_____________ Monday & Thursday ____________

Rock Rings
    • 10 minute workout
    Muay Thai
    • 8 rounds (5min. / 30 sec. rest)
    Medicine Ball / Core & Abs
    • 25X 20# MB Squat thrusters
    • 50X 20# MB Russian twists
    • 3X Planks (90sec - 30rest - 90sec - 30rest - 60sec)
    Kettlebells
    • 100X 1.5P (28kg) 2 hand swings (25x - 50x - 25x)
    • 25X 2P (40kg) 2 hand swings

_____________ Tuesday & Friday ______________

Clubs
    • 20X 15# Halos
    • 20X 15# Warrior lunges
    • 20X 2x 10# Double windshield wipers
    • 20X 2x 10# Double sword press
    Kettlebells
    • 35X 1.5P (24kg) 2 hand swings
    • 10X 2.5P (40kg) Goblet squats
    • 20X 2P (32kg) 2 hand squat-press (10x - 10x)
    • 40X 2x 20kg Alternating rows (20x R - 20x L)
    • 40X 20kg Snatches (20x - 20x)
    • 20X 2x 20kg Clean and military press
    • 20X 2x 20kg Bridge bench press on MB
    • 100X 28kg 2 hand swings (25x - 50x - 25x)
    • 50X 2P (32kg) 2 hand swings
    • 25X 2.5P (40kg) 2 hand swings

1.5P, 2P etc. are weights in Pood.
    Explanations of the various exercises in following posts.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-05-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Rock Rings:
    Rock Rings on Amazon

10 minute workout:

Minute 1 - 10 second straight arm hang, 10 second rest, 20 second hang, 20 second rest
    Minute 2 - 30 second straight arm hang, 30 second rest
    Minute 3 - 10 strict pull ups (full chin above hands at the top, just shy of straight arm lockout at the bottom)
    Minute 4 - 5-5-5-5-5 pull up (5 seconds hang into a 5 second arms at 90 into 5 seconds at full up, back down to 5 seconds arms at 90, down to 5 seconds straight arm hang, that's basically a single slow motion pull up that takes 25 seconds)
    Minute 5 - 8 strict pull ups
    Minute 6 - 5-5-5-5-5 pull up
    Minute 7 - 6 strict pull ups
    Minute 8 - 5-5-5-5-5 pull up
    Minute 9 - 4 strict pull ups
    Minute 10 - 10-10-10-10-10 pull up (as above but a single pull up stretched out over 50 seconds)
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Muay Thai - heavy bag kickboxing

I have a 100# Thai "banana" heavy bag.
    I do eight 5 minute rounds on the heavy bag (punches, elbows, knees, kicks) in various combinations with 30 seconds rest between rounds.

16 ounce gloves and Thai shin guards for six rounds.
    5 ounce MMA gloves and bare shins for two rounds.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-05-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Good stuff, Jody. I wasn't familiar with Rock Rings but I've used Metolius gear in years past for grip. (I no longer do any technical climbing and I use a variety of other gear for grip work, such as the Ivanko Super Gripper and some bands from IronMind.)

Only have three kettlebells, (35, 53 and 70) and use them primarily for swings / goblet squats etc (on off days for cardio), or warm-ups on my Monday - Thursday lifting days. Hex bar deadlifts, press, bench, Pendlay rows etc.

Weighted chins and dips were my favorite and best movements for years but since a rotator cuff (self diagnosed) issue a couple years back which has limited the comfort / mobility with those movements, I'm not doing them presently.

(At 65 I'm just trying to keep it going for as many more years as I can. So far, so good.)

ETA: If this was meant to be your training log, let me know and I'll delete my post. I thought this was "general discussion" or I'd not have intruded.
    Last edited by blues; 12-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.

I have a Onnit 20# Medicine Ball

25X Squat thrusters (squat holding the ball to my chest then on the up press the ball to full arm extension overhead)

50X Russian twists (feet held off floor, knees at a 45, upper body tilted back at a 45, medicine ball in my hands, get a good torso rotation and touch the ball to the floor left/right, I count it as a rep when I do a full left/right rotation)

3X Planks (90sec - 30rest - 90sec - 30rest - 60sec) pretty self explanatory, do a good plank by sucking in that gut.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Good stuff, Jody. I wasn't familiar with Rock Rings but I've used Metolius gear in years past for grip. (I no longer do any technical climbing and I use a variety of other gear for grip work, such as the Ivanko Super Gripper and some bands from IronMind.)

Only have three kettlebells, (35, 53 and 70) and use them primarily for swings / goblet squats etc (on off days for cardio), or warm-ups on my Monday - Thursday lifting days. Hex bar deadlifts, press, bench, Pendlay rows etc.

Weighted chins and dips were my favorite and best movements for years but since a rotator cuff (self diagnosed) issue a couple years back which has limited the comfort / mobility with those movements, I'm not doing them presently.
    My 5-5-5-5-5 and 10's pull ups turn a pull up into more of a stretch.
    Much easier on my worn out rock climbing shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My 5-5-5-5-5 and 10's pull ups turn a pull up into more of a stretch.
    Much easier on my worn out rock climbing shoulders.
    I hear that. I dislocated my shoulder climbing in the Wind Rivers in 1974, (fall on a standing glissade on Lizard Head glacier), and have had it come out of the "socket" while doing hand over hand traverse in the 'Gunks.

Weight training was the only way to mostly solve that issue though it's never been perfect since that fateful day in the Winds. Still, I can't complain since its rarely held me back until the last couple of years, and even now not too badly.

@JodyH good idea on thread started here. Appreciate the Onnit information from earlier. I hate going to the gym and would rather workout in the garage. With kettlebells, clubs, sand bags, etc- we can all afford a home gym. I’ve wasted hundreds of dollars on gym memberships.
    My plan, still being worked on....
    Monday- kettlebell
    Tuesday- clubs
    Wednesday- bodyweight
    Thursday- kettlebell
    Friday- kettlebell/clubs
    Saturday- hiking/walking with pack

I like the Onnit Workout of the Day option they post. Want to eventually get that as I gain experience with the clubs, mace and sandbag. Plus I need some time to gather the equipment.

Jody- any recommendations are welcome/appreciated.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

My workouts are usually right at an hour to slightly over an hour.
    I rest as little as possible between exercises to keep the cardio up.

Monday, Thursday are cardio heavy.
    Tuesday, Friday are heavier weights less intense on the cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Jody- any recommendations are welcome/appreciated.
    I'll post up the beginner workout plan I'm doing for my wife and also post the changes I make to it as she progresses.

User Tag List