get pulled in the pocket holster. Then did the same thing with various AIWB holsters, proving to myself I wouldn’t drop the striker after a thousand or so draws and re holsters.

2. Learned: it’s no big deal and people are generally clueless. It becomes a habit.

3. Always have flashlight on off side. Also carry OC spray off side pocket.

Site Supporter
    1) I had about 100 hours of classes in and 10000 dry reps. I am a compulsive man. I was 35 when I fired my first gun and got into it deep.

2) I am a 32 waist and should of bought 34 waist pants much sooner. I takes a few Holsters to get the right one. Keep you hands off of it, it is still there (because you got the right holster).

3) If I got a gun, I got at least one spare mag. Small fixed blade opposite side of gun. I keep trying to carry a light but I got a lot in my pockets and I try to wear my Ankle IFAK , Muck boots are so warm and waterproof.

User Tag List