Thread: My Modified Colt 1911 22 (Walther)

My Modified Colt 1911 22 (Walther)

For some reason I can't leave good enough alone.

I recently picked up a Colt 1911 22 Gold Cup Trophy ( Walther ). All the internal parts on the receiver are interchangeable with the Colt version.

I liked the gun as it came to me except there were a few exceptions. It ran 100% using 200 rounds of Aguila Super Extra and 100 rounds of CCI Blazers. The first problem was taking down the thumb safety. Wow, it would get stuck and nothing would help me get it off. I ordered a new plunger spring and pin from Taylor. ( I Ordered 3 of each just in case)

I also didn't like the feel of the safety so I ordered a new one from Brownell's that's a little longer and fits my thumb better.

I replaced the sights with a set of Dawson Precision Fiber Optic sighs. Makes adjustments much easier.

The trigger was set at 9 pounds 6 ounces. A bit too heavy for me so I ordered a Cylinder & Slide Tactical Trigger Kit and that brought it down to 5.5 pounds. I'm going to do some stoning and see if I can get it lower and still be reliable. Cost was for a new jig to cut the sear. I replaced the trigger with one with an overtravel screw. Again, I like the feel. I'll be polishing it when the new jig comes in too.

So, tomorrow I get to shoot it and see if what I've done works with live rounds. Parts for the enhanced trigger will be in tomorrow and I will finish the gun over the weekend.

Nice gun but the "trigger job" was a complete failure. Got to the range and fired my first magazine and had hammer follow on each round. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

The problem was that the sear spring was too weak. I put the original spring back in and went to the range today. Fired 200 rounds of CCI Blazer 36 grain. All went off without a hitch. They also grouped pretty well. Shooting at a Bianchi Tumbstone target I was able to keep everything in the 10 ring with most of my shots remaining in the 4 inch X zone.

Recoil is amazing. There isn't any. The gun weighs the same as a standard Colt 1911. Eighty percent of the parts are interchangeable on the receiver. Upper parts are not. I'm going to put the C&S trigger kit back in but I also ordered a replacement sear spring, hammer and sear just in case.

I think I'm going to use it for a second gun in Steel Challenge shooting Rimfire Pistol Iron. I have red dots on all my other pistols.

The GSG 1911 is what I was originally looking for but couldn't find for over 2 years. Today when I got back from the range I got an email notifying me that the one I was looking at was now in stock. Timing is everything and I think I'm more happy with what I bought.

User Tag List