Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best trigger pull for compeition shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I don't understand the argument. getting a light trigger does not preclude one from practicing.
    Mebbe, but spending time in discussion boards debating the merits of a lightened trigger does kinda take time away from practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Mebbe, but spending time in discussion boards debating the merits of a lightened trigger does kinda take time away from practicing.
    Your use of facts and logic have no place here. This is the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Everyone wants to buy improvement, usually at the expense of training and practice. One sees it time and time again at local matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Everyone wants to buy improvement, usually at the expense of training and practice. One sees it time and time again at local matches.
    Troof.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Guy View Post
    That's why high level competitors always use stock triggers, whatever the weight.

Oh, wait....

Larry
    I've recently gone back to a stock trigger on my G34 because I got tired of issues with after market strikers/trigger work on my Glocks. Amazingly, my accuracy and performance in matches and standard drills hasn't changed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Your use of facts and logic have no place here. This is the internet!
    Hello! Dog avatar...!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

For context: I'm currently about 81% - A class, my experience has been all Glock until a few months ago when I switched to a tuned CZ SP01, 5.5# DA 2.5# SA. Once I got used to the gun, my classifier scores and match positions have gone up slightly, mostly because I'm just more confident with the CZ which results in more confident/aggressive shooting.

I think a predictable, clean trigger of reasonable weight is all you need to do very well shooting most drills. Where trigger weight does make a difference is in split speed. Obviously how important that is is a whole other issue but with a glock, I have a very hard time breaking .19ish splits, with the CZ .12-.13 is not uncommon. That may not be much in reality but in a 12 round classifier, the .72 second difference could be 10% or more on a high hit factor stage. I also believe the way the ergonomics/trigger reach fit your hand play into this as well.

So what's the "best"? The shortest, lightest pull that will reliably ignite ammo (with all other factors are equal). Does it account for some performance difference? Yes. Should that be the only (or even a major) determining factor in your selection? Almost certainly not.

Was the type of "competition" ever defined in this thread?

For precision shooting such as Bullseye, PPC and Bianchi Cup, a lighter/smoother/crisper trigger pull is by far the norm. In defensive pistol competition such as IDPA, not so much. So it really depends entirely on the kind of "competitive shooting" you are doing and the level of speed vs. accuracy it calls for: hitting the X-ring of a B27 at 150 feet with a generous time limit requires a somewhat different practiced skill set and equipment selection than hosing the A-zone of an IDPA target at 30 feet.

For the defensive type usually discussed here, I think "smooth" and "consistent" are the desired trigger pull attributes, the actual pull weight is secondary. At least for me, my goal is to use a pistol I would carry for defensive purposes in a competitive environment to enhance my defensive shooting skills with that pistol. So in that regard, it truly does not matter - you learn to master the trigger that your defensive pistol is equipped with.

Of course there are those who "game" defensive pistol competition with trigger enhancements, so perhaps the better question to ask is how light/smooth/crisp of a trigger pull is acceptable (or one is comfortable with) for a defensive pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Around 5 or 6 lbs DA is reasonable for a USPSA Production gun. But to me the quality of the SA is much more important, and not just the trigger weight. Personally, I do not like “surprise breaks”, and prefer some pretravel, a crisp break, and a crisp reset. I’d much rather have a 4 lb trigger like that than a 2 lb trigger without a distinct break and reset.
    Which I understand to be the basis for CZ - TZ gains in popularity.
    IPSC Production requires a minimum 5 lb first shot trigger pull.
    So, better a smooth DA start followed by a couple dozen 3 lb crisp SA than a mushy 5 lb Safety Trigger all the time.
    The idea is spreading in USPSA even without the pull requirement.

Yes, I know about top shooters with Glocks and such things with limited scope for improvement over duty weapon triggers.
    And I know what Gil Hebard said about beginning bullseye shooters who don't need a finely accurized pistol until they can quit flinching away ten points per string.
    I am in the middle ground, and yes, I can buy a few points with a "match" trigger, light and crisp or even light and smooth like my Burwell S&W. I can even buy points by shooting IDPA ESP with .45 midrange and clipping a few extra scoring lines with the big bullet.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I also think that you can buy confidence, and it is a huge advantage in USPSA to shoot fearlessly and with certainty that you can make any shot. If one trigger type does that for you, I’d say it’s worth the cost. If you have that confidence with any gun—even better.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List