Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydrashok vs. Truball (Low recoil versions of both)?

Hydrashok vs. Truball (Low recoil versions of both)?

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammun...pare=706%2C704

It really looks like the Hydrashok performs much better all-around, but especially in the clothed gel portion (which is most analogous to hunting, which is my prime purpose for the ammo, as I've shot far more deer than people...). Is the real-world performance of these that different?

Also, is the TruBall LR that much more accurate (if any) than the Hydrashok LR?

Site Supporter
    For the last several years the TruBall slug has been receiving stellar accuracy reviews by shooters in different gun forums. Reason given is a special wad. I grew up in and hunted in a region where slugs and buckshot were the primary deer killers. I never heard of a slug failing to stop a deer. My unscientific answer to your query is buy the version with a proven accuracy track record--the TruBall.

The accuracy potential for the Truball vs. standard slug is most apparent out of a cylinder bore, at least in my shotguns. The idea behind the wad is to center the slug in the bore, and expand the base to fit the bore. Apparently the big issue with foster type slugs is that they can enter the bore at slightly different angles which can cause problems with accuracy. Also, the wad at the base of the standard slug prevents the gases from expanding the base like a Minie ball, I wold guess. I remember reading somewhere an improved cylinder choke can help with foster slug consistency. My Rem. 870 has a IC choke and it shoots Brenneekes into cloverleaf groups at 25 yards, even with my crappy eyes and XS sights FWIW. It would be good to do a test of the various slugs through Cyl. and Imp. Cyl., maybe I'll do that one of these days.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 11-30-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    For the last several years the TruBall slug has been receiving stellar accuracy reviews by shooters in different gun forums. Reason given is a special wad. I grew up in and hunted in a region where slugs and buckshot were the primary deer killers. I never heard of a slug failing to stop a deer. My unscientific answer to your query is buy the version with a proven accuracy track record--the TruBall.
    This year, I had a slug fail to stop a deer. It was a nice buck at about 30 yards. I had sighted the weapon in meticulously, verified zero both before AND after this incident, and it was dead-on at that distance. I was using a Federal DP slug. The deer was facing me, at about a 45* angle, like this slash: " / ". It had its head down licking/grazing/sucking on a plant. I aimed mid-way up the leg closest to me, as I was elevated roughly 4 meters, I predicted bullet trajectory would enter right at or above slightly the mid-way point of the shoulder facing me, and exit right behind, and slightly low, the off shoulder. I fired, and the deer immediately went DOWN. All 4 feet in the air. DONE. I sat and waited a minute or so, and nada. So I got up out of the stand (I am a novice at this, and I learned today...). I was on my way to the deer when it hauled its arse up, and walked briskly directly away from me. I didn't want to shoot it in the arse and blow its cuts all through its body/meat, and I figured "I hit him well, he just lay there and got more pressure to the pump, he will be down in 30-50 yards anyway, whatever". Well he wasn't. I spent the whole day canvassing the mountain for the deer feeling terrible.

Where did I really hit the deer? Well, we will honestly never 100% know. That is the BIG question here.

That said, I show another deer using the same slug the previous day, and the damage kindof sucked. It punched a clean hole through the lungs and heart. Cookie-cutter. It made a similar hole in and out of the rib-cage as a 5.56 round. Broke less ribs, actually. Deer ran further than the ones hit with 5.56 previous year, too.

In short, I may well have hit that big buck a tad off, and he made off filling with blood and went miles if I only hit lungs, as small a damage that slug did to the lungs. 5.56 SOUPED the lungs. This thing? 1" hole in/out, no bloodshot lung tissue I saw.

Anyway, THAT is my reason for wanting a slug that expands violently and angrily yet holds togather. I still feel bad about the deer, and I know that without finding it, shot placement cannot be confirmed, so there's that. I also learned when it's down...give it time (this is the first time I've seen a deer shot do that). Also...if it's moving SHOOT IT SHOOT IT SHOOT IT! Treat it like a guy with a gun. Better get little meat, than NO meat and a wounded animal

So that is why I am moved away from the Federal DP slugs. Minimal damage on the deer I DID recover, and a lost deer (right or wrong, my fault or the slug's fault, thats the "why" of my feelings on it. You can blame me, the shooter, and I fully accept that blame in absence of a recovered deer. However, the deer I DID recover, my 5.56 does more damage by far. I want a slug that hits like a 5.56, as stupid as that may sound...).
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-30-2017 at 11:47 AM.

I have shot Tru-ball regular slugs before, and did note excessive leading. Have others noted this as well? Does it even matter, or does the wad from each shot wipe out anything truly excessive, etc?

Site Supporter
    You provided us with an interesting and informative narrative of your experience with slugs. A 12 gauge slug's diameter is .729. You have recent experience. At this point I have an opinion, which is that slug prowess depends on diameter and not expansion for its effectiveness. I'm not certain that you will find a slug loading that has the same impressive result as a .223 hollowpoint round at close range. One reason is velocity difference. Let me research the question and report back. In my brain's dim recesses, I think I remember a slug load that may be what you're seeking. It also may be a gimmick.

You provided us with an interesting and informative narrative of your experience with slugs. A 12 gauge slug's diameter is .729. You have recent experience. At this point I have an opinion, which is that slug prowess depends on diameter and not expansion for its effectiveness. I'm not certain that you will find a slug loading that has the same impressive result as a .223 hollowpoint round at close range. One reason is velocity difference. Let me research the question and report back. In my brain's dim recesses, I think I remember a slug load that may be what you're seeking. It also may be a gimmick.
    I prefer to stick with known quantities. The round I used in 5.56 was the RA556B ranger Bonded, and saw the deer killed by my friends using 75gr Gold Dot.
    The expanding slug may not perform like the 5.56, but it should perform 30% better than what I used, should it expand to 1" or so as shown in gel...

30% improvement is...30%. It may also dump more energy into the deer which should result in a larger TC which may indeed cause more damage by far.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-30-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Check out this link for an advanced shotgun shell slug load. Midwayusa has some of this ammo in stock.

http://ddupleks-usa.com

Check out this link for an advanced shotgun shell slug load. Midwayusa has some of this ammo in stock.

http://ddupleks-usa.com
    I've tried it before. Accuracy was erratic for me. Several rounds grouped well, then one would fly 6 to 8 inches off at 50y. Not good enough on the accuracy front for me to test it further

Another random thing. I have noted significant fleet yaw of equal amount from Hydrashok and Truball DP slugs, but none, or not noticeable, from Remington slugger.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.

User Tag List