Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Altered Carbon Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    There isn't much to the Man in the High Castle book and the series diverges considerably (particularly after the first season).
    Good to know, thank you. I won't wait.

Also, dammit, now I have to read the Parker novels. Great.

LOL! The Parker novels are a great rabbit hole. Kept me busy for months.

I can also highly recommend the Darwyn Cooke graphic novel adaptations of the Parker series.

And if graphic novels are your thing, I'll bet that Richard K. Morgan's (yes, the author of Altered Carbon) take on Black Widow will be better than the upcoming movie.

More violent anyway.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Graphic novels--no, but the Parker/Porter draw is overwhelming. And I'm now realizing that if I'm gonna subscribe to Netlix anyway for AC, I can also watch The Witcher, which was a "nice but I'm still not gonna buy in".

This forum is ruining me. I have a passel of new holsters, a new optic to test out to see what direction I'm gonna go with my third PMO, and I'm trying to figure out which would be the best option to get mag holders on a belt for the G34, the USP E...and maybe also some moonclip holders for the 327. Oh, and now I've got 24 new books and a whole service's worth of teevee to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Oh, and now I've got 24 new books and a whole service's worth of teevee to watch.
    We probably need a Parker thread...my two cents (even as a die hard fan) is to stop reading at Butcher's Moon (Book #16). Written in 1971, Butcher's Moon is a great conclusion to the story; Westlake revived Parker in 1997 with Comeback...and while I enjoyed revisiting the character, I think the series is best when viewed through the optic of the 1960s and 70s. It never quite translated to the modern day (even though Flashfire was adapted for film with Jason Statham as Parker). Were I to (or rather, when) I reread the series I don't think I'd continue past Moon.

And...Altered Carbon has been cancelled by Netflix.

Altered Carbon Cancelled: No Season 3 at Netflix

No surprise; Season Two was a train wreck, a poorly executed mash up of the third book with some characters from the second weirdly sprinkled in. I think they would have done better to stick closer to the source material.

The Resleeved anime was actually pretty good; I'm doubtful we'll see any more of those either. It seems like Morgan may revisit the character though.

Yeah, Season 2 was...okay, we won't talk about that. I rewatched Season 1 when I got my 4K screen, and then flipped to the second season only to go, "No, that one's not worth watching...no...no...wtf, aliens? No...". Two things I think:

(1) They are making the wrong Altered Carbon. Don't follow the books, necessarily. You have a character that can can be copied, branched, killed...he can be hero, antihero, whatever the story dictates. Do mercenary stories, thief stories, rebel, detective...the problem with S2 is that that it was too pinned to what was frankly not Morgan's strongest book, and tried to glue too much Kovacs storyline into a single season. So abandon the whole season thing--it could even be done in self-contained episodes or short movies.

(2) Shut up and make Market Forces.

Site Supporter
    Goddamn. I did not know about this. And now I have just acquired Netflix. I mean, I was gonna finish watching Man in the High Castle so I could then go read the book, but fuck that. Gonna spend next week shooting guns and binging AC till my fingers and eyes bleed.

LL--Market Forces is pretty decent. I liked the setting more than anything. When the time comes, you will realize that Morgan wants you to be sad at the direction taken. But you shouldn't.

Since you guys also appear to be hard-SC ultraviolence nerds like me, ya'll think the Culture series could be properly translated to a screen?
    I've only read two Culture novels, but my confidence is not high that they would work onscreen.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, Season 2 was...okay, we won't talk about that. I rewatched Season 1 when I got my 4K screen, and then flipped to the second season only to go, "No, that one's not worth watching...no...no...wtf, aliens? No...". Two things I think:

(1) They are making the wrong Altered Carbon. Don't follow the books, necessarily. You have a character that can can be copied, branched, killed...he can be hero, antihero, whatever the story dictates. Do mercenary stories, thief stories, rebel, detective...the problem with S2 is that that it was too pinned to what was frankly not Morgan's strongest book, and tried to glue too much Kovacs storyline into a single season. So abandon the whole season thing--it could even be done in self-contained episodes or short movies.
    Honestly, that's a great idea. They could do a bunch of one-offs where it's a different main actor each time.

As usual with these things, I couldn't give a rat's ass about the source material. In fact, when I have read a book or a comic, I get pretty pissed if all they do is follow the source material. Super boring IMO, I already have an imagination, I want to see someone else's take on things.

For me, having no idea about the source material here, I enjoyed season 2 but nowhere near as much as season 1. I attribute that to (a) Kinnaman is awesomer and (b) the newness of the concept had worn off.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Watched the first of Season 2 and that was enough. Netflix supposedly determines if a show brings in new viewers, if it doesn't and just shrinks to a hard core, it is cancelled.

User Tag List