Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: US Army fields SIG M17 and M18 pistols

Sig Sauer Ahead of Schedule on Delivering New Handgun to the Army

Sig Sauer Inc. announced Friday that it has delivered 100,000 Modular Handgun Systems to the U.S. military as it approaches the three-year anniversary of the U.S. Army contract award. "In the month of October, Sig Sauer exceeded our manufacturing requirements by thirty percent and delivered a record-setting 12,100 handguns to the U.S. Military to achieve this historic milestone for Sig Sauer and the MHS program," Ron Cohen, president and CEO of Sig Sauer Inc., said in a Nov. 22 news release. The Army plans to buy 195,000 MHS pistols, the majority of which will be M17s. The Air Force is scheduled to purchase 130,000, and the Navy plans on buying 60,000 -- both choosing the compact M18 version. The Marine Corps plans to buy 35,000 MHS pistols.
    https://www.military.com/daily-news/...dgun-army.html

Sig NH sped up production.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sig NH sped up production.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Speeding up production doesn't necessarily mean a quality issue. Colt delivered 20% more contract M4s in 2003 to the US Army after being informed of its urgency and there were few reported issues. SigArms was able to deliver P229 .40s 6 months ahead of schedule to DHS after they won the 2004 pistol trials(they worked well for us). Glock was able delivered their contract 19M to start replacing the FBI's .40 fleet a couple of months ahead of schedule.

In the free market, getting contracts completed early or producing more product than scheduled leads to big profits provided that quality is maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    Speeding up production doesn't necessarily mean a quality issue. Colt delivered 20% more contract M4s in 2003 to the US Army after being informed of its urgency and there were few reported issues. SigArms was able to deliver P229 .40s 6 months ahead of schedule to DHS after they won the 2004 pistol trials(they worked well for us). Glock was able delivered their contract 19M to start replacing the FBI's .40 fleet a couple of months ahead of schedule.

In the free market, getting contracts completed early or producing more product than scheduled leads to big profits provided that quality is maintained.
    But it’s Sig. They already have QC issues.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    But it’s Sig. They already have QC issues.
    Yes, but still there’ll only be the same shittyness, not additional shittyness due to increased production.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Yes, but still there’ll only be the same shittyness, not additional shittyness due to increased production.
    We can hope.

I’m genuinely curious other than not issuing a mandatory recall on the 320 for the drop safety issue (which was dumb on sigs part) what other quality issues have been reported with the 320?

Quote Originally Posted by g4pi09 View Post
    I’m genuinely curious other than not issuing a mandatory recall on the 320 for the drop safety issue (which was dumb on sigs part) what other quality issues have been reported with the 320?
    There are two different manufacturers of P320 mags. The “Made in USA” mags are produced by Checkmate and the “Made in Italy” mags are produced by MecGar. I have seen several references to the USA mags being less reliable than the Italy mags.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Yea I saw that thread as well. I never had any issues with the made in USA mags on my original 320 compact but when I sent it in for some extraction issues (both US and Italian mags)and to upgrade the FCU they sent it back with made in Italy mags. I still have a few made in USA mags that I’ve never had an issue with

There are also two generations of mags- early with round baseplate retaining pins and the current with square. The change was as a result of poor performance (self disassembly) during various .gov trials.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List