Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: My strange love of the Combat Masterpiece

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Got the four inch 67 on GB as well. What load do you guys like with the 67?
    For carry? The old FBI / Chicago PD load - 158 grain Lead SWC Hollow Point +P.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I am always fascinated by old police gear. I started in 2007, so I did not get to experience a lot of the old school gear being carried around me.

What is the difference between a Model 14 and 15? Is it just sights?

This is tempting......

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/722260071
    15 has a tapered barrel. 14 has a heavier bull barrel profile.

Look at the first picture Dagga Boy posted in Post 29. You can see the straight wall / bull barrel profile of the M14 as contrasted with the tapered barrels on M15/M67.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-03-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For carry? The old FBI / Chicago PD load - 158 grain Lead SWC Hollow Point +P.

Like this?

http://www.sgammo.com/product/38-spe...an-ammo-ppr332
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

No, that's not a hollow point. This one https://www.luckygunner.com/38-speci...l-le-50-rounds or another manufacturer's equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Got the four inch 67 on GB as well. What load do you guys like with the 67?
    For general shooting, I’ve had good luck with both the Geco and S&B 158 grain FMJ FP loads. The older RWS packaged FMJ FP stuff shoots awsome as well but doesn’t seem to be available any more. I think the Geco replaced it. The Fiocchi 158 FMJ RN has also shot well for me in several guns. For defensive use in 4” or longer guns, the 158 SWC HP loads from Winchester, Remington or Federal work well. The Federal load seems the hottest for some reason, I really did not enjoy shooting it out of an airweight J frame and actually stopped after 3 rounds it was so painful.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    It will vary by region. Hoyt break fronts were very popular on the west coast and were issue holsters for quite a few agencies, inluding LAPD. Clamshells were a common private purchase with LAPD officers and some bay area agencies. LASD used to issue Safety Speed break fronts, but did not authorize clam shells.

I worked for a suburban SoCal PD. In the late ‘70s, my first duty holster was a Hoyt that I purchased for my 5” M27. We issued the Safety Speed breakfront with M14 and M15 Smiths. I have one for my 6” M14. When we went to the 686 in the early ‘80s, the issue holster was a S&W security holster bought as part of a package deal with the guns. I bought a high ride Gordon Davis thumb break because I hated the clunky look of the issue one. Subsequent to the Hoyt, I used a swivel clamshell for a 4” K frame and later had Safety Speed modify it to fit the issued 686.

The Safety Speed break front holster that was common in the ‘70s and ‘80s:
    Attachment 22104
    I used that holster in the 90’s, before I switched to the Bianchi Judge! Armored Transport issued those up into the late 90’s before they switched to I think Uncle Mike’s PRO-2’s.

civiliandefender.com

Oh yeah...and Hoyt’s were made in my hometown, Coupeville WA.

civiliandefender.com

I had wanted a 2" M15 ever since I read Chuck Taylor's edition of the "Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery." Finally found one at a local shop for a decent price:

Shoots pretty good too:

Site Supporter
    Last edited by HCM; 12-04-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What kind of holsters did those of you who carried revolvers use? What about reloads ?
    Around here about 99% of folks used black basketweave Hoyt front-break (or AE Nelson version) and then Safariland. Most used Speedloaders with a preference for HKS.

User Tag List