Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HK P30 LEM 9mm 2 Failures to extract with CCI Blazer Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IDK but I've been really impressed with the S&B and Fiocchi 9mm and .45 I've shot this year when I couldn't get Lawman. I didn't see good precision from MagTech a few years ago and never looked at it again. Same for the PRIVI stuff.
    Lawman is always my preferred and mostly what I stock, but I’ve been using Fiocchi for over 20 years and always been pleased with it. Mid 90’s Fiocchi was the easiest to acquire for me in 357sig so I’ve used it ever since. Never had an issue with their ammo in all that time. Just using 124gr 9mm these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The one nuclear round I had was green and white box Remington (worst domestic ammo I've ever used).
    The only squib load I ever had was at a class, using some of the Remington UMC green/white box 9mm. Didn't hear the primer pop, and was just about to pull the trigger after the tap-rack, when instructor grabbed me in a "strong two-hand grip" - - - fortunately just before the -bang. There was a 115gr bullet pretty solidly lodged about half way up the barrel. Plus, that stuff is, or used to be, awfully sooty.

Never had any problems with inexpensive Magtech or S&B in HKs (or anything else for that matter).

Saw 2 squibs last week in a teammate’s G23G4 with Lawman 180g. I head the primer pop on the first one- too many shooters for my to hear anything on the second. Both projectiles were stuck in the leade, which fortunately would not let the slide fully close on the tap/rack round behind it.

We reamed the first projectile out, on the obvious assumption of bad ammo. After the second we deadlined the pistol with the round still in the barrel. It’s currently at Glock. I still think a bad lot of ammo, but other shooters were shooting from the same case without issue...
    Last edited by DpdG; 12-04-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

We had some issues with this yesterday, while shooting Blazer Aluminum in our P30SK, and P30. The most concerning was with the SK; i had bought a new 15r HK mag, and was breaking it in. I loaded it w/15, and had two bangs, then click. I tried to open the slide, but could not; kept tugging on it, and still no luck. Finally, I pulled even harder, and it opened, but the case was stuck in the chamber. I removed the slide from the gun and was able to remove the case.

On the P30, my wife was shooting, and the last round failed to enter the chamber; it was about halfway out the mag, but somehow got stuck, and would not enter the chamber. As noted above by someone, my gun was not pristine clean, but I've never had this issue with any brass case ammo, and didn't realize HK advised against it; lesson learned, now I need to find a home for 550 rounds that i have left, and use that money to buy more brass case rounds.

*the other 198 rounds fired just fine, and accuracy was great, at 3-5 yds, but I'll stick with brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Does your Glock have a stepped chamber and capable of 1" accuracy......or do you need to buy a special barrel for match level accuracy? If you want to shoot non NATO spec crap ammo reliably, I highly recommend not shooting HK's. Current HK stuff is also sprung for modern loading that are much different than 115 grain training loads. One huge benefit I found to the stepped chamber is it will not chamber out of spec stuff, and won't fire it out of battery. For me, these are all benefits.

If shooting aluminum cases Blazer and steel cases ammo is a priority, HK is not for you. This is like the folks who insisted on shooting lead "training" ammunition in the old days and the P7's sucked because they got messed up shooting lead ammo. Thankfully, there are many choices out there for things that will shoot "budget" ammunition.
    "

I was the thread starter. I have taken BD’s advice about this and many things HK.

If you must shoot aluminum case clean every time you shoot or every 200 rounds which ever is more frequent. Aluminum has Less lubricity and sticks in the chamber more.
    I used up al the aluminum I had and do not want any more. I had to use a rod to remove stuck cases.

Does no one RTM on these things?

I shoot only reloads in my P-30. It's all range pickup and every brand under the sun. Probably 500 rds so far and no hiccups but it's all brass.

Alum. and steel cases are garbage and the reason the ammo is so cheap, or at least it used to be. Reloaders won't touch the stuff.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I shoot only reloads in my P-30. It's all range pickup and every brand under the sun. Probably 500 rds so far and no hiccups but it's all brass.

Alum. and steel cases are garbage and the reason the ammo is so cheap, or at least it used to be. Reloaders won't touch the stuff.

ditto. However, when I get exceptionally dirty brass, (because I ran out of cleaning media) I can start getting failures to extract. Might happen once every 1000 rounds, but does occasionally happen. Never had a problem with clean ammo though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    "

I was the thread starter. I have taken BD’s advice about this and many things HK.

If you must shoot aluminum case clean every time you shoot or every 200 rounds which ever is more frequent. Aluminum has Less lubricity and sticks in the chamber more.
    I used up al the aluminum I had and do not want any more. I had to use a rod to remove stuck cases.
    @1slow Thanks, I'll keep that in mind (cleaning advice). The takeaway seems to be that 'aluminum is okay, but problems are more likely to occur, so buyer beware'. Next time, I'll be sure to clean the barrel, and bring a rod. Honestly, 1 problem round out of the 200 we brought isn't terrible, but I wasn't expecting it, so it seemed worse in the moment. My nephew says his G19 and Beretta 92 eat it just fine, so I'll sell 5-6 boxes to him, and deal with the other 5, and not go there again, unless it's a must. I didn't see aluminum as "junk", just inferior to brass, and bought 750r @ $29.95 Steel case definitely seems to qualify as junk, and I'd never buy that unless it was just a box or two, in a pinch.

Thanks for the replies, I always learn something here, which is why I became a site supporter. This place is the best!

Site Supporter
    Just got myself into this as well. Didn't read manual on the ammo section. Found this thread and was like "doh!!!!!!!!!"

Picked up a pair of P30s.

Got about 800 rds down range with random brass of various manufacturers. No issues.

Got some steel case that had free shipping and wow...I have to punch the casings out of the chamber from the muzzle end with a cleaning rod. Out of 400 rds I have about 60 stoppages. (and the rounds print all over the place whereas the brass rounds were stunningly accurate.)

This ammo is getting sidelined its that bad. I might try it in a B92...not sure.

User Tag List