Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

I have a CZ 85b. Right now it has a 5lb trigger pull. I'm wondering what it the optimal trigger pull for competitive shooting. I understand that a light trigger pull means I can't use the gun for anything other than target shooting.

I can lower the SA trigger pull to 4lbs by changing the hammer spring and the firing pin. Don't know how big a difference this would make.

Thanks,

Randy

It doesn't matter.

Seriously.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I can lower the SA trigger pull to 4lbs by changing the hammer spring and the firing pin. Don't know how big a difference this would make.
    Changing the hammer spring will primarily effect your DA action. In SA mode the hammer spring is compressed so putting a lighter spring isnt really going to make it compress further.

That you intend to lower the main spring to such a degree that it is misfiring and having light primer strikes that you need to change to an extended firing pin is not a good idea. And as said above changing your main/hammer spring will primarily affect your DA pull although it will slightly affect your SA pull. Im not as familar with CZ's as I am Sigs so I dont know whats stock and what its being lowered to etc. I would however recommend you send your CZ to a known smith such as CZCustom or CajunGunWorks and get one of there trigger packages which will be primarily them smoothing and adjusting your trigger parts and not just lowering the tolerances of your main spring.

You can do quite a bit to your CZ to improve it for competition without getting light strikes. Most stock CZ triggers aren't ideal for competition. DA is too heavy and SA has a lot of creep. A lighter mainspring will have a big effect, but you'll likely need to change the FP spring, and some other parts. A reduced power trigger return spring helps as well. You can do it yourself (see http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/19...ofessor-atlas/) or have it done at CGW or CZC. I'm leery of altering sear geometry on OEM parts. If it was my gun, I would order CGW parts or have them do it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    It doesn't matter.

Seriously.
    That's why high level competitors always use stock triggers, whatever the weight.

Oh, wait....

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by DT Guy View Post
    That's why high level competitors always use stock triggers, whatever the weight.

Oh, wait....

Larry
    You're right, my trigger is what's holding me back from making GM

Until you're at a stupidly high tier (or you truly have a dumpster fire of a trigger) it's all academic internet gear chat and something to burn excess income on. That's fine but it sure as hell isn't the reason people's scores are low. Heck, even at god tier shooting it's more convenience than critical.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-12-2018 at 06:30 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I have a CZ 85b. Right now it has a 5lb trigger pull. I'm wondering what it the optimal trigger pull for competitive shooting. I understand that a light trigger pull means I can't use the gun for anything other than target shooting.

Thanks,

Randy
    There really is no "optimal", it's shooter preference. The CZ pistols are capable of really nice triggers that light most primers. You will need a CZ competition hammer, 13 lb hammer spring, extended firing pin, Rami firing pin spring, and a reduced power trigger spring (I personally don't like reduced power trigger return springs in most pistols). This setup will probably get 3 lbs single action with improved characteristics (less creep, which is from the shorter hooks on the hammer). You can go lighter but it will require certain primers.

Lighter is better, obviously, but not to the extent that it negatively affects reliability.

It's easy to go way too far down the rabbit hole of trigger "improvement" when your time would have been better spent training.

My friend is a USPSA Master with a CZ from CZ Custom. His DA is 5# and SA is 2#.

I have a CZ 85b. Right now it has a 5lb trigger pull. I'm wondering what it the optimal trigger pull for competitive shooting.

User Tag List