Page 79 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like that quite a bit. The symmetric grip without big finger grooves is especially nice for those of us who like to hold our knives differently.
    My thoughts exactly. I was skeptical because it’s made at Spyderco’s Taiwan factory but the quality is right there with the blades made at the Golden plant. The blade is perfectly centered and razor sharp. The action is butter smooth and man do I love that push button compression lock! I really hope they put it on more of their knives.

I like that quite a bit. The symmetric grip without big finger grooves is especially nice for those of us who like to hold our knives differently.

Oh, I wish I hadn't seen that!
    Love that blade and handle.

One thing worries me tough and it's that button. How easy would it be to unwittingly activate it when holding the knife tightly in a hammer grip or ice pick grip, edge in or edge out?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    One thing worries me tough and it's that button. How easy would it be to unwittingly activate it when holding the knife tightly in a hammer grip or ice pick grip, edge in or edge out?
    It's an issue that has been brought up on a couple of knife forums. I haven't followed the discussion however.

Another potential issue, depending on how the knife is used, is having the blade hang up inadvertently due to the design.

It is good looking, in my estimation.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's an issue that has been brought up on a couple of knife forums. I haven't followed the discussion however.

Another potential issue, depending on how the knife is used, is having the blade hang up inadvertently due to the design.

It is good looking, in my estimation.
    It is very good looking, I agree.

I guess only a hands on examination will tell. When I first saw the Spyderco P'kal in photos, I wondered if, when opening the knife manually, my thumb would end up on the ball bearing lock and unlock the knife easily. Since then, with a lot of hands on use, I have never been able to unlock the knife unless I really meant to and it's become one of my favorite folders.

I'm not sure what you mean by having the blade hang up inadvertently due to the design. Do you mean while using the flipper?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The regular compression lock on the Yojimbo hasn't done that when I've used the trainer. Also, the button is another part for sand to get into.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The regular compression lock on the Yojimbo hasn't done that when I've used the trainer. Also, the button is another part for sand to get into.
    I don't think one can inadvertently unlock one of Spyderco's compression locks, my Yojimbo and PM2 have been bomb proof in that regard.

I hadn't thought about the sand.

I'm not sure what you mean by having the blade hang up inadvertently due to the design. Do you mean while using the flipper?
    No, I mean between the start of the edge and the frame. The design is great for getting the entire edge on a surface or for sharpening, but leaves a potential for it to hang up depending on the material being cut or the care taken. Not a worry for most tasks, I wouldn't think, but something worth noting.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    No, I mean between the start of the edge and the frame. The design is great for getting the entire edge on a surface or for sharpening, but leaves a potential for it to hang up depending on the material being cut or the care taken. Not a worry for most tasks, I wouldn't think, but something worth noting.
    Ah ok, I see that now.

User Tag List