Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding an RDS to a SIRT

Adding an RDS to a SIRT

Has anybody successfully done this? After several months of practice and testing with an RMR on my Glock, I think I'm ready to transition to carrying it full time. It would be nice if I could duplicate the set up on my SIRT pistol.

RDS on a SIRT

I've never posted anything here before because my personal SOP is to STFU and listen but on this I have to offer what help I can. I scoured the internet for weeks looking for info on this very topic and found almost nothing. I had made the transition to RDS due to difficulty picking up the front sight (presbyopia) and knew the change would require a dedicated training effort to be successful. Having recently (finally) laid down the coin for a SIRT, I wanted to be able to train for the new requirement and not iron sights. I found an inexpensive airsoft clone of my sight (DP Pro) on ebay. At 8o bucks it works well enough and externally is pretty much an exact copy. As far as getting it mounted, I contemplated drilling the slide of the SIRT but could not jump over the cliff of putting a drill to a tool that cost that much. Plus the internals of the SIRT and the pattern of the fasteners would have made it a very dicey ordeal at best. So I settled on another cheap analog I found on Amazon. It's a pseudo-copy of the Raven Balor or Dueck mount that uses the sight channel. The page title is: Outerimpact Red Dot Adapter/Mount for Glock Pistol - M.R.A .

The url is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can say that without a doubt that it has been a huge help in training my presentation from the holster so that the dot is immediately over the target with no (or minimal...) searching for it. The approx $130'ish extra that I had to spend has been well worth it to keep the SIRT relevant to my needs and help me to be a tiny bit better every day. I hope this helps at least a little and appologise for the lack of links.

Just use a dovetail mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

If your normal gun was a Glock with the slide milled for an RMR (not sure if the OP's is or not), how much of a factor would it be to have a different mounting height with the dovetail mount on the SIRT? I have little experience drawing a pistol with a RDS, just wondering if it can be an issue to go back and forth, and curious if a low-mount RDS solution for the SIRT would be a desirable thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Just use a dovetail mount.
    I'd recommend against that. It'll be about 1/4" higher which makes a huge difference (at least for me).

You can just use a dryfire mag for training. The only complaint I have about mine is that there isn't a distinct wall before the break. It feels like dry firing gun with a ghost edge or pro 3.3 connector.
    Last edited by kitten_frenzy; 11-30-2017 at 07:21 PM.

CHPWS will mill a SIRT to accept a dot. Expensive but likely about the best option especially if holster fitment is required.

https://chpws.com/product/next-level...-optic-milling

The factory red dot insert for the SIRT is pretty much a joke. It is just a small plastic hood. No glass or electronics in it. The idea is you activate the trigger take-up laser to simulate the dot. This, in my opinion, will instill bad habits.

I guess I'm actually surprised that NLT isn't pre-fabbing these to take a dot. Use the RMR cut since it is pretty much the current standard. Or mill a big flat and have holes for an RMR, LDPP and whatever. It wouldn't need recoil bosses or to be a precise fit.

PS--I know this is an old thread. Hopefully someone has some more info.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    CHPWS will mill a SIRT to accept a dot. Expensive but likely about the best option especially if holster fitment is required.

https://chpws.com/product/next-level...-optic-milling

The factory red dot insert for the SIRT is pretty much a joke. It is just a small plastic hood. No glass or electronics in it. The idea is you activate the trigger take-up laser to simulate the dot. This, in my opinion, will instill bad habits.

I guess I'm actually surprised that NLT isn't pre-fabbing these to take a dot. Use the RMR cut since it is pretty much the current standard. Or mill a big flat and have holes for an RMR, LDPP and whatever. It wouldn't need recoil bosses or to be a precise fit.

PS--I know this is an old thread. Hopefully someone has some more info.

I believe both UTM and Simunition both have MOS slides

SIRT makes a hood shaped like a red dot. This allows you to practice indexing the laser, i.e. dot, inside the "FOV" of the sight.

It's like 20.00. Works well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    SIRT makes a hood shaped like a red dot. This allows you to practice indexing the laser, i.e. dot, inside the "FOV" of the sight.

It's like 20.00. Works well enough.
    The idea is you activate the trigger take-up laser to simulate the dot. This, in my opinion, will instill bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Has anybody successfully done this? After several months of practice and testing with an RMR on my Glock, I think I'm ready to transition to carrying it full time. It would be nice if I could duplicate the set up on my SIRT pistol.
    Is this for force on force or dry fire? For dry fire the SIRT’s are detrimental to improving and the rds on the slide already shows you where your hit would have been, so adding a laser indicator is redundant.

User Tag List