Thread: Lucas Lube

Lucas Lube

For those of you using the Lucas stuff, are you using the red gun oil or blue “extreme” stuff? I have some of the red and it seems to have decent staying power on a suppressed AR and a 1911.

I’m out of Slip and am at a point of deciding what to stock up on. Contenders are Slip, Lucas, or ALG Go Juice.

As an aside I have some Reaper Lube that was in a 3gun match goodie bag. Anyone have experience with it?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Blue Extreme stuff. I use the small 1 oz. dropper bottle. I’ve had the same dropper bottle for almost 2 years now...stuff works well, stays where I put it (which is important for carry) and doesn’t burn off.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    I went all in when the blue stuff hit the market. I was using Slip products at the time. There was a bundle of the Extreme Duty products offered from some vendor at a show. It included the little precision oiler with the oil, a bottle of CLP, bore cleaner and a tube of the grease. I think the whole shebang was $20. The CLP is pretty thin but seems to clean well. The bore cleaner cleans the best. Like the old school Hoppes! A patch with a drop or two of that goes down the bore of my carry pistols and duty rifle on a monthly basis. They are subjected to constant temp changes and humidity/condensation. The oil stays in place longer than any of the other dinosaur based oils that I have used on pistols and AR type rifles. I prepped a P30 for a Northern Red pistol course. It was in PA in August. Lots of sweat, high round counts (1200 ish/ 2 days) and hot humid weather. The oil remained wet and where I placed it for the whole course. I think the bore cleaner and oil would cover just about everything. Retail pricing on the two is about $14 total and a little goes a long way.

I've been using Lucas red. It lubes well, doesn't make a mess and does a good job when shooting suppressed and lasts. I have not tried the blue.

Battlefield Las Vegas likes Lucas because it lasts and lubes well, but I don't know if they use red or blue.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Slight thread drift:

I used Lucas red in conjunction with lithium bearing grease at an EAG Carbine class in 08 with great success. Having said that, in all the other classes I have taken (Gunsite, TLG, Randy Cain, Tom Givens, KCPD, etc) and tens of thousands of rounds I have put down range, Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and lithium bearing grease have always served well. I am, sure these boutique lubes do a great job, I simply wonder if they are that much better than Mobil 1/Lithium grease, particularly when you factor in cost and near universal availability at any Wal-Mart or auto supply shop re my preferred lubes.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Slight thread drift:

I used Lucas red in conjunction with lithium bearing grease at an EAG Carbine class in 08 with great success. Having said that, in all the other classes I have taken (Gunsite, TLG, Randy Cain, Tom Givens, KCPD, etc) and tens of thousands of rounds I have put down range, Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and lithium bearing grease have always served well. I am, sure these boutique lubes do a great job, I simply wonder if they are that much better than Mobil 1/Lithium grease, particularly when you factor in cost and near universal availability at any Wal-Mart or auto supply shop re my preferred lubes.

YMMV.
    They're not, or at least it's far too costly to quantify what better is. And if we could quantify better it would be in terms of parts life and we'd need to account for the cost of boutique lubes over synthetic motor oil along with the parts that lasted longer somehow.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Inhaling fumes? Asking honestly.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Slight thread drift:

YMMV.
    From a lubricity standpoint, oil is oil. I ran ARs for a couple of years on Casey's Gun Oil and RemOil and had no problems. Had to keep applying it, but the ARs ran fine. I'm sure Mobil 1 is more than adequate. But I don't like what motor oil does to my skin and clothing. I don't like the fumes. Lucas Oil is more expensive, but it's less likely to spray all over the place, is better for my skin and washes out of my clothing easier than Mobil 1.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List