Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Share your 1st days and weeks of Conceal Carry... I'm about to start my journey.

1. I started carrying the day I got my license.

2. In addition to the normal adjustment process mentioned by others, it took a while to find a carry setup that worked for me. And I've adjusted it slightly a couple times since then, as my work locations and daily situation have evolved. What works in corporate meetings doesn't work on Saturday in the backcountry.

3. Spare mags or speed strip/speedloader is about it.

Chicagoland, eh? I feel for you. I'm originally from Chicago, still have family and clients there and was just back in November. It was staggering how many places had no guns signs on the door, that's got to be a nuisance. In that sense, it's actually easier to carry in (most of) California.

edit: East Dundee area, OK, maybe that's a little easier. I lived right in Lincoln Park, a mile and a half from the loop and my family is near north suburban. I used to shoot long range rifle out your way during my college years, there used to be a nice range out there.
    Last edited by Salamander; 01-15-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Site Supporter
    Just checked the list of prohibited places in Illinois. That is one of the longest lists I have seen. Looks like the carry method needs to include easy, discreet ways to get the gun on and off, and driving plans need to include avoiding the parking lots of numerous prohibited places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Update.

Thanks for all the replies fellow members.

The holidays, biz travel, new addition to the family (#3)... there’s been a lot going on. I wanted to a post reply after I had some time carrying... or almost carrying...

I took an amazing class at Gat Guns (12/16) that focused on fire from a holster from a static position, moving, tactical reloads, speed reloads, etc. There was supposed to be 6 people enrolled, but luckily only 2 did! Had one on one instructor for the most part for 2.5h. We shot over 250 rounds from a holster.

What I experienced...

1. In the weeks prior to the class I carried around the house/locally to check my equipment in both 3/4 and AIWB. I learned what feels more comfortable, both from drawing and wearing... and it’s AIWB carry...just fits my body type better and it was easier for me to draw and re-holster. I carried in the class in AIWB, and I’m happy I did. I know a lot of members replied and suggested otherwise, and I seriously gave it shot (pun intended). Just never felt right. Now that I’m settled and happy with this... no longer looking back. Feeling comfortable goes a long way, any ultimately trumps the ‘inexperienced or 1st timers’ shouldn’t carry that way notion’... at least for me! Thanks for all the feedback.
    Now finding a AIWB holster journey begins...

2. I was using a USP compact DAO/SAO in the class. I learned I don’t like DAO and since then have switched all my guns to striker fire. Specifically to Glock 17, 19, 26, and 43. I hated the 1st shot on target, I could have and thought I would ‘cock and lock’ in SAO in the class, but in the class it was a bit overwhelming that I would be terribly slow on target and making sure I hit the safety. One less thing to worry is what a lot people say, now I know what that really mean. The whole KISS thing totally applies here.

[edit] forgot to add about my tactical belt and clothes. Geez, no more regular style jeans for me. Honestly anything with a stretchy waistband (sounds weird, you know what I mean) is comfortable. Golf pants actually worked really good as well.... I didn’t go crazy on a belt (yet), I have 1.5in double nylon tactical belt from amazon that I’m really happy with. I know... invest in a belt, but it works great and it’s hard/sturdy from a draw. I used it in my class and I’m happy with it as well. My every day biz attire, will have to change. Never realized how critical this was in terms of comfort until I tried carrying my G19 with some jeans that are not stretchy at the top... holy crap, I would never carry if this was the case. Getting ready takes twice as long now, I know it will come down drastically once I get down to my everyday setup.

3. Range and target practice. I used to think the range would suffice and I would know what I like in terms of equipment. I learned that the range and shooting at targets is now just to make sure the operation of my equipment is working...not much more than that.

4. Where am I now with carrying. Well, I haven’t... loaded that is. I have been switching equipment that my holster situation/decision has been taking a while. I have an ‘ok’ one for my G43, but I want everything to be the same. So I’m waiting on my Aliengear ShapeShift kit. This way everything is the same and I can just have a shell for each Glock. Should have that in next week.

5. I want to continue training and have decided to spend less on ‘equipment/bling’.. and more on classes. To be honest, I never shot over 250 rounds and it was an amazing time. I’m planning on another class in March...

More to come.
    Last edited by sissupr; 02-03-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Glock 17s (accepts Glock 26 mags)
    Glock 19 Zev Defender
    Glock 19s Lower (Glock 26 size grip)
    Glock 43

Get a good holster and belt. Take these to a class. Carrying isn’t about diversity nor fashion. Stick with one gun.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    If AIWB is your thing, I am a HUGE proponent of Mastermind Tactics. Both their belts and holsters are top notch and they're a supporting vendor here.

Used one in a class last month. Worked well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I haven't reread the whole thread again, but for what you are choosing AIWB, everyone is going to say 1. Get gadgets for sure, if you're running Glocks 2. JM Custom or Darkstar for holster.

The nylon belt will loosen over time and sag, unless it's a riggers belt.

There's a thread in this forum on pants. Most liked Apex 5.11. I really like Vertx Delta. Duluth also has some stretch pants as khakis, but they looked too baggy for me, but may work for you. They have a free return policy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new addition.

Good news on the class, sounds like great progress!

