Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BUG .380 vs. .38 (revisiting late 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have found that research can prove and you can find experts who agree with just about anything you set out to prove.
    There are quite a few of those kind of "experts" to be found, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by QED View Post
    There are quite a few of those kind of "experts" to be found, for sure.
    You're doing quite a good job establishing your reputation as another new user who, for some reason, wants to be seen as a condescending ass. If you decided to read more and post less you would probably be much better received.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    You're doing quite a good job establishing your reputation as another new user who, for some reason, wants to be seen as a condescending ass. If you decided to read more and post less you would probably be much better received.
    That's an interesting response from you regarding my response to a comment by another member about "experts" that I agreed with. However, unlike you, I haven't presumptuously insulted anyone, of course.

Site Supporter
    This is a good thread, please let's not get it closed.

I had great luck with an LCP that worked well and I shot it well. If reliable, the original LCP is what I want in a true pocket gun. Of course in my continual idiotic decisions I sold it.

I've got an order with Underwood for the Lehigh XP in .380 for my wife's 42 and will update with reliability reports. Since we moved back to the hill country I've found my M&P 340 being carried less and less since my performance at rural ranges is nowhere near my 19 or 43.

The more I play with it though the more I think the 42 is a fantastic little BUG. We have not seen any issues after approximately 2k rounds aside from one particular mag that is now thrown away.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

My line of thought is that I carry either wadcutters or more recently Black Hills Lehigh in my .38 special and those both pretty much punch a 0.35" hole through things x 5 with decent accuracy in my hands to 15Y.
    The Kahr CW 380 with Underwood Lehigh punches a 0.35" hole through things x 7 with decent accuracy and faster splits out to 25Y.
    For me, that was an easy switch to make after reliability had been established.
    Intended role is as a pocket carry BUG or inside the domicile/take out the trash at 10pm pocket carry.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I traded for an LCP custom a few months ago. This is my first 380. I put it in the trunk of my car and that's where it's stayed. Today I took it to the range. I have to say I am impressed. I fired wwb and fed HST and it never missed a lick. I have thousands and thousands of rounds through my model 60 but found I shoot the lcp just as good if not better. I have tried air weights and don't find them comfortable. I think I found my new j frame in this lcp.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Intended role is as a pocket carry BUG or inside the domicile/take out the trash at 10pm pocket carry.
    You know, if there was ever a time and place when we should carry anything we dang well please, it is on our own property - especially after dark. I get that the 43 is a convenience thing, but "taking out the trash at 10pm" ezackly when/where shiite goes down. Why not throw the G34 AIWB in ye olde sweatpants and roll that can to the road. Yeah, it'll print like hell (if you even cover it), but who cares?

All this, says the guy who is in the process of breaking in his shiny new G43....

Seriously, I got the G43 for a specific NPE and then thought of using that when just kicking around, but I frequently carry a full-sized Glock when out goofing around on the property because I can and cause 'Murica! I will try to maintain discipline and stick with the real pistols whenever being strictly concealed is not a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    but "taking out the trash at 10pm" ezackly when/where shiite goes down.
    I'll take my chances with a .380 while walking from the back door, across the backyard to the locked gate in the 6' privacy fence (with two alert cow dogs that go ape shit when a mouse farts in the alleyway) where I crack open the gate and toss the bag into the Herby Curby.
    Not much chance of surprise shit going down with my fur covered alarms.
    Besides, the Coonan tends to drag my silk boxers down and that's something even the dogs don't want to see at 10pm.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I end up carrying a 380 a lot more than I would care to lately.

I've found the Kahrs much more capable in my hands at 25 yards than any of the LCP's (LCP I, Custom, LCP II). The Kahr, like a J-Frame, can hold A-zone hits for me at 25. The LCP's seem to fall apart past 15 yards with the same effort expended on my part.

My personal standard with a 380 is to pass Ken Hackathorn's Wizard drill at least once a month if I'm going to carry it.

Glock 42's are easy mode, if you can hide the bulk.

I've pretty much stuck with XTP's, but I'm interested in this new Lehigh ammo.

Shootingthebull410 did some testing with it... his videos are about the best I've seen available to private citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczfeWK9lHw

I'm also curious about the Lehigh's performance on skulls.I remember Chuck Haggard saying 380's bounce of skulls pretty frequently compared to his observation of other calibers. (Primary and Secondary Ballistics podcast)
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 12-26-2017 at 12:53 AM.

User Tag List