Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dot Torture with a phone and a SIRT

Red face Dot Torture with a phone and a SIRT

I've been working on laser training the last couple of weeks and it occurred to me to try this.

I placed a Dot Torture target in my den and set my phone in a cheap tripod I have, aimed at the target.

Then using the video function, I shot each stage of Dot Torture with my SIRT.

When I completed the entire drill, I watched the replay and scored my hits using the laser splash.

Quite interesting. I could see my muscling of the trigger in the cometary trace of the laser.

I was actually able to miss the target without any blast or recoil.

I'm going to shoot some other drills this way. Any suggestions?

I haven't done it with dot torture but I have one of those "trigger time" targets. It shows the hit but I also see the dot "cometing" around. The trigger on their blue training gun sucks but I figure if I train with a crap trigger I'll do better with a good one... right?
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

I've found laser training to be very valuable. For a couple years I've been using some software called LASR (Laser Activated Shot Reporter) in my dry fire training. It runs on a laptop connected to a webcam mounted on a tripod, recording each hit by watching for the laser pulses. I mostly use infrared lasers to avoid any distraction. In addition to marking your hits, it can (optionally) sound a buzzer as a start signal and track the time of each shot, just like a shot timer. I've used it extensively working on my draw, for example, and my live fire draw times and quality of hits match exactly what I get from LASR in dry fire. The software has a few rough edges but lots of good functionality, I've definitely gotten my money's worth. If you scroll through my training journal you'll see a number of images from it.

The LASR app sounds interesting. What lasers aside from the SIRT do you guys use? I’d like a SIRT, but I’m not aware of a way to mount a red dot on one. My in bore laser bullet (not sure what brand) is WAAAAY off.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I’d like a SIRT, but I’m not aware of a way to mount a red dot on one.
    I have used a Burris fastfire mount on one. Not perfect but it worked with an old fastfire I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I have used a Burris fastfire mount on one. Not perfect but it worked with an old fastfire I had.

Hmmmmm. Any issue with the higher offset and transition back to a milled in RDS?

That may be a cheap way to get some better training.

The LASR app sounds interesting. What lasers aside from the SIRT do you guys use? I’d like a SIRT, but I’m not aware of a way to mount a red dot on one. My in bore laser bullet (not sure what brand) is WAAAAY off.
    I started off with a 9mm LaserLyte cartridge (red laser), which is adjustable but has not required adjustment. When I began using LASR and wanted the infrared option, I went to a Laser Ammo SureStrike cartridge. These use an adapter ring to fit different calibers (unlike the LaserLyte which is caliber-specific) and also have a "safety pipe" accessory that screws into the front of the cartridge and secures with a red nut at the muzzle end. The SureStrike is not adjustable but it's been fine as long as I align it consistently when changing batteries or moving it between guns -- I put a mark at 12 o'clock.

I've thought about making some replacement SIRT "slides" designed to accept a red dot. What RDS do you use?
    Last edited by EricM; 12-07-2017 at 11:30 PM.

My carry gun has an RMR on it, but duplicating that on a SIRT is beyond my budget. I’d think that fir a SIRT some off brand like Weaver or at the most expensive a FastFire would be more appropriate.

I bought this when it was on sale: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L450L62/

As I said earlier, the trigger is absolute crap (long and heavy, the curve is awful, and I had to shave the tip down because it gave me blisters) but I've noticed some slow improvement, between it and my airsoft G19 copy.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Hmmmmm. Any issue with the higher offset and transition back to a milled in RDS?

That may be a cheap way to get some better training.
    No. I was testing the concept and never took the milled plunge with an RMR so I can't comment.

I got the idea from a picture Gary Roberts posted of his Sirt red dot. He would probably have good insight.

What was interesting was the target focus then seeing the green laser imposed over the red dot when I pulled the trigger.

I practiced with both the laser taped and not taped.

User Tag List