I was walking around the woods around my house with bb and pellet guns untill my parents allowed me to use .22s unsupervised at 12 which is when I started hunting. My grandfather left me an h&r sportsman that I carried a lot. Never could hit anything with it though. I was 15 when I moved to Illinois but in a city so my mom introduced me to a ipsc/idpa shooter she knew from the gym. I got a Springfield mil spec and started shooting a lot. There was an indoor range I could go to and they would let me shoot alone, crazy that it was only 17 years ago. I may or may not have carried at that time when walking the dog in my neighborhood.

I carried an m9 in the Marine Corps security forces/fmf and applied for my CCW at 21 in CT because I was moving there upon discharge. I went back to my Springfield mil spec and carried every day.

That's the trick. Do it every day.

I always have a light, a knife, and a reload.

Shoot every week and dryfire at home.

Take some sort of martial art. If you've never been in a fight you need to know how you react. Do you overreact? Do you not react? Etc besides shooting/gun handling fundamentals I think training your brain to think in a fight is the most important thing.

Infact, I would trust a few of the bouncers I've worked with, with no gun experience to carry more than an expert shooter who's shot his entire life.

A good belt, and a good holster are easily worth $100 bucks each although I've been finding really good belts in the $70 ish price range.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I was walking around the woods around my house with bb and pellet guns untill my parents allowed me to use .22s unsupervised at 12 which is when I started hunting. My grandfather left me an h&r sportsman that I carried a lot. Never could hit anything with it though. I was 15 when I moved to Illinois but in a city so my mom introduced me to a ipsc/idpa shooter she knew from the gym. I got a Springfield mil spec and started shooting a lot. There was an indoor range I could go to and they would let me shoot alone, crazy that it was only 17 years ago. I may or may not have carried at that time when walking the dog in my neighborhood.

I carried an m9 in the Marine Corps security forces/fmf and applied for my CCW at 21 in CT because I was moving there upon discharge. I went back to my Springfield mil spec and carried every day.

That's the trick. Do it every day.

I always have a light, a knife, and a reload.

Shoot every week and dryfire at home.

Take some sort of martial art. If you've never been in a fight you need to know how you react. Do you overreact? Do you not react? Etc besides shooting/gun handling fundamentals I think training your brain to think in a fight is the most important thing.

Infact, I would trust a few of the bouncers I've worked with, with no gun experience to carry more than an expert shooter who's shot his entire life.

A good belt, and a good holster are easily worth $100 bucks each although I've been finding really good belts in the $70 ish price range.

Good luck
    Great post.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sissupr View Post
    Update.

Thanks for all the replies fellow members.

The holidays, biz travel, new addition to the family (#3)... there’s been a lot going on. I wanted to a post reply after I had some time carrying... or almost carrying...

I took an amazing class at Gat Guns (12/16) that focused on fire from a holster from a static position, moving, tactical reloads, speed reloads, etc. There was supposed to be 6 people enrolled, but luckily only 2 did! Had one on one instructor for the most part for 2.5h. We shot over 250 rounds from a holster.

What I experienced...

1. In the weeks prior to the class I carried around the house/locally to check my equipment in both 3/4 and AIWB. I learned what feels more comfortable, both from drawing and wearing... and it’s AIWB carry...just fits my body type better and it was easier for me to draw and re-holster. I carried in the class in AIWB, and I’m happy I did. I know a lot of members replied and suggested otherwise, and I seriously gave it shot (pun intended). Just never felt right. Now that I’m settled and happy with this... no longer looking back. Feeling comfortable goes a long way, any ultimately trumps the ‘inexperienced or 1st timers’ shouldn’t carry that way notion’... at least for me! Thanks for all the feedback.
    Now finding a AIWB holster journey begins...

2. I was using a USP compact DAO/SAO in the class. I learned I don’t like DAO and since then have switched all my guns to striker fire. Specifically to Glock 17, 19, 26, and 43. I hated the 1st shot on target, I could have and thought I would ‘cock and lock’ in SAO in the class, but in the class it was a bit overwhelming that I would be terribly slow on target and making sure I hit the safety. One less thing to worry is what a lot people say, now I know what that really mean. The whole KISS thing totally applies here.

[edit] forgot to add about my tactical belt and clothes. Geez, no more regular style jeans for me. Honestly anything with a stretchy waistband (sounds weird, you know what I mean) is comfortable. Golf pants actually worked really good as well.... I didn’t go crazy on a belt (yet), I have 1.5in double nylon tactical belt from amazon that I’m really happy with. I know... invest in a belt, but it works great and it’s hard/sturdy from a draw. I used it in my class and I’m happy with it as well. My every day biz attire, will have to change. Never realized how critical this was in terms of comfort until I tried carrying my G19 with some jeans that are not stretchy at the top... holy crap, I would never carry if this was the case. Getting ready takes twice as long now, I know it will come down drastically once I get down to my everyday setup.

3. Range and target practice. I used to think the range would suffice and I would know what I like in terms of equipment. I learned that the range and shooting at targets is now just to make sure the operation of my equipment is working...not much more than that.

4. Where am I now with carrying. Well, I haven’t... loaded that is. I have been switching equipment that my holster situation/decision has been taking a while. I have an ‘ok’ one for my G43, but I want everything to be the same. So I’m waiting on my Aliengear ShapeShift kit. This way everything is the same and I can just have a shell for each Glock. Should have that in next week.

5. I want to continue training and have decided to spend less on ‘equipment/bling’.. and more on classes. To be honest, I never shot over 250 rounds and it was an amazing time. I’m planning on another class in March...

More to come.
    Congratulations on the new addition!

Start carrying that thing already! You are already well ahead of many when they started carrying, and perhaps even after they have carried for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List