Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacramento police officers to exchange lethal shotguns for less-lethal 'beanbag' guns

Sacramento police officers to exchange lethal shotguns for less-lethal 'beanbag' guns

Last edited by Wendell; 12-03-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    "...the ultimate goal is so that we're saving more lives."

See 00:30 - 00:45 (of the video).

The Sacramento Police Department is putting all sworn officers in the department through less lethal training for bean bag shot guns, pepper ball launchers and impact rounds.[/URL]
    Nothing says "holidays and good cheer" like bean bags and pepper balls...

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with receiving the training and knowing when to avail yourself of the proper equipment for a given mission.
    That said, having the right equipment available for officer safety is paramount. So I hope she's not implying that the officers will no longer have access to proper shotguns and ammo or a patrol rifle.
    Last edited by blues; 12-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.

We did this 15+ years ago when we got rifles.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    We did this 15+ years ago when we got rifles.
    Agreed - I have NO issues with this switch AT ALL as long as the officers still have access to carbines/rifles for longer range engagements...

As a guy who has no LEO or MIL experience I am curious. If a guy is running at you w/ a knife or baseball bat and you nail him w/ a beanbag, how does that affect him?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    As a guy who has no LEO or MIL experience I am curious. If a guy is running at you w/ a knife or baseball bat and you nail him w/ a beanbag, how does that affect him?
    Usually like you just hit him with a baseball bat, but not always. Like any other use of force, some mentally ill, people under the influence of certain drugs, and some just jacked up on adrenaline don’t always feel the effects the way “normal” people do.

A guy running at you with a knife or a baseball bat is a lethal threat. Like a taser would never want to employ a bean bag shotgun against such a threat unless you have another officer providing lethal cover. If the bean bag doesn’t work they are getting shot.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    We don't have many beanbag shotguns, but you aren't allowed to have both a BB and a real one. The BB have bright orange furniture.

Can’t get the video to work, but are they training with LL stuff or are they having the real things taken away. I have 0 issues with Officers knowing how to use various tools. It’s never a bad thing. However, if they are loosing a lethal long gun and can only use LL shotguns then it’s a retarded policy that will end up getting people hurt or killed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Can’t get the video to work, but are they training with LL stuff or are they having the real things taken away. I have 0 issues with Officers knowing how to use various tools. It’s never a bad thing. However, if they are loosing a lethal long gun and can only use LL shotguns then it’s a retarded policy that will end up getting people hurt or killed.
    They have patrol rifles.

As BBI stated you don’t want to mix standard and LL shotguns.

In some departments LL shotguns etc are restricted to supervisors or certain a specially trained officers. Making them availible department wide is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

In some departments LL shotguns etc are restricted to supervisors or certain a specially trained officers.
    We're just the opposite. Everyone is trained on the LL shotgun. Only SWAT uses any sort of lethal shotgun ammo. And we only started doing that again a few years ago when we had a warrant that potentially dealt with dealt with lions, tigers and bears. And Pitbulls.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List