Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by DT Guy View Post
    Explain then, oh wise one-you contended weight of pull didn't matter; I suggested that it might. Elaborate-

Larry
    Because we're talking about "tuning" an already perfectly serviceable trigger, not comparing an 18th century cannon to a modern 1911. But you either know that and just like retarded internet arguments for the sake of arguing or you're exceptionally dense.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-13-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

You've never shot a match requiring such a shot? You should get out more.

Larry
    I’ll try.

Hi Larry, welcome to p-f.

I think what’s trying to be said is that, for most of us struggling Production U/D/C and probably B/A Shooters, having a light tuned 2lb trigger vs. a TDA press isn’t really going to affect your score all that much.

At least as opposed, say, to shooting Mikes, No Shoots, D’s instead of A’s, muffing reloads, shooting to slide lock, leaving steel, borking a stage plan, and so forth.

For most shooters, those things will probably outweigh the importance of a particular trigger enough that they ought to be working on first avoiding mistakes, rather than their equipment.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-13-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I’ll try.

Hi Larry, welcome to p-f.

I think what’s trying to be said is that, for most of us struggling Production U/D/C and probably B/A Shooters, having a light tuned 2lb trigger vs. a TDA press isn’t really going to affect your score all that much.

At least as opposed, say, to shooting Mikes, No Shoots, D’s instead of A’s, muffing reloads, shooting to slide lock, leaving steel, borking a stage plan, and so forth.

For most shooters, those things will probably outweigh the importance of a particular trigger enough that they ought to be working on first avoiding mistakes, rather than their equipment.
    I wouldn't contend any of those things; but the OP asked about the 'best trigger pull for competition', and I responded to a comment stating it didn't matter. Because I was, apparently, talking about cannon (??) instead of modern DA or untuned striker triggers.

Larry
    Last edited by DT Guy; 01-13-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Because we're talking about "tuning" an already perfectly serviceable trigger, not comparing an 18th century cannon to a modern 1911. But you either know that and just like retarded internet arguments for the sake of arguing or you're exceptionally dense.
    I'm new on this forum; anybody know where the 'ignore' button is hidden?

Larry

I wouldn't contend any of those things; but he OP asked about the 'best trigger pull for competition', and I responded to a comment stating it didn't matter. Because I was, apparently, talking about cannon (??) instead of modern DA or untuned striker triggers.

Larry
    The OP also asked how much difference it would make.

The general consensus was (and imho, is) “not much, for the average competition shooter”.

YMMV, and that’s ok.

I'm new on this forum; anybody know where the 'ignore' button is hidden?

Larry
    Click the name, click View Profile, click Add to Ignore List. You'll need it, I'm not nearly the most blunt person here.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    @DT Guy/Larry, please tone it down a bit. Thanks.
    Sure will. Pealy getting asked, also?

Larry

Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

If your goal is to progress in USPSA beyond C class, you need to be able to shoot well, and do it fairly quickly. You might even be competitive in A class just by being able to shoot mostly As, and not miss steel or hit no shoots.

I hope we can all agree that good trigger control is a very important part of shooting well. It’s easier to control a good trigger than a not so good one. That’s one reason why 2011s are not allowed in Production class, and all the lim and open guns have awesome triggers.

Sure, you can go all the way to GM with a Glock, but that’s not the easiest path by far.

I’ve seen small but significant improvements each time I “upgraded” to a gun with a better trigger. I’ll take any advantage I can because my competitors are too.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-13-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have found my greatest gains in USPSA from committing to shooting into and out of position, and on the move. I prefer the Walther Q5 trigger, but am currently shooting a 34 MOS with a pretty basic trigger as it reliably holds two more rounds, doesn’t have the potential of a dead trigger from the sear releasing and it reloads easier. In my experience, USPSA field courses are not that gun differentiating.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If your goal is to progress in USPSA beyond C class, you need to be able to shoot well, and do it fairly quickly. You might even be competitive in A class just by being able to shoot mostly As, and not miss steel or hit no shoots.

I hope we can all agree that good trigger control is a very important part of shooting well. It’s easier to control a good trigger than a not so good one. That’s one reason why 2011s are not allowed in Production class, and all the lim and open guns have awesome triggers.

Sure, you can go all the way to GM with a Glock, but that’s not the easiest path by far.

I’ve seen small but significant improvements each time I “upgraded” to a gun with a better trigger. I’ll take any advantage I can because my competitors are too.
    Good post. Except the Glock GM thing.

Yeah, it took a lot of work but in hindsight it wouldn't have been any faster or easier with a CZ or Tanfo.
    Last edited by wtturn; 01-13-2018 at 09:50 PM.

User Tag List