Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons from 12,000 gunfights

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    About the only thing I'd disagree with is the usefulness of pepper spray in defensive scenarios. OC/CS is for non-compliance, not for assaults.
    A non-compliance tool for use by regular folks?

civiliandefender.com

Site Supporter
    I would think so. Given the proper context, a potential attacker ignores and fails to comply with the "Get away from me, leave me alone!" command. They have earned a face full of OC before they get to the hands on part. That would be based on PA laws for use of force. Other locales may be different.
    Last edited by Jason M; 12-06-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    On a parallel note, I accessed Mr. Rehn’s site, and noted he has an evaluation/test(drill?) around “minimum standards” put forth by Ed Head of GUNSITE fame, and a retired BP Agent. Concealed carry standards, relevant to the data from the conference. 3 to 10 yards, a couple of main hand strings, some with two targets, all from concealment. I tried it, and was gratified to clean it.
    FWIW, honestly working an evaluation like this seems advisable and instructive.
    I thank Mr. Givens for calling attention to it and Mr. Head and Mr. Rehn for their work.

link to course of fire used?

About the only thing I'd disagree with is the usefulness of pepper spray in defensive scenarios. OC/CS is for non-compliance, not for assaults.
    Its good for animals though.

Additionally I had a situation with a guy (while I was walking the doggies) who's dogs were loose. Our mountain dog (on a leash) was surrounded and I saw his reaction go into a attack mode (which means those dogs were about to die) I started yelling at him to get his dogs and the guy bowed up at me, out came the spray before I even thought about it and he stopped in his tracks (police later were on my side).

@DAB: if you go to Krtraining.com, and use the search button-“Ed Head”, takes you to the blog post.
    Also has other interesting drills and tips.

Very interesting. I like it when data brings out some reality checks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @DAB: if you go to Krtraining.com, and use the search button-“Ed Head”, takes you to the blog post.
    Also has other interesting drills and tips.
    found it. thanks.

http://blog.krtraining.com/minimum-s...ractice-drill/

Site Supporter
    As taught by Cecil Burch et al, in defense against assaults, OC is a non-contact poke in the eye. It may or may not incapacitate, but it should give you time and opportunity to increase distance.

Run away! Run away!

As I cannot carry a firearm in my office building, I do carry OC and a flashlight. And my 18yo son with his public contact minimum wage job, and my school teacher wife, also carry OC and a flashlight. And my anti-gun nurse sister as well (her husband is one who should not have a gun in the house - I have already removed one for them).

Nothing is really absolute.

I don't think there is a down side to carrying OC. It does show that a CCW holder at least thought about less lethal.

Backup guns. I'm sure they aren't being used when a gun malfunctions, but I still believe a second gun is a good idea if you can access it when access to your other is limited in some way.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I had to read it a few times and noodle it over. I think we're misreading his post.

BBI is not saying that pepper spray is useless in defensive scenarios. I think he's saying that pepper spray is useful in the MUC (as Southnarc would call it) phase of a defensive conflict. . . and that's what it's designed for. Once the conflict goes hands-on (assault), pepper spray looses it's usefulness.
    David S.

User Tag List