Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger Finger Stutter

Site Supporter

Trigger Finger Stutter

What causes a trigger finger stutter? (a break in the shot rhythm)

An example would be: A Bill Drill where your 4th split is .40s rather than .20s.

What are the possible causes?
    -Too much tension in the trigger hand?
    -Just a momentary disconnect between the brain and finger?

Brain fart.
    Happens to me occasionally when I really try and push my speed.
    Seemed to happen more when I was really concentrating on releasing the trigger just to reset with Glocks, happens less with the LEM trigger.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Matt Burkett's take:

http://www.mattburkett.com/tip-for-recoil-control/
    The weak hand needs to be an integral part of the two handed grip. For me that is where most of the recoil control happens. Trigger control occurs with my strong hand. Most shooters try to do too much with their strong side of their body. This is a natural thing that we need to overcome for really fast shooting. Fast shooting doesn’t happen when the strong side is tensed up. This is when you will see shooters have trigger freezes, and horrible follow up shots.

Sounds plausible, probably really bearing down on the grip when trying to push the speed.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I like where Matt says "Make sure your relaxed and in a positive position. Tension kills fast shooting." [Emphasis mine.] If you see my toes wiggling on the line you'll know what I'm doing.

Site Supporter
    Overall, I found his article pretty interesting. I'm going to spend my next range session experimenting with some of his ideas.

The only times I've ever experienced trigger freeze, which has been quite a few in USPSA matches, it was invariably a product of pushing too hard to go fast.

Relax, see what you need to see, let your body do the rest.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Horse pucky. One can shoot just as fast with only one hand holding the gun as two.

Site Supporter
    Perhaps some people, particularly if they are strong and have large hands can shoot as fast one handed as two on a particular gun. However, those physical blessings are not bestowed upon every shooter.

YMMV Greatly,

david barnes

I can yank a trigger just as fast with my strong hand only as I can with two hands on the gun - but I certainly can't get hits just as fast.
    Last edited by jetfire; 01-27-2012 at 01:34 PM.

User Tag List