Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30 LEM 9mm 2 Failures to extract with CCI Blazer Aluminum

I'll clean regularly and shoot it up and save the better ammo for later. Up to about round 700 was OK.

I will not depend on it though.

Thanks guys.

Site Supporter
    I may be the odd man out here, but I have never had a problem with the Blazer aluminum in my P30sk or my P2000 through literally thousands of rounds (mix of 115 and 124 grain). For quite a while it was our department provided training ammunition. I also have run a few hundred of the Winchester steel case without issue through the P30sk just to see how it would do. While it did not show any failures to function, accuracy was terrible.

I have also run thousands of rounds of the aluminum in outside training classes and never had a problem, mostly through Glocks. It is not match grade accurate, but it has never caused me any issues either. Sample size of one.
    Polite Professional

I bought a case of that 3578 stuff back when ammo prices were a bit nutty (2012), and while I don't remember any extraction, feed, or ignition problems, I didn't like the sparks nor did I find the accuracy all that great shuffling them through my P30. Haven't bought any since.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    No problems with aluminum cased ammo through a Glock, after several hundred rounds at least. I clean my guns as soon after shooting as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Any thoughts ?
    Clean your pistol next time. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I was doing a lot of shooting with a P30 9mm a few years ago I found that the following three did not like to extract and/or feed in the stepped chamber.
    Blazer aluminum
    Russian steel
    Aguila 124gr.

Winchester Value-Pack 9mm tends to have case rims and extractor grooves that are all over the place out of spec.. I stopped using it years ago after frequent extraction issues with pretty much every pistol I owned from a Gen 1 Glock 17 to my wife's PPQ and my P2000s, all of which were usually as reliable as sledge hammers.

MagTech is my "go to" FMJ these days, in both 115 and 124 I've found it to be consistent and reliable.
    I also like S&B and RWS.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-04-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I've used Federal Champion 180gr Aluminum .40 in both my P30L and VP40 without any adverse effects or stumbling -BUT- I clean and lubricate my firearms after use, and leave a final light film of Weapon Shield in my chambers and barrels. It may be noteworthy that I've also never fired more than 150 rounds of it in a session. While I've never chrono'ed the .40 Federal Champion, I know that their 9mm is loaded towards the light side.

While I don't use the aluminum-cased stuff for "important" matches, it has performed with zero operational issues for me for practice and local matches. Otherwise, I'll step up to American Eagle, with it's heavier loading and bass cases.

As others have mentioned, HK specifically recommends against use of aluminum- and/or steel-cased ammunition, suggesting it can induce functional issues, and in speaking with Federal Ammunition, they recommend tha brass-cased ammunition will likely work better in weapons due to how it fire-forms to the chamber and eases extraction.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-04-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    When I was doing a lot of shooting with a P30 9mm a few years ago ...
    Did I see some thread/post where you are currently shooting a P30 in .40S&W? If so, any ammo issues with the .40S&W?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Did I see some thread/post where you are currently shooting a P30 in .40S&W? If so, any ammo issues with the .40S&W?
    I have a P30L in .40.
    All I've ever fed it is Federal HST, Winchester "purple box" and Underwood Penetrators.
    100% reliable with all of them.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    No problems with aluminum cased ammo through a Glock, after several hundred rounds at least. I clean my guns as soon after shooting as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Does your Glock have a stepped chamber and capable of 1" accuracy......or do you need to buy a special barrel for match level accuracy? If you want to shoot non NATO spec crap ammo reliably, I highly recommend not shooting HK's. Current HK stuff is also sprung for modern loading that are much different than 115 grain training loads. One huge benefit I found to the stepped chamber is it will not chamber out of spec stuff, and won't fire it out of battery. For me, these are all benefits.

If shooting aluminum cases Blazer and steel cases ammo is a priority, HK is not for you. This is like the folks who insisted on shooting lead "training" ammunition in the old days and the P7's sucked because they got messed up shooting lead ammo. Thankfully, there are many choices out there for things that will shoot "budget" ammunition.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List