Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are there any minimal tension handgun grip/recoil management techniques?

@JohnO--Yeah, there is one local GM in particular whose hand I avoid shaking. Fist bump! But, I think we can agree that there's much more to this than massive hand strength.
    @wtturn--I'm not sure about that. Increasing grip force can add some trigger control problems, as well as solve them. We didn't have time to drill down into his technique, but my next step would be to have him relax his strong hand a bit and work on pulling the trigger straight back without moving the sights. His vertical stringing was almost certainly due to sympathetic squeeze of the fingers of his strong hand.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Another vote for the max force crush grip, here. Among other things, if the three fingers on the grip-frame are already closed at max force, they can't inadvertently squeeze any more in response to the trigger finger's movement; the crush grip is a proven cure for "milking" the gun.

Additional commentary on the topic respectfully offered here: https://gunsmagazine.com/why-tight-is-right/ .

In addition to the many recognized experts quoted there in support of the very hard grasp, add another. I recently had the privilege of interviewing Brian Zins, winner of an unprecedented twelve National Championships in Bulls-eye at Camp Perry. When I asked him how hard he grasped his pistol, one handed shooting at the little X-ring from the 50 yard line, he answered "Hard enough to squeeze the oil out of a 1911," or words to that effect. (Interview should be up soon at ProArmsPodcast.com.)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Hm I have a related question since crush grip has come up.

What’s the feeling on push pull these days? Something worthwhile to control recoil, or is it an outdated practice?
    I've mentioned it before, but when my grip strength was severely compromised due to nerve damage I found EL's push-pull very helpful.

I think you'll all find this article by Melody Lauer of interest:What’s Wrong With My Grip?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Are there any minimal tension handgun grip/recoil management techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have the best results when I grip the fuck out of the gun without noticing I’m gripping the fuck out of it. Heavy guns yield less crappy results under free recoil, and I’ve been amazed how well I can shoot my Shadow 2s WHO compared to lighter guns. Light guns—at least for me—require a very firm grip, not just for recoil management but for accuracy.

My advice is to do part of your practice (dry & live) overgripping the gun, and then back off until you don’t feel so much tension. Hopefully, your default grip force will increase over time. Mine has. A lot.
    A pro photographer took some nice pics at yesterday’s match, and I thought these grip closeups might be helpful. In the first picture I was surprised by how deformed my fingers look from the grip force. I can’t remember any time during the match when I thought about gripping hard or felt like I was. (During dryfire, I often notice how fatigued and painful my hands feel.)

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-14-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List