Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: My strange love of the Combat Masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I'm curious. Is there any difference between the Model 14 also known as the K-38 and a 6" Model 15 like different front sights?
    Per 3rd edition of Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Supica & Nahas: Model 15, The K-38 Combat Masterpiece
    "Originally offered with a 4" pinned barrel, and then offered with a 2" pinned barrel...later offered in 1986 with a 6" or 8 3/8" barrel, all of which were machined with a narrow rib on the barrel"

So the primary difference between a Model 14 with a 6" barrel and a Model 15 with a 6" barrel was the width of the barrel rib.

The standard front sights were also different
    The front sight of a Model 15 was the Baughman Quick Draw front sight on a plain ramp.
    The front sight of a Model 14 was a Patridge front sight (1/10" or 1/8" wide)
    S&W offered a variety of custom front sights, but these were the standards per the catalog

FYI: the Model 15 with 6" barrel (and 8 3/8") was introduced in 1986 (Model 15-5)
    Engineering change to Model 15-6 in 1988 (same time that the 8 3/8" and 2" barrel were discontinued)
    The Model 15 with 6" barrel was discontinued in 1992, a short production run compared to the Model 14

Quote Originally Posted by wlktheduk View Post

Per 3rd edition of Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Supica & Nahas: Model 15, The K-38 Combat Masterpiece
    "Originally offered with a 4" pinned barrel, and then offered with a 2" pinned barrel...later offered in 1986 with a 6" or 8 3/8" barrel, all of which were machined with a narrow rib on the barrel"

So the primary difference between a Model 14 with a 6" barrel and a Model 15 with a 6" barrel was the width of the barrel rib.

The front sight of a Model 15 was the Baughman Quick Draw front sight on a plain ramp.
    S&W offered a variety of custom front sights, but these were the standards per the catalog

FYI: the Model 15 with 6" barrel (and 8 3/8") was introduced in 1986 (Model 15-5)
    Engineering change to Model 15-6 in 1988 (same time that the 8 3/8" and 2" barrel were discontinued)
    The Model 15 with 6" barrel was discontinued in 1992, a short production run compared to the Model 14
    Yes in theory, but as they say on the S&W forum, "Anything is possible with S&W."

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Yes in theory, but as they say on the S&W forum, "Anything is possible with S&W."

Okie John
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by wlktheduk View Post

Thank you Mike!

I prefer fixed-sight revolvers and always have. So my personal interest in the Combat Masterpiece is a bit of a mystery, even to me. I think it might be the lines with the stout barrel, platform, and Baughman ramp topper. It looks business and classic. Not the hipster classic but an aesthetic that truly stands the test of time. The gun is slim enough to be a field companion yet heavy enough to really take 38 Special to a nearly decadently smooth experience. Wide hammer and adjustable rear leave one willing to put larger, truly comfortable stocks on the gun as it's not meant for true concealment. And it shoots every bit as well as any other K-frame.

Shooting my stainless variant in an austerity 3 Gun match was more fun than I can describe. Holding a gun that was aptly named something so daring as Combat Masterpiece as I reloaded behind cover to pop back out and lay down six more plates was satisfying to my core. Carrying it to post-match dinner with a good friend had me feeling better dressed than a chewed old model 10, as much as I love those slick marvels of funtional minimalism:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    This is what the M67 and Spegel grips look like together. It's dirty because I just shot the Revolver Super test with it.

Well that picture just cost me money when I come up in his list again... I don't have any of his ebony grips.

Site Supporter
    Name:  115EF59A-1590-4EAF-BB73-5F18BDF04F66.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  35.1 KB

Model 15-4, Ahrends, Safariland basketweave.

I have a precise predilection for the previous owned pre-Model 15 and pre-Model 18, so yes, that makes me a prevert.

- Bart Noir
    Whose dad owned that Combat Masterpiece before he even owned Bart

Bump because this was a cool thread to read.
    Name:  IMG_20211003_125752~2.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  33.8 KB

M15 with Eagle Secret Service Grips. I traded this for some Oral Surgery. I had the grips in my spare box for 15 years, and here’s where they’ll stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List