Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are there any minimal tension handgun grip/recoil management techniques?

Whope gripping the gun obviously helps with recoil control, I think it’s biggest benefit is it allows you to press the trigger faster. And, as TGO says, the way to shoot faster is to press the trigger faster.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Damn auto spell.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Damn auto spell.
    Yeah, autocorrect is on crack, ESPECIALLY if it inserts "whope" for any word you mis-spell

OP: If you haven't yet read Brian Enos' Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals, you should.

<http://brianenos.com/shop/shoppractical-shooting-beyond-fundamentals/>

Hi guys. IMHO you need to grip as hard as you can (and exercise your grip strength) to the limit where the gun almost start shaking in your hand right before the "Deadgrip"
    This top shooters you see on Youtube like Miculek, Bob Vogel, Ron Avery which got some Youtube videos of how he exercise and strengthen his own hand grip,
    even Ernest Langdon on one of his videos said "this guys grip is so powerful they can CRUSH your hand" or something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VP4X6FVa4E about minute 7:30 general grip and grip strength about 8:20

Bottom line this guys don't have any Voodoo magic that don't let the gun recoil, just very very strong hands and crushing grip power.

Simong.

Are there any minimal tension handgun grip/recoil management techniques?

I took my BJJ instructor to shoot a handgun (G17) for the first time on Friday. It was very interesting. His grip strength is off the charts. The gun pretty much didn’t move from recoil. He had virtually no windage error in his groups, but a big vertical error from mashing the trigger and from his strong hand sympathetically squeezing. It was a good indication of how a very strong grip can buffer a poor trigger pull, but also can cause some problems unless applied properly.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Hm I have a related question since crush grip has come up.

What’s the feeling on push pull these days? Something worthwhile to control recoil, or is it an outdated practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Hm I have a related question since crush grip has come up.

What’s the feeling on push pull these days? Something worthwhile to control recoil, or is it an outdated practice?
    Push/pull is generally advocated by Paul Sharp and Ernest Langdon. Their approaches are slightly different, but the basic premise is the same.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Push/pull is generally advocated by Paul Sharp and Ernest Langdon. Their approaches are slightly different, but the basic premise is the same.
    Thanks, if I manage to track down Paul at Tac Con 18 in Little Rock, I’ll ask him.

It has its place. Not common but it's still out there.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List