Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BUG .380 vs. .38 (revisiting late 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ugh. That’s disappointing.

Glock 43 FTW.
    LOL... sorry to say it by my early 43 had to have Glock upgrade a few parts and the magazines...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    LOL... sorry to say it by my early 43 had to have Glock upgrade a few parts and the magazines...
    What symptoms? I have an early one too but it’s been ok.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What symptoms? I have an early one too but it’s been ok.
    Mag insertion, ejection issues.
    They replaced my 33388 mags with 33388-01 mags.
    They also replaced the trigger bar with a XXXXX-01 version for some reason.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I don’t love the LCP, but I shoot it reasonably well, and it’s been highly reliable.
    That's the story on me and my LCP. I bought it used and amazingly it works with ball and Hornady Critical Defense, which I bought only because it was available. I've been back on pocket carry because reasons and it's just more comfortable than my 442. And it's a BUG anyway. I've seen OG LCPs on sale for well under $200, and I might roll the dice on a spare.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I recently tried a range rental G42 on a whim, after saying I'd not be buying a .380, nor a single stack 9mm Glock (since I have a TON of 19/17/34 mags/parts/holsters etc). Shooting it was for sure far easier than my 442, trigger and recoil wise. The trigger was very good, contrasted with the various reports I'd heard saying the 42/43 triggers were not that great. Recoil of .380 vs .38 for sure makes a difference in putting shots on target at speed. I found I was shooting the little 42 as well as my much beloved Glock 19's. I then compared the 42 to the 43 ( but didn't shoot the 43)... and I am re-thinking my ideas and biases about single stack pocket Glocks. I really want to shoot a 43 on my next visit to the range. Keeping logistics simple sticking with 9mm may just get the nod over adding .380 to my ammo stash.

I know they get a bad rap, but I have a Kel-Tec P-32, that makes for a very thin and small NPE gun. After some initial break in, it's ran reliably for me with Fiocchi 73gr FMJ for many hundreds of rounds, even when full of pocket dander. The 42 is not much bigger than the P-32, but it is way more shootable in my hands. I may be selling off the P-32 to help fund a 42 or a 43 soon. The bad news is that I have a veritable pile of .32 ACP brass and bullets, dies, etc that I'll have to give away, since no one in their right mind reloads this tiny little cartridge.

Speaking of cartridges... I don't think .380 is in the same ball park as .38 Special. 130+ grains verses 90-95 grains of bullet weight gives me a bit more confidence the bullet will penetrate. That said, I feel like any expansion of a JHP from a .38 snubby is a bonus. I treat .38 like a would treat .380 anyway: I prefer rounds that will penetrate first, and expand second.

I've never been able to pocket carry in anything but scrubs. My legs/ass are just a little to big that limits my ability to get a grip on something in my pocket.

That being said I think I'd rather a g42(or any reliable.380) over the jframe. The ability to shoot better, faster, plus reloading more efficient all add up to be a better bug.

Fwiw my kahr cw9 works but I've owned it since before the g43 or sheild came out and it would not be my first choice today just due to support.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's the story on me and my LCP. I bought it used and amazingly it works with ball and Hornady Critical Defense, which I bought only because it was available. I've been back on pocket carry because reasons and it's just more comfortable than my 442. And it's a BUG anyway. I've seen OG LCPs on sale for well under $200, and I might roll the dice on a spare.
    Here's a decent deal ..... $169.99 and shipped free:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/ruger...stol-3701.html
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I know they get a bad rap, but I have a Kel-Tec P-32, that makes for a very thin and small NPE gun. After some initial break in, it's ran reliably for me with Fiocchi 73gr FMJ for many hundreds of rounds, even when full of pocket dander. The 42 is not much bigger than the P-32, but it is way more shootable in my hands. I may be selling off the P-32 to help fund a 42 or a 43 soon. The bad news is that I have a veritable pile of .32 ACP brass and bullets, dies, etc that I'll have to give away, since no one in their right mind reloads this tiny little cartridge.
    I've had a P3AT for close to a decade, and (knocking on wood) I've never had any kind of problem with it, other than some cosmetic surface corrosion. I can conceal it much better than a revolver, shoot it somewhat better, and reload it faster as well.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

It's interesting that .380 has apparently become popular as a viable self-defense pistol. Not that many years ago it was rejected as such by experts -- because it lacks in tissue disruption capability.

Quote Originally Posted by QED View Post
    It's interesting that .380 has apparently become popular as a viable self-defense pistol. Not that many years ago it was rejected as such by experts -- because it lacks in tissue disruption capability.
    I have found that research can prove and you can find experts who agree with just about anything you set out to prove.

User Tag List