Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a tornado brush to clean bores and cylinders

Using a tornado brush to clean bores and cylinders

Has anyone ever used a tornado brush to clean there revolvers bores and or there cylinders. I have used them to clean my shotgun choke tubes but never a rifle or pistol bore. Can anyone give me advise as to not use them or if there ok to use. They look to be aggressive but they do clean a stainless steel choke tube out with out any scratching. I just don't want to take a chance on a barrel until I get some responses from others.

Site Supporter
    Tornado brush is actually coiled steel right? So I don't think it's going to get into the grooves of a barrel.

I use a lewis lead remover kit from Brownells for the barrel/forcing cone when needed. Otherwise for the cylinder of a 38, I use a 40 cal brush chucked into a drill on low speed. .357 brush for the barrel.
    Adam

I wouldn't use the steel ones on any firearm barrel.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

They're great for cylinders and lousy for bores. I second the suggestion of using the Lewis Lead remover for forcing cones. Also handy for revolvers is building a wooden fixture so you don't hit the muzzle with the cleaning rod.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

A .40 Tornado is a good .38 revolver cylinder brush.
    I can make six strokes easier and maybe faster than I can drag one of those 6-in-one brushes through.
    Not much use in a rifled barrel.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    They're great for cylinders and lousy for bores.
    This reflects my experience with them as well.

The best thing I have found for lead in barrels and cylinders are the stainless steel bore brushes that are sold at most gun shows. The steel is very mild compared to ordnance steel and the stainless used in barrels and cylinders. I have used them for many years with no ill effect on the barrels of my 1911s and revolvers. They are however to stiff for .22 barrels.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

I find them to be excellent in my .357 magnum revolver cylinder chambers after shooting .38 Special if there's any stubborn residue left after using a normal bronze chamber brush.

Best, Jon

They are great for removing gunk from revolver chambers, I've only had limited success using them on bores, mostly with cleaning up old .22 rifles.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I suggest going to Walmart or a supermarket and buying pot scrubber pads made from pure copper. Cut and wrap around a smaller brush. I've noticed a trend toward using nylon bristle brushes in place of any metal. My copper pad example will work nicely for heavily leaded bores but is not needed for normal cleaning. In my old age I now think that in the past we were too aggressive in cleaning bores and did so too frequently. I have but would now never use a stainless steel brush. How would the shooter know if it was or was not mild stainless?

User Tag List