Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

I got a new Shadow 2 a couple of months ago. Like night and day going from an M&P Performance Center 9L to a CZ. I shoot much much better than I ever have with any other gun with my Shadow 2.
    I saw all of the "lighten this tune that blah,blah blah" and actually got the 13lb spring ,extended firing pin and return spring....................and one month later I haven't taken them out of the package yet.
    1200 rounds later , my DA is nice and smooth and as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, "I prefer a little take up with a nice crisp break, no surprises" . I have that now and am shooting better than I ever
    imagined I could and getting even better by the day. I 've actually decided to throw the Apex forward set sear/trigger package into my M&P as that trigger (even for a so called "competition gun")
    is horrid compared to the stock shadow trigger. Nice take up and crisp break , but the break is still over 6 pounds with 1500 rounds through it.
    I've started USPSA competition /steel challenges/steel Plate comps/Bowling bin competitions... basically anything I can get too, and I improve a little bit more every time I go out.
    Maybe at some point an STI, a real "race gun" would benefit me but right now...I'm not there yet. I think any SA trigger that is crisp with a 3-4 pound pull is sufficient for anyone to shoot accurately.
    If it fast enough at that weight? I don't know I haven't been able to shoot faster than my gun allows yet, if I ever get there i will re evaluate.

Site Supporter
    I like a 3lb trigger, I run that weight on most of my guns that have been across a smiths bench.
    Three pound for me is light enough but not too light, I can still fell it when I’m excited.
    I experimented with lighter.

That being said, I am in the it doesn’t matter to much crowd.
    As long as it’s not too heavy or gritty and is repeatable you should be ok with a stock trigger.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kmanick View Post
    I got a new Shadow 2 a couple of months ago. Like night and day going from an M&P Performance Center 9L to a CZ. I shoot much much better than I ever have with any other gun with my Shadow 2.
    I saw all of the "lighten this tune that blah,blah blah" and actually got the 13lb spring ,extended firing pin and return spring....................and one month later I haven't taken them out of the package yet.
    1200 rounds later , my DA is nice and smooth and as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, "I prefer a little take up with a nice crisp break, no surprises" . I have that now and am shooting better than I ever
    imagined I could and getting even better by the day. I 've actually decided to throw the Apex forward set sear/trigger package into my M&P as that trigger (even for a so called "competition gun")
    is horrid compared to the stock shadow trigger. Nice take up and crisp break , but the break is still over 6 pounds with 1500 rounds through it.
    I've started USPSA competition /steel challenges/steel Plate comps/Bowling bin competitions... basically anything I can get too, and I improve a little bit more every time I go out.
    Maybe at some point an STI, a real "race gun" would benefit me but right now...I'm not there yet. I think any SA trigger that is crisp with a 3-4 pound pull is sufficient for anyone to shoot accurately.
    If it fast enough at that weight? I don't know I haven't been able to shoot faster than my gun allows yet, if I ever get there i will re evaluate.
    I shoot M&Ps with a couple of other M&P shooters - 6lb M&P trigger with APEX parts seem high. Sometimes there is a tolerance issue, etc. - out of multiple M&Ps, I had one M&P Gen 1 FS 9mm that would not "work" (work = I did not like the trigger feel, it fired) with an APEX FSS trigger package due to such tolerance issues and I pulled the FSS trigger out and went back to the OEM hinged trigger with better results. You should be able to get a 4 to 5.5 lb pull with a M&P with just the APEX USB and SEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I shoot M&Ps with a couple of other M&P shooters - 6lb M&P trigger with APEX parts seem high. Sometimes there is a tolerance issue, etc. - out of multiple M&Ps, I had one M&P Gen 1 FS 9mm that would not "work" (work = I did not like the trigger feel, it fired) with an APEX FSS trigger package due to such tolerance issues and I pulled the FSS trigger out and went back to the OEM hinged trigger with better results. You should be able to get a 4 to 5.5 lb pull with a M&P with just the APEX USB and SEAR.
    No apex parts in there yet that was stock with just a ram installed. I dropped it off with my gunsmith yesterday with the Apex flat face forward Trigger sear set.
    When I pick it up if it's not ...."there it is" nice I will sell it. My buddy went crazy buying and trying stuff this winter and he has a Wilson combat Beretta
    and a Shadow SP-01 Target II that are not seeing much use yet that I could score off of him. I bought the M&P for open optics division "stuff" but I just found out that
    the CZ custom shop has dovetail Optics mount that works with my shield sight so the Target II would probably be the one I go to.
    I do not like the feel of the hinged stock trigger at all anymore so flat faced trigger is a must.
    My Shadow II has really spoiled me
    I hope the M&P works out though, I've been shooting M&Ps for a couple of years now and I have the comp holster belt etc. all set up for it already
    Last edited by kmanick; 03-18-2018 at 08:02 AM.

User Tag List