Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army fields SIG M17 and M18 pistols

I have to agree with bighoss's post above..If they (U.S. Army) aren't willing to invest time into actual training with a handgun, they may as well give them slingshots... This is nothing more than a waste of tax payer dollars..

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    “The specific performance improvements of the MHS over the M9 include better accuracy, tighter dispersion, and better ergonomics, which when combined, result in a far more lethal pistol.”

Experten shooting from 1:25 on:

Thats a nice looking pistol actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I have to agree with bighoss's post above..If they (U.S. Army) aren't willing to invest time into actual training with a handgun, they may as well give them slingshots... This is nothing more than a waste of tax payer dollars..
    Or give them proper rifles. Although this is a pistol forum, we should remember, this is absolutely a secondary personal weapon, in an organization that has tanks, Apaches, artillery, and SS missile systems. Its right there in priority with paper clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Or give them proper rifles. Although this is a pistol forum, we should remember, this is absolutely a secondary personal weapon, in an organization that has tanks, Apaches, artillery, and SS missile systems. Its right there in priority with paper clips.
    I understand that, but if you're going to issue pistols, then why not train people to use it profeciently, as they do with a rifle? What good is a hand gun if you can't use it well. Still a waste of taxpayer dollars, as I don't see what the Sig does better than the M9, It's going to be interesting to see how well the Sig holds up to the typical abuse, poor maintaince that the M9 got..
    Last edited by ralph; 11-30-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    That safety position/ slide stop looks like a nightmare for slide lock if you use the safety correctly
    I was thinking exactly that... has anybody tried this pistol riding the safety with the thumb a la 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    That safety position/ slide stop looks like a nightmare for slide lock if you use the safety correctly
    At 2:20 in the video the safety is on and the shooter attempts to apply ~30 lbs of pressure to it before realizing it. The way the video is cut though you can't tell if the safety was "bumped on" during shooting because it doesn't show the shots before that. I do think the position of the slide release to the safety would tend to cause shooters to either a.) inadvertently bump the safety on when trying to lock the slide to the rear, b.) ride the safety and the slide release and prevent it from locking open on an empty mag, or c.) not riding the safety due to previously mentioned issue and bumping the safety up/on under recoil because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I understand that, but if you're going to issue pistols, then why not train people to use it profeciently, as they do with a rifle? What good is a hand gun if you can't use it well. Still a waste of taxpayer dollars, as I don't see what the Sig does better than the M9, It's going to be interesting to see how well the Sig holds up to the typical abuse, poor maintaince that the M9 got..
    I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasBronco View Post
    I never shot on an indoor range, but I was surprised to see all those soldiers on the firing line without Kevlars. Most likely, it was just a part of the dog and pony show which accompanied the Sig and Army brass patting themselves on the back.
    Many soldiers are astonished to learn that there is no Army reg that mandates wearing full "battle rattle" on the range.
    Unit standards, yes, but no AR.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Many soldiers are astonished to learn that there is no Army reg that mandates wearing full "battle rattle" on the range.
    Unit standards, yes, but no AR.
    Correct. Commanders discretion. I've fought that battle multiple times. I get tired of hearing "train like we fight!" Zeroing is not training. Qualifying is not training. Very few can figure out the difference.
    Last edited by MGW; 11-30-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Is there any evidence for the claim that the P320/M17/M18 is more accurate than the M9? In my experience the 92-series pistols are profoundly accurate. Are they just talking about aged, beat-to-heck M9s or are they making the claim that the 320 is more accurate out of the box?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List