Page 61 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    That's the second of the velcro patches I've seen, that looks incredibly well done -I think you posted the other one as well. Where do you find those little gems of quality art? Thanks!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    That's the second of the velcro patches I've seen, that looks incredibly well done -I think you posted the other one as well. Where do you find those little gems of quality art? Thanks!
    Thanks! They're made by Prometheus Design Werx, and extremely well done, like everything they sell. Their following is dedicated, and when new patches drop, they go fast. They do a lot of limited runs, and secondary market prices can get pretty crazy (IMO). Check Ebay for "PDW patches", and you'll see what I mean. All mine were won in their 2017 Christmas giveaway (see pic below). Easiest way to shop PDW website is using the "In Stock" tab in upper left.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Thanks! They're made by Prometheus Design Werx, and extremely well done, like everything they sell. Their following is dedicated, and when new patches drop, they go fast. They do a lot of limited runs, and secondary market prices can get pretty crazy (IMO). Check Ebay for "PDW patches", and you'll see what I mean. All mine were won in their 2017 Christmas giveaway (see pic below). Easiest way to shop PDW website is using the "In Stock" tab in upper left.

Thanks, Sir!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this was waiting for me when I got home today.

Ernest Emerson's Signature on the side of this one -
    Name:  IMG_3832.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  69.2 KB

An EKI "Signature Series" Fixed Blade Kwaiken, this is #62 of 63 made (got my order in, just under the wire, it would seem).
    Name:  IMG_3827.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  90.0 KB

The green micarta scales on the Kwaik are a different shade than those on my CQC9. Partly, because the Kwaik is rag micarta and the CQC is linen. And of course they're both very different, from the green G10 on my 1911 grips, but you get the point. I might have a problem with green scales and grips. In fact, I'll probably order a set of green linen micarta grips for the 1911 in the next few months, just to things more matchy-matchy. Or maybe OD green G10 Simonich Gunners.
    Name:  IMG_3823.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  75.0 KB

Overall the blade feels great in the hand and balances well. It's a bit handle heavy, as I've found Ernie's designs tend to be. I'm not complaining, the Kwaiken isn't exactly a "chopping" blade, it is primarily for point-driven work. I do kind of wish the sheath was different, it's a medium-thickness kydex fold-over taco, with eyelets on only one side. I'm getting to the point now, where I strong prefer thin-thickness pancake sheaths with eyelets on both sides, this gives the maximum amount of mounting options, without being "too" big. But I totally get it. Given the price on this guy was $269 direct from EKI, I think it was an absolute steal.

Nice Rob.

Wow, yeah. Really nice.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Had a chance to photo this Emerson Kwaiken a bit more, along side a Kwaiken made by late friend Ram Maramba proprietor of |ZERO| Knives.

I really thought it would be kind of neat to see these two executions side-by-side. And I think I was right. The machine finish on the Emerson is really nice, but also quite reflective, compare that to the hand-rubbed satin'ish finish of the |ZERO|, it almost absorbs the light when it's indirect. Both knives balance right around the index finger, the Emerson just a bit farther back, but it's also the longer of the two of course. The biggest difference is the curvature of the blade - with the |ZERO| being much more curved.

First a couple more close ups of the Emerson.

Name:  emerson_kwaik.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  emerson_kwaik_2.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  29.7 KB

Now a couple of close ups of the |Zero|

Name:  1_Zero_kwaik.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  1_zero_kwaik_2.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  21.9 KB

And one of of them together

Name:  both_kwaiks.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  33.4 KB

Ram built great looking knives. There’s one for sale right now, that I keep looking back at

User Tag List