Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Monterey Park, CA OIS incident captured on video by idiotic bystanders

Good real life example of why you need a back up officer ready to go with lethal force on Taser deployments if available.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The suspect was still on his feet holding the weapon after the first 5 rounds were fired; the second officer then fired an additional 5 rounds to end the conflict. At least one round missed.

I am utterly astounded by the many comments made by the public in regards to this OIS incident. The suspect chose to initiate the conflict by violently vandalizing the restaurant and terrifying patrons and employees such that they felt compelled to flee for safety and request police intervention. Upon arrival of LE, the suspect willfully failed to obey repeated commands issued by officers, was NOT incapacitated by a Taser hit, then attempted to assault an officer using a deadly weapon, was shot by one officer, yet still did not drop his weapon, thus was shot again by another officer. The evidence justifying the officers actions is unequivocal and clear on the video, yet many members of the public fail to see the truth...
    As to the second string of fire, I guess I'll have to watch it again. From what I saw, it looked like the guy was already down when the second string ran out. I guess I was mistaken, maybe it buffered/froze and caused a difference in the sync of the sound vs video.

As to youtube comments, yeah, that's how it goes. Best not to read them.

I remember when this video of a wild OIS hit the internet (skip to 3:30). The comments about the police were just as bad. It was actually on a car enthusiast forum where I saw it, and people were saying the usual stuff, while the other half of the forum told them to STFU/man up/high five for the cop.

What I figured out is it comes down to exactly what Grossman and Christensen talk about in On Combat. 90% of society is so abhorrent of violence that they possess a massive denial complex about it...it's an incredibly perverted level of ignorance. As an example, think of how school kids will still get punished by the school if they actually fight back when physically accosted by a bully, simply because violence is bad.

When society sees violence with their own eyes, it disgusts them and they are revolted. Regardless of whether it was done to protect society instead of attack it, they still hold the pure act of violence as a crime. When they don't see the human factor and terror of tearing life and limb with their own eyes, they will justify violence if done to protect society....but if they actually witness it, their emotions take over and the ability to use reason and logic to justify violence disappears. Now, as the authors put it, the sheepdog is just as evil and persecuted as the wolf, even though he did it to protect what is good.

There's a lot of bogus stuff in On Combat and On Killing, but I think that was one of the best thoughts to take from the book.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    The vast majority of the population are feeble minded simpletons bordering on mild retardation at best. They also think everything should happen the way it does in the movies and somehow the officer should've magically shot the crowbar out of the bullet sponge's hand and then he should've been ushered into the closest psychiatrist's office for help dealing with his childhood issues that tragically led to this encounter.

As for me, there is zero doubt in my mind that the officers did the right thing.
    Agreed 100%

One of the things that struck me about this video was when the officer with the taser went to re-holster it. He takes his eyes off the suspect for several seconds and places himself in a really bad position there.

I wonder if this is an example of reverting to ingrained behaviors under stress. I'd wager that in training, when taser fails to stop the practice is to re-holster rather than drop the expensive taser device. So on the street, that's what he did. It could hav cost him dearly, given than he was some 6 or 8 feet from an armed subject.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Good shoot.

Glad everybody's OK, including the dog but I suspect the dog would have done well had he been released.

#RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    yet many members of the public fail to see the truth...
    Many members of the public are idiots.

In a classroom one time I once heard a 20 year old coed who had absolutely no experience with personal violence complaining about the injustice of an incident where a police officer had fired on a mentally deranged man armed with a knife. "They had guns and all he had was a knife!"

"Sweetheart, this may come as a complete shock to you, but violent interaction with a nut has precisely zero resemblance to a game of rock, scissors, paper."

...not that it made any difference. Like many in our society she didn't let a complete lack of understanding on the topic and no familiarity with even the basic principles of the problem interfere with her deep-rooted conviction that she was right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5ioBvrYIg

10 rounds fired to stop the criminal--seems like a good reason to consider carrying a duty pistol with a large magazine capacity--also a great illustration of why it is best to grab a long gun WHENEVER there is the potential for a violent encounter. Also demonstrates why folks might want to practice shooting one handed...
    You don't happen to know what platform and load they were using do you?
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    You don't happen to know what platform and load they were using do you?
    Honestly I don't think that the way the shooting played outwould be different between calibers, and frankly choice of duty pistol would do zilch to influence the lethality of their hits.

Edit: Google says Glock 22s. My statement stays the same. I don't think a Glock 21 would've made him drop any faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Honestly I don't think that the way the shooting played outwould be different between calibers, and frankly choice of duty pistol would do zilch to influence the lethality of their hits.

Edit: Google says Glock 22s. My statement stays the same. I don't think a Glock 21 would've made him drop any faster.
    Oh I know. I was going to use this as an example as to why the .40 - .45 is not a death ray. People ask me all the time why I espouse high capacity guns. Their argument is usually "if you can't get it done in 5..." blah blah blah.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Oh I know. I was going to use this as an example as to why the .40 - .45 is not a death ray. People ask me all the time why I espouse high capacity guns. Their argument is usually "if you can't get it done in 5..." blah blah blah.
    Fair enough. .40cal 1 stop shots disproven!

User Tag List