Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here (Not Police) carry handcuff keys?

Banned

Does anyone here (Not Police) carry handcuff keys?

People have suggested to me that I should always have a handcuff key on my person in case I get handcuffed by a criminal. Given I've been in handcuffs exactly once in 52 years, it kind of seems like a waste of time to me. What does The Collective think?
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-26-2018 at 05:51 PM.

I still carry one from force of habit despite being retired.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've never seen a criminal use cuffs. Always zip ties or duct tape. Not that it could never happen, but I'd be more concerned with temporary restraints.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

To me it’s like everything else we carry. Stuff we hope we never need but if we do not much else will help. As far as whether it’s a good idea or not, I’d say it depends on your environment more than anything else.

One thing I’d point out though is if you get detained by LE for any reason... expect a negative and suspicious reaction to them realizing you have a cuff key on you. And if you don’t tell them, and they take you to jail you’ll probably get extra charges when they do find it.

I think most of the "urban sere" stuff is Walter Mitty fantasy, though I've dabbled in it myself.

I tried the tiny TIHK key and couldn't get it to open my S&W cuffs when my hands were behind my back. Not enough leverage. With practice I'm sure someone can make them work, but there are better ways to spend your energy than practicing low low low probability scenarios.

The main lesson from SERE school is don't get caught (not how to escape when captured.)

Growing up, dad had one of the last full service gas stations in town, a Sunoco. All the OHP guys would come in to get the Ultra 94 octane. They gave me a handcuff key (I was grade school) and I’ve carried it on my keychain since I started carrying keys.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Might be a good idea by the 2nd or 3rd date.....just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Might be a good idea by the 2nd or 3rd date.....just in case.
    There was this time in Miami involving a pair of flex cuffs and a trip to the fire station to get 'em removed...but that's fodder for another day.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    One thing I’d point out though is if you get detained by LE for any reason... expect a negative and suspicious reaction to them realizing you have a cuff key on you. And if you don’t tell them, and they take you to jail you’ll probably get extra charges when they do find it.
    I can justify having it. I'm a security guard and my license says I'm handcuff certified. I haven't been detained or arrested in 28 years so that's really not a concern.

My last key got taken when I reported for jury duty and went through security there. They asked if I was LE and when I said lol they made me hand it over.

Thanks for eminding me, I need to replace it.

User Tag List