Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army fields SIG M17 and M18 pistols

Quote Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
    Yeah, actually, taking out the whole fcu as a whole, hosing it down and re-inserting, could be easier then trying to clean out the interior of a muddy, dirty Glock.
    I strongly doubt that. First of all, a Glock frame is pretty easy to clean, both in an administrative or field environment. Second of all, when detail-disassembled, Glock components are pretty easy (and large enough for the most part) to permit easy disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. While you can certainly remove the SIG FCU en bloc, I'm a bit unsure if you can adequately clean fine sand, dirt, dust, mud/mud residue, other media contaminants that had worked their way into the innards of the FCU without performing a detailed disassembly.

As Todd Green famously said, a retarded monkey can easily perform a detailed disassembly and reassembly on a Glock. Not so sure if the same applies to the M17/M18, or if you need to be at least at the educated chimpanzee level....

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I strongly doubt that. First of all, a Glock frame is pretty easy to clean, both in an administrative or field environment. Second of all, when detail-disassembled, Glock components are pretty easy (and large enough for the most part) to permit easy disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. While you can certainly remove the SIG FCU en bloc, I'm a bit unsure if you can adequately clean fine sand, dirt, dust, mud/mud residue, other media contaminants that had worked their way into the innards of the FCU without performing a detailed disassembly.
    Agreed. The issue isn't cleaning the polymer "grip module," it's what to do when particulate matter gets into the VERY complex FCU. I might be mistaken, but the last time I spoke to a graduate of the Sig LE Armorer's course for the P320, they were being advised that LE Armorers should NOT attempt to disassemble/reassemble FCUs, and, if anything was wrong with one, to have them returned to Sig for replacement or "depot level" repair. That doesn't fill me with confidence...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Agreed. The issue isn't cleaning the polymer "grip module," it's what to do when particulate matter gets into the VERY complex FCU. I might be mistaken, but the last time I spoke to a graduate of the Sig LE Armorer's course for the P320, they were being advised that LE Armorers should NOT attempt to disassemble/reassemble FCUs, and, if anything was wrong with one, to have them returned to Sig for replacement or "depot level" repair. That doesn't fill me with confidence...
    Are you arguing the military might have acquired something over engineered for the job needed? I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

American Rifleman News on the USMC and the M18:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...l-duty-pistol/

Surely SIG can't be too far off from releasing a P320-M18.

At least the USMC performed and completed a thorough testing protocol before adopting it. That's somewhat reassuring, but personally, I'm still quite wary of the P320/M17/M18. particularly in terms of durability. Time in fielding will be interesting.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    York's use of the 1911 against a charging German bayonet team is probably the most famous single use of Browning's pistol.

Interestingly, the actual site of the engagement was pinpointed in 2006.

Proof offered of Sergeant York's war exploits - Americas - International Herald Tribune

JS, I had never read this before - thanks for the link. Just an amazing feat.

I emailed an acquaintance at SIG this morning. He's saying a civilian M18 will be released late this year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I emailed an acquaintance at SIG this morning. He's saying a civilian M18 will be released late this year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    For the slow like myself, could you take an M18 grip, and put it on a M17 or P320 full size frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    For the slow like myself, could you take an M18 grip, and put it on a M17 or P320 full size frame?
    If you are talking about putting a full-size slide on an M18/Carry grip module, yes. That will work fine. I know a few solid shooters who prefer that setup for the P320, including our own John Hearne.

If you are talking about putting a M18/compact slide on a full size grip module, that'll also work. But the rail/dust cover will protrude out in front of the slide.

I thought the M17/M18 shared the same grip module?

Name:  m17.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  37.6 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List