Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My strange love of the Combat Masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have a 4” M15 and. 4” M18. A 2” M15 has been on my want list for some time.
    If I come across one I'll be sure to give you a heads up. My old issued model was a great shooter.

@KevH - on a slight diversion from topic, I gotta ask - were the guys carrying M25s in 45 Colt with a rural or big city agency ? Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    My 2" Model 15. Shot it at the Revolver Round up in Dallas a few days ago. Now wearing some Spegel boot grips instead of the John Hurst ones:

Attachment 22067

This one is a replacement for my first one that I bought brand new in 1975 for $135 and stupidly sold. Paid quite a bit more for the replacement.
    Calling dibs on the Hurst grips......

Just a note....LT. Dave shot that gun like a boss in class and we noted that it was a great example of being like riding a bicycle. After a little warm up and reacquinting with rolling a DA trigger he shot great and his gun handling skills were super well honed. It was fun to watch him, Mark Fricke and Wayne all run guns as lefty's. They came from the "figure it out yourself, hippy" era of how to teach lefty's in LE.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Just won an auction on a two inch 15 on GB — what grips do I want? Any other info, on preferred ammo or other things relevant to this revolver?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just won an auction on a two inch 15 on GB — what grips do I want? Any other info, on preferred ammo or other things relevant to this revolver?
    I ll call you.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    @KevH - on a slight diversion from topic, I gotta ask - were the guys carrying M25s in 45 Colt with a rural or big city agency ? Thanks !

We're a suburb of San Francisco. SFPD issued 4" S&W Highway Patrolmen with a smattering of S&W 58's all the way up until the mid 1990's when Officer Jim Guelff was murdered (they transitioned to the Beretta 96F and then in 2004 to the SIG 226R 40 S&W). I would say the entire SF Bay Area was about half S&W N frames and half S&W Combat Magnums with a smattering of Colt Pythons from about 1970 to the early 1990's when everyone switched to autoloaders.

My own department issued the S&W M&P (pre-Model 10) with pencil barrel up into the 1950's. Mid-1950's they switched to the S&W Combat Masterpiece. Then they issued the Colt Series 70 Governments from 1973 to 1984 or so and then issued the new fangled S&W 659 and later 5906 up until 2001 when we went to the horrid SW99 in 40 S&W (no one actually carried them, guys were giving loans to academy students to buy a better gun). S&W switched us to the M&P in 2008 for free and we've been issuing them ever since.

We have a very liberal personally owned sidearm policy. During the revolver days the 4" 25-5 was EXTRMELY popular at my PD followed by the Colt Python. Surrounding agencies were almost all Combat Magnums either 19's or 66's (that's what I grew up seeing everyone carrying and what most guys that were about to retire were carrying when I started).
    Last edited by KevH; 12-03-2017 at 02:48 PM.

I have a nice 4" barrel Model 15, and I like all K frames, but my favorite continues to be the 2.5 inch Model 19. With 158 grain ammo those things tend to be lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    We're a suburb of San Francisco. SFPD issued 4" S&W Highway Patrolmen with a smattering of S&W 58's all the way up until the mid 1990's when Officer Jim Guelff was murdered (they transitioned to the Beretta 96F and then in 2004 to the SIG 226R 40 S&W). I would say the entire SF Bay Area was about half S&W N frames and half S&W Combat Magnums with a smattering of Colt Pythons from about 1970 to the early 1990's when everyone switched to autoloaders.

My own department issued the S&W M&P (pre-Model 10) with pencil barrel up into the 1950's. Mid-1950's they switched to the S&W Combat Masterpiece. Then they issued the Colt Series 70 Governments from 1973 to 1984 or so and then issued the new fangled S&W 659 and later 5906 up until 2001 when we went to the horrid SW99 in 40 S&W (no one actually carried them, guys were giving loans to academy students to buy a better gun). S&W switched us to the M&P in 2008 for free and we've been issuing them ever since.

We have a very liberal personally owned sidearm policy. During the revolver days the 4" 25-5 was EXTRMELY popular at my PD followed by the Colt Python. Surrounding agencies were almost all Combat Magnums either 19's or 66's (that's what I grew up seeing everyone carrying and what most guys that were about to retire were carrying when I started).
    Thank you !

A Very interesting read

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Didn't their gunsmiths cut their Model 14s from 6" to 4"?
    I don’t think so. However, my Department did cut down their Model 14’s. A local gunsmth did the mod and reinstalled the patridge front sight. I had one issued to me when I was a reserve. It shot spectacularly well and I was very disappointed when I had to turn it in for a new Model 15 when I got hired as a regular.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List