Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army fields SIG M17 and M18 pistols

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    From a Guard/Reserve standpoint, annual qualification is the only time the Soldier will fire his/her weapon, and it's different with and without battle rattle. While it may not qualify as training, it's as close as they'll get unless they're spinning up for a deployment.
    And the majority of guard and reserve units never use their full annual allocation of ammo. And the majority of Guard and Reserve units never do dry practice or practice squad and team tactics both great opportunities to practice in full gear.

Annual IWQ is for verifying zeros and verifying that Soldiers have the ability to apply basic marksmanship fundamentals. When that has been completed training can start. Unfortunately, most commanders don't see it that way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    And the majority of guard and reserve units never use their full annual allocation of ammo. And the majority of Guard and Reserve units never do dry practice or practice squad and team tactics both great opportunities to practice in full gear.

Annual IWQ is for verifying zeros and verifying that Soldiers have the ability to apply basic marksmanship fundamentals. When that has been completed training can start. Unfortunately, most commanders don't see it that way.
    I am sorry for continuing the thread drift. GreggW - I would be curious to learn more about the factual basis for your comments about the Guard and Reserve units ammunition usage and how they train. There are 54 states and territories with National Guard and Reserve units so your statement seems to be a fairly broad brush. Maybe this should be a separate thread.

The first thing I noticed in the pictures was the position of the fingers/hands on the pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    At 2:20 in the video the safety is on and the shooter attempts to apply ~30 lbs of pressure to it before realizing it. The way the video is cut though you can't tell if the safety was "bumped on" during shooting because it doesn't show the shots before that. I do think the position of the slide release to the safety would tend to cause shooters to either a.) inadvertently bump the safety on when trying to lock the slide to the rear, b.) ride the safety and the slide release and prevent it from locking open on an empty mag, or c.) not riding the safety due to previously mentioned issue and bumping the safety up/on under recoil because of it.
    Couldn't help but notice in a number of the pictures that the soldiers are 'tucking' their rear thumb...besides suboptimal recoil control, this seems a poor choice to manipulate the safety, and risks inadvertent activation of the safety. I'll be curious to see if the revision of TC 3-23.35 Pistol will recommend riding the safety...

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Couldn't help but notice in a number of the pictures that the soldiers are 'tucking' their rear thumb...besides suboptimal recoil control, this seems a poor choice to manipulate the safety, and risks inadvertent activation of the safety. I'll be curious to see if the revision of TC 3-23.35 Pistol will recommend riding the safety...

I believe Ayoob and others have recommended tucked thumbs to avoid inadvertent activation of the controls. It's not the worst grip to teach people who don't spend much time shooting handguns.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On guns where I tend to hit the slide stop I usually just bend my thumb up at the first knuckle and this usually works.

One might almost say you can't fix a software problem with a hardware solution.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Christmas Arrives Early for the 101st as XM17s are Issued!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...7s-are-issued/
    Last edited by Tokarev; 12-01-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Christmas Arrives Early for the 101st as XM17s are Issued!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...7s-are-issued/
    1st Security Force Assistance Brigade (1st SFAB) at Fort Benning is getting theirs are well...
    Last edited by alohadoug; 12-01-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    1st Security Force Assistance Brigade (1st SFAB) at Fort Benning is getting theirs are well...
    Cool. We should be getting some end user feedback pretty soon then.

User Tag List