Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hydrashok vs. Truball (Low recoil versions of both)?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    It's been some time since we used LE127RS at work; we now use the LEB127LRS, and there were years of Brenneke in between, before their QC went south.

The Truball is distinctly more accurate -- 3 shot cloverleafs at 50 yards are not uncommon (these are 14-18" IC barrels). The older hydra-shok style slugs were not nearly as accurate.

Both have worked very well on people; deer, I can't speak to.
    Tell me more about Brenneke QC issues?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Tell me more about Brenneke QC issues?
    I didn't encounter any problems personally, but I think the main issues were out-of-spec hulls that were either too long or too thick -- wouldn't chamber, or once chambered wouldn't extract. I think Brenneke problems were written about here on the forum as well, no? I can only find one thread on a quick search, but I thought there were more...

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Accuracy aside, terminally, "did it matter"?

AS in, did the HS usually provide more pass-through with same expansion, or did the TB "usually fragment while the HS did not", or any other some sort of measurable difference, or could you even tell a HS hit perp from a TB hit perp on the morgue table?
    We don't have that many shotgun OIS, maybe one per year at best, so only a handful with either load. I think both have expanded/flattened and been decisive.

I didn't encounter any problems personally, but I think the main issues were out-of-spec hulls that were either too long or too thick -- wouldn't chamber, or once chambered wouldn't extract. I think Brenneke problems were written about here on the forum as well, no? I can only find one thread on a quick search, but I thought there were more...

If it was the thread I am thinking of, I think there was some confusion. I have been using Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs for the last 25 years with excellent results, and no hint of quality issues.

Ours were the "tactical home defense" load. I have a vague memory of reading about different Brenneke loads (or components) being made/sourced in different places, and one of those being troublesome..?

Sorry I can't be more precise; I had no problems with the stuff myself, only saw one other shooter with a round that wouldn't chamber, then was told it was a frequent enough problem that we were going back to Federal. I'm actually an instructor in the shotgun program, and only saw it once in a class I happened to be working.

Ours were the "tactical home defense" load. I have a vague memory of reading about different Brenneke loads (or components) being made/sourced in different places, and one of those being troublesome..?

Sorry I can't be more precise; I had no problems with the stuff myself, only saw one other shooter with a round that wouldn't chamber, then was told it was a frequent enough problem that we were going back to Federal. I'm actually an instructor in the shotgun program, and only saw it once in a class I happened to be working.

It has been a while, and possible my recollection is fuzzy, but I think the Brenneke “problems” were reported about the time Federal introduced a new slug. Supposedly the Brenneke slugs were suddenly being made somewhere else, with reported quality issues, even though my Brenneke boxes did not indicate a change in the place of manufacture. I always wondered if the “problems” were perhaps encouraged by a zealous Federal sales guy, although that is complete speculation on my part.

Here's an example of accuracy from the Truball load – I took this while zeroing new sights. We zero at 25 yards for urban cop work; the lower group w/ red sharpie is at 25 yards, and the blue sharpie at 50. Not my best efforts, but good enough to convince me to stop f'n with the sights!

The Truball is comparable in accuracy to the prior Brenneke THD, with perhaps a slight edge to the Brenneke. Both are significantly more accurate than the older Federal hydra-shok style slug – I use my remaining stash of that for practice only.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's an example of accuracy from the Truball load – I took this while zeroing new sights. We zero at 25 yards for urban cop work; the lower group w/ red sharpie is at 25 yards, and the blue sharpie at 50. Not my best efforts, but good enough to convince me to stop f'n with the sights!

The Truball is comparable in accuracy to the prior Brenneke THD, with perhaps a slight edge to the Brenneke. Both are significantly more accurate than the older Federal hydra-shok style slug – I use my remaining stash of that for practice only.
    Perfect illustration of the difference between a 25 and 50 yard zero. I zero at 25, which puts me a bit high at 50, on again at 75, and a bit low at 100.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Perfect illustration of the difference between a 25 and 50 yard zero. I zero at 25, which puts me a bit high at 50, on again at 75, and a bit low at 100.
    Yup – I think 25 is the way to go for a defensive shotgun. At 100 I still hold center chest, and they're starting to dip toward the gut, but that's fine; I'm not going to try to get artsy with a neck hold, with my >45 eyes...

User Tag List