Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulk ammo preferences for wife's G-43 practice

My wife shot a G43 rental at the range and did not like it one bit. According to her, it was "very squirmy."

Anyway, to the OP's question: I have ordered quite a bit of ammo from www.sgammo.com. Federal AE, Lawman, S&B, PMC Bronze. All of it has been very reliable. Shipping has been fast.

On the other hand, I recently had to buy a quantity of Federal Champion 115 for a class from WalMart. I had 4 FTFs in the class (approx 700 rounds over two days).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    The Federal AE 147 AE9FP is a particularly soft shooter...
    That's pretty much all I use for practice, and it also shoots pretty much the same as my 147gr HST carry ammo.

Site Supporter
    I also vote for the American Eagle 147 grain. You can find it right now for 200 shipped per case, plus the rebate which is about the best price you will see on factory ammo, especially considering the quality. I shoot it through my 43 and have used a good chunk of the case I bought. I need to get a couple more before the end of the year.

I concur, 147gr. American Eagle.

She was very intrigued with the G-42 but I'm hoping to rent a G-26 as soon as our range opens again. I want her to have something she will carry and not just go to the range for target practice. That lets the G-19 out. I'm planning on getting a G-26 for myself.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyc View Post
    She was very intrigued with the G-42 but I'm hoping to rent a G-26 as soon as our range opens again. I want her to have something she will carry and not just go to the range for target practice. That lets the G-19 out. I'm planning on getting a G-26 for myself.
    Rent a 26 but if she likes the 42 she is more likely to carry it and shoot it.

I am not a .380 fan but I must admit the 42 is noticeably lighter to carry and easier to shoot well than the 43.

A G42 carried beats any other gun left at home.

As the great Chef and philosopher Justin Wilson used to say- “The kind of wine that goes with a meal, is the kind of wine you like! “
    Last edited by HCM; 12-08-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    My wife started with a G42 but she moved to the G43 with no issues.

One more question. I have never fired 9mm - only .45, .40, and .357/38. How do you guys decide on bullet weight? Is there a recoil difference between 115, 124, and other weights? What about .380 if sh goes that route?

Site Supporter
    One more question. I have never fired 9mm - only .45, .40, and .357/38. How do you guys decide on bullet weight? Is there a recoil difference between 115, 124, and other weights? What about .380 if sh goes that route?
    Recoil is a balance of things, and bullet weight and speed are a large part of it.

I like 147gr in the 9mm. I like penetration, and accuracy, and that load seems to give me what I need there.

The .380 G42 is a great place to go if recoil is a problem. I usually carry a G26, and my wife a G42. But I'll carry the G42 if my wrist hurts, and intend to get one for myself.
    Last edited by Duelist; 12-09-2017 at 12:46 AM.

In the same line of ammunition the heavier weights 147 in 9mm, 180 in .40 and 230 in .45 normally have less felt recoil.

User Tag List