Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

Site Supporter
    Doesn't Shane Coley run a Glock in Limited? Didn't he and Vogel take 1st and 3rd in iron sight nats?

Granted, their triggers are tuned by Smiths...but then so are their 2011 sporting competition.

My Gen 3 G34 runs around 4.5lbs...a full two pounds lighter than my Gen 4 17...between which I see minimal difference in timed drills and classifiers.

Both of which I shot better than or equal to a Beretta with a 3.5lb SA trigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

Interesting discussion, and it underscores how each of us has our own preferences for guns. My G34 has a nice DK Customs trigger and is light enough that I had to use Federal primers. I still—personally—prefer a tuned p320 trigger, and even more so a Shadow 2. Many other variables there than the trigger though, so it’s hard to isolate.

I guess I don’t disagree with anything from the last few posts—except the easy part of making GM. I’m training for my G card, and it’s a shit ton of hard work. There is nothing easy about shooting hundos on demand, and being competitive at the M level is a challenge, let alone at G. The least helpful ‘advice’ I hear is ‘it’s not that hard’. I guess it’s all how we approach the sport differently that makes it so much fun?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-14-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have found my greatest gains in USPSA from committing to shooting into and out of position, and on the move. I prefer the Walther Q5 trigger, but am currently shooting a 34 MOS with a pretty basic trigger as it reliably holds two more rounds, doesn’t have the potential of a dead trigger from the sear releasing and it reloads easier. In my experience, USPSA field courses are not that gun differentiating.
    Wow - thread drift - but I find it interesting GJM with all the pistols you have tried that you have rotated back to the G34. I always thought of the G34 as "the" Production pistol but is has been challenged with the steel frame TDAs and other polymer competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Wow - thread drift - but I find it interesting GJM with all the pistols you have tried that you have rotated back to the G34. I always thought of the G34 as "the" Production pistol but is has been challenged with the steel frame TDAs and other polymer competitors.
    The problem with the G34 is IPSC. IPSC requires a barrel no longer than 5" and ALL parts except grips, grip tape, and sights, have to be factory available. To shoot IPSC with a Glock it will be a G17 with minus connector, stock RSA, no grip plug, no stippling permitted. For shooters looking to dominate the World that is a turn off. This is one of the reasons Vogel went to Limited/Standard.

I love shooting different pistols, but what stands between me and improving my performance doesn’t have anything to do with equipment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think having a good trigger is more important to the beginner than the experienced shooter. A high level shooter can shoot most anything. A beginner needs all the help they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The least helpful ‘advice’ I hear is ‘it’s not that hard’. I guess it’s all how we approach the sport differently that makes it so much fun?
    On paper it's technically "easy" as in completely doable and physically possible for a good shooter. It's having that level of performance on demand, cold, constantly, that's a real bitcharooniedoonie.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-14-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I’ll try.

Hi Larry, welcome to p-f.

I think what’s trying to be said is that, for most of us struggling Production U/D/C and probably B/A Shooters, having a light tuned 2lb trigger vs. a TDA press isn’t really going to affect your score all that much.

At least as opposed, say, to shooting Mikes, No Shoots, D’s instead of A’s, muffing reloads, shooting to slide lock, leaving steel, borking a stage plan, and so forth.

For most shooters, those things will probably outweigh the importance of a particular trigger enough that they ought to be working on first avoiding mistakes, rather than their equipment.
    I don't understand the argument. getting a light trigger does not preclude one from practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Guy View Post
    I'm new on this forum; anybody know where the 'ignore' button is hidden?

Larry
    Become a paying member and we'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Guy View Post
    Sure will. Pealy getting asked, also?

Larry
    Peally has a dog avatar. That gives you special privileges.

User Tag List