Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/U sawed off question

O/U sawed off question

I just got my stamp back to cut off my shotgun to an 11in barrel. My plan was to trim the hand guard back but I like the looks of the recessed barrel.
    Do you think the will break my stock if I shot it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Abbotm2; 11-30-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    In an ideal situation Id have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could be a fist for punching.

I don't know if it will break the stock, but the blast probably won't do anything good to it over time. I would be far more worried about my hand being in the line of fire of that lower barrel.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    I think that you can line the forearm's front interior with thin metal to protect the wood. My guess is not enough pressure is involved to break the wood. Having it checkered with deep and sharp checkering would give traction and "tell" you to keep the hand within a certain region. I'm not in the business but have a gunsmith capable of modifying the fore end, not screw it up, or break the bank.

All those 3 gunners running extended tubes don’t seem to have problems. I’d suspect since the blast is moving out of the muzzle in a relatively straight line as opposed to 90 degrees you’d not have any issues to speak of.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

As someone who once got his hand in front of a loaded, off safe breaching gun, but fortunately didn't pull the trigger, I would highly encourage you to put some kind of hand stop or strap on that.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I always like o/u better than side by sides for break actions...Saw Mad Max, and decided that when the world went TU I was hacking my dad's o/u to carry in a thigh rig....

I have replaced several end cap sling swivels on my Mossy shotties. The blast is more significant than you appreciate. I finally had to stop buying sling swivels for my 590 patrol gun (now being converted to LL so I can get a Rem Tac 14 for breaching...) and get a steel cable sling mount to attach the sling to gun without using the end cap sling swivel. Literally the sling swivels would last between 1 and 20 rounds before the sling was hanging uselessly. I think the reason the extensions on game guns work the way they do is that they are metal, and of a shape that diverts the blast rather than deflects it.

What I would do is remove the handguard and maybe router the center out a bit and then seal the inside with Acraglass. Then countour a hand stop with the front of the handguard so the curve of one flows into the other. Doesnt' have to be huge...maybe a mirror image of the upper curve towards the top muzzle. Or a strap would work too. Also agree that short shotties need a handstop of some sort, because I have seen a 12 ga wound to the hand.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    All those 3 gunners running extended tubes don’t seem to have problems. I’d suspect since the blast is moving out of the muzzle in a relatively straight line as opposed to 90 degrees you’d not have any issues to speak of.
    Here's the crud that forms on my 1100 mag. I think there's enough to create a problem.

Name:  IMG_1683.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  33.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Here's the crud that forms on my 1100 mag. I think there's enough to create a problem.

Name:  IMG_1683.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  33.0 KB
    Is there any perpendicular to the muzzle?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Is there any perpendicular to the muzzle?
    I would think there is just as much as you can see on the rounded magazine tube. I would guess the U of the stock in the OP would soak up a bunch of blast.

Talk about a shotgun with extremely limited to almost zero application!!

I want one.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List