Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BUG .380 vs. .38 (revisiting late 2017)

BUG .380 vs. .38 (revisiting late 2017)

I recently put away the J-frame and went back to a micro-.380 (Kahr CW380) for my pocket BUG/ultra-small light pocket gun.
    The main determinator for me was the availability of the Underwood/Lehigh Penetrator 90gr. ammo and how much easier the pistol is to shoot than the revolver.
    Finally a flash suppressed, deep penetrating .380 with a bullet profile that is less likely to deflect off a hard surface than FMJ.

When comparing the Underwood Penetrators to the wadcutters I usually kept the J-frame loaded with the terminal effect differences don't seem to be much different.
    Both will easily go 20"+.
    As far as barrier/bone penetration the .38 does it with weight the .380 does it with bullet profile and solid copper design.
    The wadcutter will come closer to cutting a full diameter hole but the .380 does have a somewhat semi-wadcutter nose on it.

While the .38 wadcutter is probably still the better ballistic performer the differences seem to be so slight that the additional 2 rounds and how much better I shoot the .380 have me pocketing it instead.

Thoughts on the new .380 bullet tech Doc?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

What capability does this ammo have that Buffalo Bore's 380 flat point loads don't? The latter has been around for a decade or more, with good QC, construction, and flash suppressed powder.

Also, what gives with you buying a Kahr 380? I thought we had both sworn them off after our equally disastrous experiences with the P380. Is this one good to go?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

There is a guy on TFB that wrote a review on the CW380, after using one a few years, and was gushing about it in the little pistol niche. I handled one, and it didn’t grab me, but that was just an initial impression.

I can remember teasing Jody years ago about his lounge wear J frame, but for the last month or so, have been toting a 337PD as BUG/work out in light shorts thing, and I love it.

I am less interested in which one you have, and more interested that you just have one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What capability does this ammo have that Buffalo Bore's 380 flat point loads don't? The latter has been around for a decade or more, with good QC, construction, and flash suppressed powder.

Also, what gives with you buying a Kahr 380? I thought we had both sworn them off after our equally disastrous experiences with the P380. Is this one good to go?
    Feed reliability.
    The BB loads (especially the lead and their +P stuff) don't feed worth a crap in the Kahr.

I did swear off Kahr 380's.
    But I'm a glutton for punishment and picked one up for way cheap on Black Friday.
    I also wanted to try out the Underwood Penetrators since they work so well in my .40 woods gun.
    I now have 600 round through it with no feed/bang/eject issues (other than no lock open on empty with cheap FMJ).

This Kahr 380 works.
    The next one might be a complete POS, that's why buying a Kahr is always an adventure.
    I've gone through at least 7 Kahrs and have 3 that work...
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-30-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I can remember teasing Jody years ago about his lounge wear J frame, but for the last month or so, have been toting a 337PD as BUG/work out in light shorts thing, and I love it.
    The CW380 is my pocket gun around the house where I'm at most 30' from a "real gun" at all times.
    If I leave the house it gets replaced with a PM9 at a minimum.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    This Kahr 380 works.
    The next one might be a complete POS, that's why buying a Kahr is always an adventure.
    I concur with this statement. I only gave them one chance with the P380 and it was a failure. Had a PM9 that was incredible though.

BUG .380 vs. .38 (revisiting late 2017)

When I carry a .380, it’s an LCP with the new Underwood XP load. (I was using Hornady FTX). I don’t love the LCP, but I shoot it reasonably well, and it’s been highly reliable.

I’ll admit I don’t get the Kahr thing. When a company sells a bunch of guns that randomly don’t work, that’s pretty much a deal breaker for me and I won’t buy anything from them, let alone carry them for defense. I suppose you could lump Ruger in there given the number of recalls they’ve had... but the LCP 1 seems pretty well vetted.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-30-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    When I carry a .380, it’s an LCP with the new Underwood XP load. (I was using Hornady FTX). I don’t love the LCP, but I shoot it reasonably well, and it’s been highly reliable.

I’ll admit I don’t get the Kahr thing. When a company sells a bunch of guns that randomly don’t work, that’s pretty much a deal breaker for me and I won’t buy anything from them, let alone carry them for defense.
    I've seen pretty much the exact same failure/return rate on LCP's (and polymer Rugers in general).
    My LCP went back once for problems and friend of mine sent his back 4 times before they replaced with another.
    My LCR 9mm went back once.
    My LC9S needs to go back because it drops the mag every two or three rounds.
    The same guy who sent back the LCP multiple times has had his Scout rifle at Ruger longer than he's owned it.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-30-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I've seen pretty much the exact same failure/return rate on LCP's (and polymer Rugers in general).
    My LCP went back once for problems and friend of mine sent his back 4 times before they replaced with another.
    My LCR 9mm went back once.
    My LC9S needs to go back because it drops the mag every two or three rounds.
    The same guy who sent back the LCP multiple times has had his Scout rifle at Ruger longer than he's owned it.
    Ugh. That’s disappointing.

Glock 43 FTW.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List