Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNO Firearms DX-7 Modernized AK Rifle

DNO Firearms DX-7 Modernized AK Rifle

I admit, I clicked on this link expecting to hate it, but somehow wound up actually kind of liking the concept.

This is not the average AK we normally see, is it? DNO Firearms DX-7 is an interesting take on redesigning and modernizing the AK platform at the same time keeping the features and parts that don’t need to be changed.

The most significant change is obviously the new receivers. The DX-7 rifle utilizes milled 6061 aluminum receivers. Not only the material is changed but also the layout of the receiver to an upper and lower one. The advantage here is that they got rid of the dust cover and the upper receiver is now a rigid scope mounting platform. The receivers have hardened steel rails built into them.
    Last edited by rob_s; 12-06-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Site Supporter
    The concept interests me as well. One thing about it is that the setup looks like a Sig 556xi and a standard AK (maybe some shades of the FNC too?) had a baby. Not saying that in a bad way either.

Color me curious/interested in how this rifle pans out. I don't think it would displace any of my current go-to rifles, but would be a nice addition to the reference collection that keeps growing in my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

It depends on how they deal with the trunion. I believe the trunion is mounted in the "lower" receiver. Mounting the trunion in aluminum will result in the aluminum being battered over time. Other than that, this looks interesting. I'd like to see it with Galil type sights.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I just don't get it. It's an AK that's not an AK but still an Ak. I mainly want an AK because AK. This looks like it has many of the disadvantages of an AK while none of that old-school comblock coolness.

Did the article say whether the lower was the serialized receiver? I am just assuming but you never know how ATF rules.

Sig 550 series it's the upper.

Site Supporter
    Looking at the photos on DNO's site, the S/N, model, and caliber are in the "lower" . . . which makes no real sense. The SCAR, Sig 55X, FNC/AK5, Bushmaster ACR, and several similar guns have the upper as the receiver/controlled item. Then again, the BATFE reserves the right to change their minds at their discretion.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

It’s definitely interesting, but the top comment on the article struck me as painfully true:

“currently in preproduction...around the 1,000 dollar range"

Translation: 3 years and 2 grand

Interesting concept but, really a highly refined and product developed, modernized AK already exists... it’s the Sig 55x series. For 1k kopeks Id personally rather spend my money on a 6920 CCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Interesting concept but, really a highly refined and product developed, modernized AK already exists... it’s the Sig 55x series.
    I thought you were going to say the IWI Galil ACE. Are the SG55x series really modern contenders at this point? Mainly curious, because the SG556 seems to not be very well-received, while most of the Swiss made stuff simply doesn't seem viable for American civilians due to importation/supply chain.

Also 6061 receivers? One would have hoped for 7075.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I thought you were going to say the IWI Galil ACE. Are the SG55x series really modern contenders at this point? Mainly curious, because the SG556 seems to not be very well-received, while most of the Swiss made stuff simply doesn't seem viable for American civilians due to importation/supply chain.

Also 6061 receivers? One would have hoped for 7075.
    I am referring to the Swiss Rifles, and Id say that they’re every bit as viable to the average American as any other niche type weapon. Also how could the 55x not be considered a modern contender? The 55x series ergonomics, quality and manual of arms represents the pinnacle of what can be achieved with an AK type rifle, and I would say the IWI Galil is second.

The 55x series has adapted to modernization substantially better than the AK and in my opinion, is a far better modern contender on the battle field. The AK hasn’t adapted well at all over the years like the AR-15 has, but then again, why should it? The AK is great for what it’s meant for, it’s a cheap, crude, easy to produce disposable rifle that works meant to be given to a cheap, disposable, crude and easy to produce conscript soldier. Where the lines get all blurry is when Americans started attempting to apply American doctrine to an Eastern European conscript rifle.

The AK was never designed to be a highly tuned, ergonomically correct precision machine of death, because that’s not what the man carrying it was designed to do either. Quantity over quality... When the guy carrying it gets burned down it’s all good, because there’s practically an unlimited of him to keep bringing the fight.

I have yet to see ANY actual AK series rifle that even begins approach the usability, quality and adaptability of the AR-15. The 55x being the closest thing and it’s not even really an AK, same with the Galil.

Americans (and now the Russians) are chasing the dragon trying to make the AK an AR because it wasn’t, isn’t, and it never will be. I’m not saying the rifle can’t be ran exceptionally well or that it isn’t an effective battlefield implement, I’m just saying that it will never be an AR-15 and it will never be capable of that same level of usability and refinement.

User Tag List